Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sometimes it lands. Sometimes it RTH's.

Reaction score
When I press the RTH button on the master controller, sometimes the Inspire lands, other times it performs the Return the Home function. Seems to be inconsistent. Is there something I'm missing?

Reactions: Palin
I believe it was mentioned before that it performs differently depending on how far it is away. Someone else can chime in here but I think if it is within 20 meters it lands and if it is farther out than that it will return. I think it should ALWAYS rth but thats just one mans opinion.

Reactions: Palin
It does indeed say that Editor.
6. Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 meter (65 foot) radius of the Home Point.

What I should also have added, is on each of the occasions that I tried it, it was within a metre or two of the home point. :(

^^^^^^ - What Mazz said! :p

Less than 20m it will land where it is, more than 20m/65ft it will ascend to your preset height (or stay at the height it is if it is already higher) and then return to home and land.

It's all in the release notes......

What I am finding is that the Home point is not as accurate as I would expect. I have yet to have the I1 return to the same precise point (within 1m) that it took off from (even when it is over 20m at the time the button is pressed). Knowing the I1 will land I invariably have to apply some manual lateral correction.

With Pilot App 1.1.1 the Home point is updating to both the aircraft and controller positions accordingly.

^^^^^^ - What Mazz said! :p

Less than 20m it will land where it is, more than 20m/65ft it will ascend to your preset height (or stay at the height it is if it is already higher) and then return to home and land.

It's all in the release notes......
Honest guys. I can read. ;-) As I said in my comment above. "on each of the occasions that I tried it, it was within a metre or two of the home point." I.e. sometimes it landed. Sometimes it performed RTH. On each occasion, it was within 1 or 2 metres of the home point. I.e. it's inconsistent. I accept if sometimes I was flying within or without the 20m of HP, that it would perform different, however, I was not. Hence my post. Cheers.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
So if you fly out over the water from a cliff and your only 40 or 50 feet out and the home button gets pressed its then time for a swim? Not the best of functionality. RTH should always be RTH and not land in a place not of your choosing. Anybody want to vote on it?

I guess I don't understand the need to press the RTH button if the aircraft is 40-50 out? Then again I have never actually pressed the RTH button other than to test its use the first day I flew the aircraft. If I can't land it, I don't fly it.
Exactly!

The reason for trying the RTH is that it was my first day testing the Inspire. Also, as part of our procedures for commercial flying, it's a legal requirement to test failsafe. I'm fully conversant with the WKM and A2 as we fly heavy lifters, and haven't experienced this issue. The Inspire is going to be our indoor and over water rig, so like Kauaigene said, I don't fancy going for a swim if failsafe fails. Normally, I never use, nor plan to use RTH.

OK so maybe the button push is a mistake...sh_t happens and having it land no matter where it is.... that's just wrong. Maybe that should require an additional confirmation of some kind or at least an option to disable RTH if its that close. The auto decent is the part that makes me nervous for cliff flyers such as myself.

OK so maybe the button push is a mistake...sh_t happens and having it land no matter where it is.... that's just wrong. Maybe that should require an additional confirmation of some kind or at least an option to disable RTH if its that close. The auto decent is the part that makes me nervous for cliff flyers such as myself.
But you always have full control during RTH anyway.
Additionally, the resolution of the GPS positioning in the Inspire is around 2.5m so if it was 10 feet away from you it is within its margin for error in any case! :rolleyes:

This makes me think. I fully understand that when pushing the button and enacting RTH will land in current position if within 20M/65ft of Home Position. What happens if the failsafe in enabled (RC loses signal, battery goes critical) will the AC also just try to land where it's at if within the 20M/65ft of HOME? If that Is the case, I can see where that's a bad thing. It's one thing if you have good connection and YOU'VE hit the RTH button and can adjust if you see it landing in the wrong area, but when you have no connection to the AC it's a whole other story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool