Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Seeking pilot, Bristol. Interesting, quick job for free (sorry)!

Reaction score
Hello I am a professional photographer looking for a pilot who will fly for me for probably just 15 minutes while I operate the camera; which I am proficient at. Pretty safe and easy flying in Bristol probably over this coming weekend. It wouldn't be paid. I'm not being paid. It is an extra I am doing for someone. You would need to be CAA approved and have public liability insurance. My normal pilot colleague is not available. Permission sought and granted subject to pilot paperwork. Look forward to working with you.

Hello I am a professional photographer looking for a pilot who will fly for me for probably just 15 minutes while I operate the camera; which I am proficient at. Pretty safe and easy flying in Bristol probably over this coming weekend. It wouldn't be paid. I'm not being paid. It is an extra I am doing for someone. You would need to be CAA approved and have public liability insurance. My normal pilot colleague is not available. Permission sought and granted subject to pilot paperwork. Look forward to working with you.
So this is the second time (and only your second post) where you are seeking the services of a CAA certified operator for free?
You say it is an 'extra' that you are not being paid for but presumably your client did pay for the 'non extra'?
Perhaps some of your original fee can be off set against paying for a CAA approved RPAS operator.
Or.....reschedule so you can utilise your usual pilot and not pay him either.

Sorry for being so blunt but (as many know on this forum) I always speak my mind and I'm afraid you may be pushing your luck a little too far on the charitable front.

I'd have to agree that this is a big favour thats being asked for.

The responsibility for the safety and legality of the flight rests with the pilot who holds the CAA PFAW. He or she will need to carry out a full risk assessment and be in direct contact with the core client.

A risk assessment normally requires a site visit and liaison with landowners / stakeholders. The ask is for 'probably just 15 minutes' which is pretty disingenuous considering the amount of preparation required for any flight.

By the time anyone gains their CAA PFAW they will have invested a large amount of both time and money. And that's just for the training let alone the cost of, even the relatively modest price of, an Inspire 1 package. I started flying a drone / UAV last June 2014 and estimate that I have to date invested around £7 thousand pounds including the insurance ( that's before I pay for my X5 ) .

So maybe an offer of realistic expenses might demonstrate some respect.

Hi thanks for your input. What you say all makes sense. The project is time dependent. There is no extra public money available. I offered to see what I could organise for them. And offered my part in the flying for free. Just looking for someone to join me. As you know I am a simple cinematographer and nothing without a good pilot. I figured this is the best place to find a good pilot. If you think I'm in the wrong place please let me know. Sorry.

I'd have to agree that this is a big favour thats being asked for.

The responsibility for the safety and legality of the flight rests with the pilot who holds the CAA PFAW. He or she will need to carry out a full risk assessment and be in direct contact with the core client.

A risk assessment normally requires a site visit and liaison with landowners / stakeholders. The ask is for 'probably just 15 minutes' which is pretty disingenuous considering the amount of preparation required for any flight.

By the time anyone gains their CAA PFAW they will have invested a large amount of both time and money. And that's just for the training let alone the cost of, even the relatively modest price of, an Inspire 1 package. I started flying a drone / UAV last June 2014 and estimate that I have to date invested around £7 thousand pounds including the insurance ( that's before I pay for my X5 ) .

So maybe an offer of realistic expenses might demonstrate some respect.

Hi. An excellent reply. Exactly what I would expect from the calibre of people on this forum. Everything you have described is in hand. I should have said 15 mins flying time. The last 'for the love of it' project in my previous post was a 3 day trip so hence I thought it would be useful to try and give a idea of the flying time commitment.

I must preface this with the disclaimer that I in no way mean any disrespect to the op.:) That said, and after reading this and the prior posting to this, many here may not be properly reading between the lines. This may just be a very fine and upstanding 40 year old female who appreciates the company of a man who professionally pilots an Inspire 1.o_O It seems her normal partner meets the description but doesn't seem to be meeting her needs.:( Some of you guys could be passing up a fine opportunity for enjoyable company with common interests. I could be wrong but nowadays you never know.;)

What can of worms have you opened now !?? :p

I must preface this with the disclaimer that I in no way mean any disrespect to the op.:) That said, and after reading this and the prior posting to this, many here may not be properly reading between the lines. This may just be a very fine and upstanding 40 year old female who appreciates the company of a man who professionally pilots an Inspire 1.o_O It seems her normal partner meets the description but doesn't seem to be meeting her needs.:( Some of you guys could be passing up a fine opportunity for enjoyable company with common interests. I could be wrong but nowadays you never know.;)
Hey thanks for your insight. You are correct on all counts, close enough; ie without the innuendo!
It's a beautiful art installation that would be wonderfully revealed if captured from above. But their budget is used up. Shame you don't live in bristol. Nice paint job?!

Reactions: Chnjab
Thank you for the complement on my handy work but even more so for being a good sport! As you obviously realized it was all with tongue firmly in cheek where I've relegated it to attempt to avoid a whole host of different issues.:rolleyes: Good luck with your endeavor I hope you find what you seek and if you ever find yourself tired of a white Inspire look me up as I can make that change to anything you might fancy.
The most amazingly practical thing would be an inspire that could change colour for different jobs to stand out from the background. So hard to see against a white sky or recently I discovered, snowy mountain. Needs a wardrobe of location appropriate outfits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont