Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Some footage I captured and edited for a friend. Shot in New York City.

Pretty easy to figure out -- opening shot shows both the New Whitney and The Standard. Shooting address is 40 Gansevoort St.

View attachment 8853

If that's the case then he's out of Class Bravo, at the launch point at least. B airspace begins a few blocks east.

However there are 12 heliports within 5 miles and it's a built up area. The FAA expect model fliers to notify any heliport with a phone number prior to flight. Definitely a tricky area to fly.

09baab726a99def386ceca13add28801.jpg
c14fbe4090652c86e5fb2eb52feceed1.jpg
4407ed36ae6d9fbf549503ff33037566.jpg

Reactions: SightGeist
I dont want to be a kiljoy here but..... Don't LGA, JFK and have Mode C veils active which means everything from surface to 10,000ft for a distance of 30nM from the airport?

Just sayin.....

I dont want to be a kiljoy here but..... Don't LGA, JFK and have Mode C veils active which means everything from surface to 10,000ft for a distance of 30nM from the airport?

Just sayin.....
If this is the case, the FAA, DJI and everybody else need to update their apps to reflect this.

Can you just launch a drone in NYC like that?

Did you have special permission?
Were the people on the roof under your 'control'?
Was the building under your control?
How about the streets and traffic below?

Why am I asking? I am just amazed. Where I live (Netherlands), I probably would have to have marshals in place to hold up traffic around the building during the operation. And first get all the permissions, after submitting a flight plan and complete risk analysis and mitigation plan to the authorities.
A hobby pilot would NEVER get permission to do something like that, even in the outskirts of Amsterdam or any big city. As a hobbyist, you're not even allowed to fly in any city or within 50m of any building, person, car, animal, anything. Not even when you're 'controlling' them.

Assuming you're a Pro, I was wondering about the preparation you must have gone through, that's all.

If this is the case, the FAA, DJI and everybody else need to update their apps to reflect this.
Always down to the PIC/Pilot to ensure that the flight can be made safely and legally. It is not down to some app I'm afraid.
Flight charts are your best friend in circumstances where you maybe unsure.

Reactions: slim.slamma

Just sayin.....

Unless it has changed from last year or there is a special restriction for the New York Class B airspace it is permitted to fly battery powered drone within the 30 mile Mode C veil. Of course you still need proper permission to operate within the B.

UAs required to be equipped with an altitude encoding transponder must meet the specifications of 14 CFR, section 91.215. Although paragraph 91.215(b) (2) requires a transponder within 30 nm of an airport listed in the cited appendix (the Mode C Veil), an exception is made for “...any aircraft which was not originally certificated with an engine-driven electrical system or which has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed...” Many small UAS are battery operated and therefore do not have an engine-driven electrical system and would fall under this exception.

I'll let the others continue the dialog about the legality of the flight and I'll add my couple of cents worth in reference to the flight characteristics from a consumer standpoint and those cents are; the footage doesn't really serve any purpose in reference to the content and it's all pretty much the same. The aerial footage should compliment the ground footage and used as a "condiment" of sorts, not the whole meal.

I'll let the others continue the dialog about the legality of the flight and I'll add my couple of cents worth in reference to the flight characteristics from a consumer standpoint and those cents are; the footage doesn't really serve any purpose in reference to the content and it's all pretty much the same. The aerial footage should compliment the ground footage and used as a "condiment" of sorts, not the whole meal.
I appreciate your feedback on the actual footage and agree with your assessment @DodgeP.

Nice job... great music selection. the first guy who was trying to make trouble but failing... Look at the production... not some hack flyer. Let the professionals work. Helicopter pilots are pros, and want nothing to do with low flying where this was shot. save you time for screaming at the idiots who are making owning and flying a camera harder for the rest of us responsible pilots. Just saying. my rant for the day.

Always down to the PIC/Pilot to ensure that the flight can be made safely and legally. It is not down to some app I'm afraid.
Flight charts are your best friend in circumstances where you maybe unsure.
That makes sense but it also kind of flies in the face (pun intended) of what the FAA has been trying to beat into all of us as far as using the B4UFLY app.

Last edited:
Nice job... great music selection. the first guy who was trying to make trouble but failing... Look at the production... not some hack flyer. Let the professionals work. Helicopter pilots are pros, and want nothing to do with low flying where this was shot. save you time for screaming at the idiots who are making owning and flying a camera harder for the rest of us responsible pilots. Just saying. my rant for the day.
Thank you @omegaman1965 !!! You hit the nail on the head with everything you wrote.

Nice video. Given the focal length of the lens, you couldn't be more than 75-100 ft over the roof... Would hope to never see a manned craft buzz that close unless it was an emergency services aircraft. Thant said, in Manhattan, I think you can always expect the practice to raise eyebrows. There has just been too many hobbyists doing too many silly things and getting in too deep.

Again, nice video. Agree that you probably only needed 1/2 the ariel footage and maybe a but more ground supported work to fill in. Did you have an OSMO there to attach your X5?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44