Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sent Inspire 2 to DJI twice and still not fixed

SMD

Reaction score
I've heard and read stories about owners sending their I2 to DJI for repair and having it to be sent back up to four times and it's still not fixed. I received mine back yesterday and just returned home after the first test flights. All the firmware has been updated by DJI including the aircraft, RC and batteries etc. As part of the repair all 4 motors are new (or "like new" as part of DJI's BS policy), the main controller module is new, the gimbal vibration absorbing board and cable (virtual layer) (whatever that means) is new, nose cover, esc board module, battery compartment module, sweepback right arm module, sweepback left arm module are all new. I have no idea what most of these components are but they're new along with the props. It seems to me like they rebuilt most of the aircraft but wait for it... it's still not fixed. I sent three pages of detailed notes with the aircraft and pretty much pleaded with DJI to test fly it before sending it back. The aircraft is still unstable. If you were to stand behind the I2 and fly straight away you would see if literally wobbling back and forth. When turning it does that as well. It seems very unstable on turns. There's also what I would describe as a metal vibrating sound. All of these problems were there when I received it back after the first attempted repair. Does anyone have a similar "wobble" to their aircraft? I'm contemplating my next move. DJI has the worst customer service I've ever seen.

I've heard and read stories about owners sending their I2 to DJI for repair and having it to be sent back up to four times and it's still not fixed. I received mine back yesterday and just returned home after the first test flights. All the firmware has been updated by DJI including the aircraft, RC and batteries etc. As part of the repair all 4 motors are new (or "like new" as part of DJI's BS policy), the main controller module is new, the gimbal vibration absorbing board and cable (virtual layer) (whatever that means) is new, nose cover, esc board module, battery compartment module, sweepback right arm module, sweepback left arm module are all new. I have no idea what most of these components are but they're new along with the props. It seems to me like they rebuilt most of the aircraft but wait for it... it's still not fixed. I sent three pages of detailed notes with the aircraft and pretty much pleaded with DJI to test fly it before sending it back. The aircraft is still unstable. If you were to stand behind the I2 and fly straight away you would see if literally wobbling back and forth. When turning it does that as well. It seems very unstable on turns. There's also what I would describe as a metal vibrating sound. All of these problems were there when I received it back after the first attempted repair. Does anyone have a similar "wobble" to their aircraft? I'm contemplating my next move. DJI has the worst customer service I've ever seen.
A video of the actual problem would probably be helpful. Post a short clip of the aircraft doing what you describe.

Unstable flight/hovering of Inspire 2 is in their DNA, period. Most of them is wobbling in hover or slow flight, most noticeably at low attitudes and close-ups. Some are wobble more, some less. It's a Achilles heel of Inspire 2, wind or not. Unfortunately there's no fix for it, IMHO ...

Reactions: Sharpshooter7
Unstable flight/hovering of Inspire 2 is in their DNA, period. Most of them is wobbling in hover or slow flight, most noticeably at low attitudes and close-ups. Some are wobble more, some less. It's a Achilles heel of Inspire 2, wind or not. Unfortunately there's no fix for it, IMHO ...
Here's the problem... this particular I2 never had the type of strange behavior it's exhibiting prior to the two attempted repairs by DJI. It's literally like flying a brand new type of aircraft. I have a substantial amount of time flying I2s so like anyone else you start to acquire significant muscle memory. It's very unstable now and it's affecting the way it flies. One thing that really angers me is the possibility that DJI utilized "used" parts for the repair. I could care less if they certify and warranty them. If I'm paying for a repair (not a warranty repair) I want new parts.

Reactions: MedicFL1
Here's the problem... this particular I2 never had the type of strange behavior it's exhibiting prior to the two attempted repairs by DJI. It's literally like flying a brand new type of aircraft. I have a substantial amount of time flying I2s so like anyone else you start to acquire significant muscle memory. It's very unstable now and it's affecting the way it flies. One thing that really angers me is the possibility that DJI utilized "used" parts for the repair. I could care less if they certify and warranty them. If I'm paying for a repair (not a warranty repair) I want new parts.

If you have a specific issue with your aircraft then we will try and help. However just moaning about DJI’s customer service (or lack thereof) doesn’t achieve anything and we do not need another thread that simply vents frustration.
Take it up directly with DJI....

Thank you.

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

If you have a specific issue with your aircraft then we will try and help. However just moaning about DJI’s customer service (or lack thereof) doesn’t achieve anything and we do not need another thread that simply vents frustration.
Take it up directly with DJI....

Thank you.

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.
In my post I mentioned the fact that my I2 has a specific "wobble" issue. Besides giving my point of view of DJI's policies towards their customers (I'm not the only one) I was looking to see if the "wobble" could be due to a particular firmware or if anyone had a similar experience after repair. That's why I asked... "does anyone have a similar wobble to their aircraft."

Reactions: Sharpshooter7
In my post I mentioned the fact that my I2 has a specific "wobble" issue. Besides giving my point of view of DJI's policies towards their customers (I'm not the only one) I was looking to see if the "wobble" could be due to a particular firmware or if anyone had a similar experience after repair. That's why I asked... "does anyone have a similar wobble to their aircraft."
Still waiting for a video of the problem.

”Wobble” is not very objective.

Once other I2 owners see visual evidence of the issue I’m sure they will advise whether it is normal behavior, outside the usual flying characteristics or signifies a more deep rooted issue.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Still waiting for a video of the problem.

”Wobble” is not very objective.

Once other I2 owners see visual evidence of the issue I’m sure they will advise whether it is normal behavior, outside the usual flying characteristics or signifies a more deep rooted issue.
I recently purchased a low time pristine I2 from the original owner, it exhibits the characteristic described in this post. Love the I2 but this "wobble" is unacceptable. My P4Pro has none of this..............https://vimeo.com/362211428

Reactions: SMD
I recently purchased a low time pristine I2 from the original owner, it exhibits the characteristic described in this post. Love the I2 but this "wobble" is unacceptable. My P4Pro has none of this..............https://vimeo.com/362211428
That's interesting footage. I haven't filmed anything with my I2 since it started the "wobble" but that's what the footage would probably look like. I'm sure the gimbal is compensating as well so the aircraft may actually look like its doing strange things. Mine does. As I talk to others I think one reasonable possibility is a (partially) faulty motor or the communication to one of the motors. DJI won't tell me if any of the new motors are actually new or certified. It's very frustrating in trying to pinpoint the problem. The aircraft seems to stutter a little when making higher speeds turns as well. I was in communication with management at DJI and it's now packed up in anticipation for the third attempt to fix it. I agree with others who mentioned there are a lot of specific flying characteristics to the I2 and it is in no means perfect. But in my case it's such a radical difference it's obvious there's a problem. Sorry for the problems with your new I2. When running correctly it's a powerful tool and lots of fun to fly.

A video of the actual problem would probably be helpful. Post a short clip of the aircraft doing what you describe.

You stole the words right out of my mouth. I make demo videos for EVERYTHING. The attention span of support personnel is shorter than a club owner (inside joke for anyone who has send demo material to performance venues). A video is worth 10,000 words and in some cases, easier to make.

Here's an arbitrary example of a video highlighting a keyboard I was having troubles with. Can you imagine trying to describe this problem in text?

I've made literally dozens of videos like this, which usually net an undisputed RMA and/or refund.

D

Yikes. This reminds me of the old Phantom 1 days on a 2-axis gimbal. That "yaw-seek" drove me mad, so I "upgraded" (HUGE air quotes there) to the DYS 3-axis gimbal. After a gazillion hours of tweaking, my P1 footage was on-par with what you have shown here.

Note: I had changed out the Hero3 lens for a Peau Productions lens, so the FOV was about the same as your Inspire 2.

D

That's interesting footage. I haven't filmed anything with my I2 since it started the "wobble" but that's what the footage would probably look like. I'm sure the gimbal is compensating as well so the aircraft may actually look like its doing strange things. Mine does. As I talk to others I think one reasonable possibility is a (partially) faulty motor or the communication to one of the motors. DJI won't tell me if any of the new motors are actually new or certified. It's very frustrating in trying to pinpoint the problem. The aircraft seems to stutter a little when making higher speeds turns as well. I was in communication with management at DJI and it's now packed up in anticipation for the third attempt to fix it. I agree with others who mentioned there are a lot of specific flying characteristics to the I2 and it is in no means perfect. But in my case it's such a radical difference it's obvious there's a problem. Sorry for the problems with your new I2. When running correctly it's a powerful tool and lots of fun to fly.

I'd be curious to know if your bird does the same thing in ATTI mode. If so, you can eliminate GPS acquisition as the culprit and perhaps nail it down the the FC or IMU.

D

You stole the words right out of my mouth. I make demo videos for EVERYTHING. The attention span of support personnel is shorter than a club owner (inside joke for anyone who has send demo material to performance venues). A video is worth 10,000 words and in some cases, easier to make.

Here's an arbitrary example of a video highlighting a keyboard I was having troubles with. Can you imagine trying to describe this problem in text?

I've made literally dozens of videos like this, which usually net an undisputed RMA and/or refund.

D
Well done! I guess I'll be attempting to capture my version of craziness with a videocamera. This is going to be another challenge with the powers that be at DJI because I'm leaving on a big trip for three weeks and don't have time to even fly beforehand. The saga continues.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I am rather new to the Inspire, but have lots of time with Phantoms (P2, P3, P4). I don't notice any wobble with the I2 compared to any of the Phantoms. Very stable at low altitudes and hover has been my experience so far.

Does anyone have a similar "wobble" to their aircraft? I'm contemplating my next move. DJI has the worst customer service I've ever seen.

As others have said, the i2 is a little less locked-in than other recent DJI craft. It sounds like your's is beyond that though. Have you tried a chilled IMU calibration by chance?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters