Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

ssd card for inspire 2

Here is a simple answer.

Since you are a hobbiest, this will provide you excellent results.

Get two or three of these. You can record in 4K

9fef781841d64815b1bc0a3674103d34.jpg
TKS Barry

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
I don't know what was your reasoning for purchasing DJI Inspire 2 ... Undoubtedly amazing machine, but only experienced photographer or filmmaker can truly appreciate all goods and options she's offering. For average Youtuber (no offence) with no previous experience in aerial imagery this is simply an expensive overkill. That said, with enough persistence on your side you'll be able to get results otherwise impossible with - say - much simpler Mavic drone ...
If I had a coup'e million I'd buy a P51 where a cessna 210 would be more practical. So I guess the reason would be I could. I like the way it looks. It's also a challenge. You've been most helpful, TKS much.

First thing you need to do is read your owner’s manual and it will show you where you put the micro SD card.
And YouTube is another place to learn everything about your Inspire 2.
I’ve been using the Samsung Pro 64-128gb micro SD cards in my Inspire 2 for several years and they work great and I’ve never had any problems.
Thanks for your help. Gland I found this forum.

That sounds overwhelming. A bit like buy an old taxi and finding you can't use it without a medallion;-)
Phillip, also, perhaps a minor point depending on who you’re talking to..... the small “microSD” is a “card” inserted front left of the I2. The long slender SSD is a “Solid State Drive” typically referred to as a “drive” and not a “card.” Some may think of this as splitting hairs, but correct language can be important.

Go to the DJI website and download the manual for the I2. (they don't come with a hard copy, so you likely don't have one with it I assume? Have lots of paper loaded, it's a big manual.) Also download the maintenance recommendations as well as the battery maintenance manual. These are important to follow. That's the first place to start, to familiarize yourself with the craft. While people here are correct that the SSD card will provide a much higher quality image because it's RAW it requires a LOT of media storage and a lot of post-production work to bring that to life. In fact, you don't really get a 'movie' to watch. The files are recorded as individual DNG frames (digital negative files) which are stitched together to make the video. You can imagine how many of these files you end up with if you're recording at 24 or 30 frames per second after you've flown for an hour or so. So you really can't even watch it, especially in 4K without some processing. That's kind of why the MicroSD recording option is there. To give you an immediate smaller 'proxy' file to view.
My clients are national networks and documentary producers, and several times when I have provided 4K RAW content along with the proxy files from the MicroSD card they end up just using the MicroSD proxy content because it was plenty good enough for them and they didn't have to process it (sometimes that a time issue) So don't feel like what you'll get from the MicroSD content is so inferior that it's not usable. It most definitely is, it just depends on what a possible client might expect and be willing to work with. If you're doing this for fun, you'll be very happy with the results. All that said, if you want to use this commercially (and remember you will also need the FAA Part 107 license to do that) the licenses are well worth it. I have a documentary just now making a theatrical release across the country. The opening shot is from my I2, and the RAW image properly processed took my breath away on the big screen the first time I saw it.
Have fun and welcome to the forum!

In regards to the rear SSD slot... hopefully your I2 came with the small plastic "plug" to close the SSD Slot when not used and prevent debris into Chamber.

Agree with advice above... the micro SD Card would be the way to go. The cost of the X5R SSD and reader are much lower than Inspire2 version and for very nice 4K or even 2K video, the micro SD will meet all expectations I'd imagine.

You questioned the up-charge on SSD and required pricey licenses to utilize. Think of it in reverse, the I2 provides a excellent 4K MFT camera with interchangeable lenses, and several other camera options from mechanical shutter X4S to S35 Full Frame. More than enough for Hobbyist and some professional needs. When needed, it provides an upgrade path to higher performance and media formats & codecs by simply adding a license and additional hardware... much better than trading for the next model upward... it's already present.

In contrast... buy a Sony A7, then later decide the A7Riii /4 would be a better fit. Adding a license to a A7 to turn on the Riii features would be easier than trading for A7Riii.

On the micro SD cards... all the SanDisk Extreme series meet the cameras data flow, the upcharge for the 2 higher versions provides a faster burst rate but all share same standard video rate. Only mentioned because you can often find the extreme for $14, and it'll provide same quality.. a 2 for 1 difference.
SanDisk 64GB Extreme microSD UHS-I Card with Adapter - U3 A2 - SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCMBLV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CvhlEb64J8H4Q

Totally agree with your point on "just wanting" and if it's within your budgetary toy funds... you've found a hobby that has a bottomless pit for goodies! Haven't quite sold that angle to my Wife for Porsche GT2 though!

It is a great craft, many possibilities but may yearn a bit in various conditions... but if you're on a purchase run... you might consider filters, extra batteries, 3rd party Apps: Litchi, DroneLink, Maps Made Easy, etc... to name a few. Consider adding a iPad Pro 10" for a larger screen option. All add to the enjoyment of the craft. If you're on a adventurous roll... consider adding a Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom, EVO2 to add to the flexibility of the Hobby.

Have a great time and welcome to the sUAV arena... you can get carried away in gear even as a Hobby! Noticed your profile age, great to see you jump into a new adventure too!

Last edited:
I don't know what was your reasoning for purchasing DJI Inspire 2 ... Undoubtedly amazing machine, but only experienced photographer or filmmaker can truly appreciate all goods and options she's offering. For average Youtuber (no offence) with no previous experience in aerial imagery this is simply an expensive overkill. That said, with enough persistence on your side you'll be able to get results otherwise impossible with - say - much simpler Mavic drone ...

I think you have stumbled upon one of the reasons drones come up for sale so often.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk