Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Square Trade Insurance - Beware Of The Fine Print

Reaction score
The Square Trade insurance policy that we bought from Square Trade ($439.99) for 2 years of coverage. Seemed very legit. All of the reviews for Square Trade are great and we bought it through B&H with the purchase of our Inspire 1.
Coverage amount: $3999
Awesome - We are covered

Unfortunately the Inspire was damaged after a fall.
We filed a claim, they shipped it for free - Awesome
They "fixed" the inspire and sent it back within 2 weeks - Awesome!

Then we put it into flight mode to put the camera on...snap crackle POP! - the plastic component that attaches the repaired arm to the body immediately snapped. The drone was still binding on itself when the arms moved up and down form travel mode to flight mode.

The Square Trade policy:

10. NO LEMON POLICY:
  • If Your Covered Product has two (2) service repairs completed for the same problem and a third (3rd) repair is needed for the same problem, within any twelve (12) month period, the Covered Product will be replaced with a comparable product or a cash settlement will be provided. The cost of the replacement will not exceed Your Product’s original purchase price.
This is not a stereo or a playstation. A drone is something that can seriously harm someone if not repaired properly.
Please beware of this. Do not just check the box. Read the fine print. Luckily we were not able to fly. If we did get off the ground and a different problem occurred someone or someones property could have been harmed.
Square Trade is not a competent company with regards to repairing an item this sophisticated.

I hope they reimburse us for a new Inspire or refund or money to purchase a new Inspire.

The customer service is great, but the policy is flawed with regard to a flying item.

Cheers

Sounds to me like the company did everything they said they would.

Low cost, free shipping, quick turn around, pretty standard policy (i.e. If we can't fix it we will replace it)

Just sounds like the repair didn't go that smooth... and guess what.... That what a preflight inspection is for.

Did you contact them before bashing them?

They did do everything they said they would...except for fixing it. Hopefully they will replace it this go around. And if they do, I still don't think I can fly with peace of mind. If you are a pilot, you would understand
We contacted them and they referred to the No Lemon Policy.

Cheers

I am a commercial rated helicopter pilot, so I do understand. I also understand that just because something is "fixed" doesn't mean it is fixed.... And once again it is your responsibility as a PIC to determine airworthiness of your aircraft.

Your insurance company is just that.... Insurance. The guy who rights your policy isn't the guy who repairs the aircraft. Whoever repaired your aircraft is to blame.... The insurance company did everything they said they would. When you said that it was still broke they once again did their job by referring you to their "no lemon policy" which states that they will attemp to fix it again and if it still isn't fixed... They will replace the aircraft for you.

If you damaged a real aircraft and the insurance company sent your aircraft somewhere to get fixed and the mechanic did a crap job.... Would you blame your insurance company or the guy who repaired your aircraft?

Last edited:
You are completely right and I am glad I am talking with an actual pilot. But the insurance company is the only company we are able to contact. The guy even said he was in direct contact with the repair facility and they assured us that the drone was fixed and tested before sending it back. If they had "fixed" the drone and "tested" it, putting the Inspire 1 in flight mode is literally the first thing you do after turning it on... and the piece snapped while doing so.
They are using the No Lemon Policy as crutch. This is not right, and more over it will put people in danger.

UPDATE:
After 2 months and sending the Inspire back to them twice, we have received the full refund from Square Trade (what we paid for the inspire originally - $3566) not the current price value ($2650) - this was great!
The second time we sent it to them (the repair facility) they did not touch the drone. It was sent back to us exactly the same (broken in the same spot). this was not good - a waste of time!

I feel great about getting our money back, but I still do not trust their judgment on where to send a broken drone and the customer service was horrible in that they did not do what they said they would (provide a list of quality checks on the drone after it was repaired and personal assurance that the manager would oversee that these checks were carried out).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1