Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

ssd card for inspire 2

Reaction score
I purchased a used inspire 2 on ebay that came without the ssd card. I found "2 DJI 512GB SSD for Zenmuse X5R Camera & DJI X5R Card Reader" on ebay and being a newbe and not sure it this is the correct card. Any help appreciated.

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
I purchased a used inspire 2 on ebay that came without the ssd card. I found "2 DJI 512GB SSD for Zenmuse X5R Camera & DJI X5R Card Reader" on ebay and being a newbe and not sure it this is the correct card. Any help appreciated.
Be aware that proper SSD card + reader for Inspire 2 will not do you any good without CinemaDNG or Apple ProRes licence, which must be purchased separately ...

I'm not sure how any of this works. I foolishly assumed the X5S was like any camera and recorded on a chip and you transfer it to you computer.

The X5R must be different from the X5R

I'm not sure how any of this works. I foolishly assumed the X5S was like any camera and recorded on a chip and you transfer it to you computer.

The X5R must be different from the X5R
Your assumptions are correct. Both X5R and X5S cameras are recording video or stills on both SD and SSD cards simultaneously, while the presence of much more advanced SSD card is not necessary. SSD is optional for high quality recordings in professional formats. With SD "chip" you're limited to 4K recordings in either H.264 or 265 compressed format ... You've got a lot to learn about, my friend :) ...

I'm not sure I understand your question ...
Your assumptions are correct. Both X5R and X5S cameras are recording video or stills on both SD and SSD cards simultaneously, while the presence of much more advanced SSD card is not necessary. SSD is optional for high quality recordings in professional formats. With SD "chip" you're limited to 4K recordings in either H.264 or 265 compressed format ... You've got a lot to learn about, my friend :) ...
I'm fortunate in finding this forum. Ignorance is excusable if not ignored:) If I buy the correct SSD and reader I will be able to record 4K in the two formats?

I just noticed something in your reply. I can use SD and SSD cards.
Where do they go on the drone? The rear slot looks like it only takes the advance SSD. (that should have them rolling in the aisle)

I'm fortunate in finding this forum. Ignorance is excusable if not ignored:) If I buy the correct SSD and reader I will be able to record 4K in the two formats?
Correct again. However, SSD card will allow to record with significantly bigger resolution (up to 6K) and in several different formats widely accepted by film industry. I highly recommend to research the issue, starting on official DJI website. And study Inspire 2 user manual thoroughly before anything else ...

Reactions: JDSimpson
Is there some way to take hobby movies or pictures
Write to the onboard microSD card. Also, be aware that if you do go the route of the I2 SSD and ProRes license, the license is not to you, it’s to the I2 serial number. This makes moving to an alternate or backup I2 time-consuming and difficult (requires a China fix). I don’t know if this is/was an Apple licensing requirement or a DJI lack of customer service, but it’s certainly not typical business practice in the US. It’s very annoying and gives the appearance of unchecked greed. Also, as a practical matter, paying for the SSD RAW option is likely a waste of money unless you’d be delivering footage to a very high budget client.

sd card location inspire 2, front, left side.(and I’m not laughing, I do that kind of stuff too)
View attachment 27855
I need new glasses.
Correct again. However, SSD card will allow to record with significantly bigger resolution (up to 6K) and in several different formats widely accepted by film industry. I highly recommend to research the issue, starting on official DJI website. And study Inspire 2 user manual thoroughly before anything else ...
Tks for all your help bud.

Write to the onboard microSD card. Also, be aware that if you do go the route of the I2 SSD and ProRes license, the license is not to you, it’s to the I2 serial number. This makes moving to an alternate or backup I2 time-consuming and difficult (requires a China fix). I don’t know if this is/was an Apple licensing requirement or a DJI lack of customer service, but it’s certainly not typical business practice in the US. It’s very annoying and gives the appearance of unchecked greed. Also, as a practical matter, paying for the SSD RAW option is likely a waste of money unless you’d be delivering footage to a very high budget client.
That sounds overwhelming. A bit like buy an old taxi and finding you can't use it without a medallion;-)

Is there some way to take hobby movies or pictures

Here is a simple answer.

Since you are a hobbiest, this will provide you excellent results.

Get two or three of these. You can record in 4K

9fef781841d64815b1bc0a3674103d34.jpg

That sounds overwhelming. A bit like buy an old taxi and finding you can't use it without a medallion;-)
I don't know what was your reasoning for purchasing DJI Inspire 2 ... Undoubtedly amazing machine, but only experienced photographer or filmmaker can truly appreciate all goods and options she's offering. For average Youtuber (no offence) with no previous experience in aerial imagery this is simply an expensive overkill. That said, with enough persistence on your side you'll be able to get results otherwise impossible with - say - much simpler Mavic drone ...

First thing you need to do is read your owner’s manual and it will show you where you put the micro SD card.
And YouTube is another place to learn everything about your Inspire 2.
I’ve been using the Samsung Pro 64-128gb micro SD cards in my Inspire 2 for several years and they work great and I’ve never had any problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963