Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Starting drone business

Reaction score
What do you need from the FAA to start a drone photography business? And what would you need from the state? P.s I live in Washington

What do you need from the FAA to start a drone photography business? And what would you need from the state? P.s I live in Washington
I don't think you can do commercial photography with a drone right now. .but they are working on regulations as we speak. .
I'm guessing the state would be easier to get the licensing and permits through..and don't forget insurance. .
the faa might require you to get a pilots license and do annual aircraft inspections etc.
so it will make it hard for the small guy who can't afford all the fees and certification to get up and running. ..

333 exception. That requires a pilots license and about $30k to pay an attorney to file all the paperwork for you to the FAA. I think about 13 companies have had their applications approved. Enjoy.

Reactions: Soflms and Rig
I don't think you can do commercial photography with a drone right now. .but they are working on regulations as we speak. .
I'm guessing the state would be easier to get the licensing and permits through..and don't forget insurance. .
the faa might require you to get a pilots license and do annual aircraft inspections etc.
so it will make it hard for the small guy who can't afford all the fees and certification to get up and running. ..
Well I was looking around and it looks like you would need a COA and a exempt permit.

333 exception. That requires a pilots license and about $30k to pay an attorney to file all the paperwork for you to the FAA. I think about 13 companies have had their applications approved. Enjoy.
But why would u need a pilots license to fly and unmanned aircraft?! And what type of license?

Welcome to the world of commercial reality. If it was so easy, everyone would be doing it. I live in New Zealand where the regulations are much more reasonable (pretty common sense stuff) but as a safety precaution I only invoice my clients for the purchase of Intellectual Property Rights for the copyright of the images/video I supply to them. This way, technically I am not filming for money therefore escape the commercial use rules, clearly only on a technicality but that's what the law is all about, right? I still have public liability insurance in case I crash into someone or damage 3rd party property though.

UK LAW. If you intend to fly your aircraft for video or photography for personal or business financial gain the CAA require the user to hold a Certificate from http://eurousc.com/ Showing you can fly control and understand safety law regarding your drone. You don't need a Civil pilots licence. You'll also need 3rd party liability insurance.

Have a read

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP722.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
UK LAW. If you intend to fly your aircraft for video or photography for personal or business financial gain the CAA require the user to hold a Certificate from http://eurousc.com/ Showing you can fly control and understand safety law regarding your drone. You don't need a Civil pilots licence. You'll also need 3rd party liability insurance.

Have a read

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP722.pdf

Since when?

You DO NOT NEED a certificate from eurousc. All you need is 'Permission For Aerial Work' (PFAW) from the CAA in order to work commercially within the UK. Who you use for your training is up to you. There are other courses out there besides BNUC-s which is now falling out of favour.
Eurousc are ONE of the NQE's within the United Kingdom that have worked with the CAA (there are currently 4 with more coming on stream over the coming months) in laying down certain guidelines that the CAA are comfortable with and will take their recommendation to issue PFAW.
Up until now Eurousc has had a license to print money because there has not been any competition. That has all changed now.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
I knew about Eurousc and I am personally going through ResourceGroup, But I am curious who are the other two?

but as a safety precaution I only invoice my clients for the purchase of Intellectual Property Rights for the copyright of the images/video I supply to them. This way, technically I am not filming for money therefore escape the commercial use rules, clearly only on a technicality but that's what the law is all about, right?
And you think authorities won't see through that in a microsecond?
That won't fool anyone except you.

IANAL, but my research and the opinion of my lawyer is that the FAA currently does not have any enforceable regulations that prohibit commercial use. The final outcome of the Pirker case was that he got popped for reckless flight, but the only definitive court outcome regarding commercial use was that the FAA did not go through the proper process yet to regulate small craft (if operated safely), and thus cannot prohibit commercial use. This will change when the new regs eventually come out, but in the mean time, they are illegally harassing operators and people getting COAs are basically getting shook down for money.

More at http://dronelawjournal.com

IANAL, but my research and the opinion of my lawyer is that the FAA currently does not have any enforceable regulations that prohibit commercial use. The final outcome of the Pirker case was that he got popped for reckless flight, but the only definitive court outcome regarding commercial use was that the FAA did not go through the proper process yet to regulate small craft (if operated safely), and thus cannot prohibit commercial use. This will change when the new regs eventually come out, but in the mean time, they are illegally harassing operators and people getting COAs are basically getting shook down for money.

More at http://dronelawjournal.com

Good information. Thank you!

You can obtain your private pilot license for about 7k (depending on state, and even cheaper if you use faa approved simulator ) If they do push towards that. For the person who asked why they require that I see it as this : so the pilot that is flying the uav, has a full understanding of the airspace he or she is flying in. As a pilot of full size aircraft, and rc I'd be pretty pissed off to be flying the super cub down the beach at a legal altitude to fly, and have a Phantom go through my window because someone was flying above 500' hence the factory setting of 400' max altitude

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207