Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sony A7R Image Geotags?

Reaction score
Hello,
We just purchased a Sony A7R with the intention of using it for mapping purposes on our M600. We plan on using Ground Station Pro, but we want ensure that we are going to be able to get geotags of images taken during the mission. I naievely figured that the geotagging would be done by the flight controller + onboard GPS, but I think I may have been mistaken. Components of our rig are being shipped currently, so I have no way to verify my mistake or not. If anyone could help clarify or offer a solution, I would be greatly appreciative!

If you turn on subtitles in the go app an .srt file will record gps points. The gps overlay will display if you play back with VLC.

Maybe you take a photo and record a 1 sec clip to cluster info on the card?

If you turn on subtitles in the go app an .srt file will record gps points. The gps overlay will display if you play back with VLC.

Maybe you take a photo and record a 1 sec clip to cluster info on the card?
that won't work in this instance , you will need a third party gps trigger and use the camera totally remotely from the aircraft controller - use the aircraft for the routing only, and use a third party trigger with geo tagging directly into the exif info so you can then take the jpg directly into a processing system taking the gps co-ords from the 3rd party trigger and process.

DROTAG x - Onboard Image Tagging Computer

should do it for you - trigger every 2 seconds should suffice.

Thanks for the feedback. That device is similar to what we ended up going with.

Field of View LLC

We've done a couple test flights already and we've been incredibly pleased with the results. You can trigger based on distance or time elapsed. The calculations to determine either are fairly straight forward.

It is good, and so is their customer support. It's expensive, but seems to be worth it so far. Fairly plug and play solution to an issue that was way more complicated than it needed to be.

Reactions: dasko

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84