Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stupid question - how do I set camera sharpness?

And -3 on sharpness is actually useable now with sharpening then done in post.

As an side I read a very interesting discussion about compression/decompression on the "other" major RC forum recently and it boiled down to - the jittery-ness many of us have observed in video can in part be tied directly to the way the I1 encodes video and the sharpness level is a major exaggerating factor. In a nutshell, the high levels of sharpness enabled by default cause an undue strain on the decoder to figure out the deltas leading up to then next keyframe, resulting in a artifacting on the decoder side.

DJI guy Tahoe Ed said he'd take the feedback and encoder (recommendation to user more B frames or something) back to DJI to see if they could do anything about it.

Bottom line was: decrease sharpness, your video will likely be smoother as a result.

So -1 or -3 is the question? :)

As an side I read a very interesting discussion about compression/decompression on the "other" major RC forum recently and it boiled down to - the jittery-ness many of us have observed in video can in part be tied directly to the way the I1 encodes video and the sharpness level is a major exaggerating factor. In a nutshell, the high levels of sharpness enabled by default cause an undue strain on the decoder to figure out the deltas leading up to then next keyframe, resulting in a artifacting on the decoder side.

DJI guy Tahoe Ed said he'd take the feedback and encoder (recommendation to user more B frames or something) back to DJI to see if they could do anything about it.

Bottom line was: decrease sharpness, your video will likely be smoother as a result.

So -1 or -3 is the question? :)

With the latest FW I use -3. The sharpness tools available in most decent NLE's are far superior than the god awful sharpening in camera.

I make no secret of my concerns from day one about the Inspire camera and how it was marketed - It IS NOT a 4k camera. It was touted as one purely to sell units and to be a 'market first' UAV with a 4k imaging device on it.
I always said that 4k at 60mbps just does not work. Everyone can now see this but I fear the platform is so maxed out there is no room to squeeze a higher bitrate into the equation. (The camera runs hot enough as it is :confused:)
I absolutely love my Inspire but the camera is crap.
The problem is I think, the clever boffins at DJI are incredible UAV engineers and innovators but they know absolutely nothing about cameras, GOP structures, aliasing, de-bayering, chroma sub sampling, H/V ratios and vertical detail creation:mad:. I so wish they had farmed out the camera side of things to a company that knows what they are doing and had simply worked on an interface to bring the whole control function together.

Anyway...... I digress..... minus 3 it is for me on the sharpening as that's the best of a bad job at the moment.

Reactions: greyhawkimages
With the latest FW I use -3. The sharpness tools available in most decent NLE's are far superior than the god awful sharpening in camera.

I make no secret of my concerns from day one about the Inspire camera and how it was marketed - It IS NOT a 4k camera. It was touted as one purely to sell units and to be a 'market first' UAV with a 4k imaging device on it.
I always said that 4k at 60mbps just does not work. Everyone can now see this but I fear the platform is so maxed out there is no room to squeeze a higher bitrate into the equation. (The camera runs hot enough as it is :confused:)
The problem is I think, the clever boffins at DJI are incredible UAV engineers and innovators but they know absolutely nothing about cameras, GOP structures, aliasing, de-bayering, chroma sub sampling, H/V ratios and vertical detail creation:mad:. I so wish they had farmed out the camera side of things to a company that knows what they are doing and had simply worked on an interface to bring the whole control function together.

Anyway...... I digress..... minus 3 it is for me on the sharpening as that's the best of a bad job at the moment.

Roger that. Have you tried -1 and -2 and settled on -3? Just curious (and looking to save myself experimentation.

Roger that. Have you tried -1 and -2 and settled on -3? Just curious (and looking to save myself experimentation.
Yes.....I took the I1 up into a hover and then shot 3 identical scenes at all the minus settings.
Did that several times over ranging from fields of crops to roof tiles and diagonals, road markings etc.
Then took it all into post and tinkered. Minus three gave me the best results with a small amount of post sharpening to bring it back up.

I have now settled on this until they release another round of FW (or of course they release the next camera and I can throw this one in the trash :))

Reactions: damoncooper
Yes.....I took the I1 up into a hover and then shot 3 identical scenes at all the minus settings.
Did that several times over ranging from fields of crops to roof tiles and diagonals, road markings etc.
Then took it all into post and tinkered. Minus three gave me the best results with a small amount of post sharpening to bring it back up.

I have now settled on this until they release another round of FW (or of course they release the next camera and I can throw this one in the trash :))

-3 it is for me then.

Can I possibly inquire as to your settings for contrast etc.?

I've tried -1 and -3 and for me -1 looks a little worse and -3 looks absolutely dreadful, even after post in Lightroom so I've gone back to 0.
Although the video is better, I still think my Vision Plus took better photos.

I've tried -1 and -3 and for me -1 looks a little worse and -3 looks absolutely dreadful, even after post in Lightroom so I've gone back to 0.
Although the video is better, I still think my Vision Plus took better photos.
But are you running v1.2.1.03 which specifically addressed moire (by altering sharpness matrix (and also sharpness steps were changed in v1.2.1.0)?

In older versions of FW even -1 was unusable now although over sharpening is still evident every step is usable down to -3 which renders the best results.

But are you running v1.2.1.03 which specifically addressed moire (by altering sharpness matrix (and also sharpness steps were changed in v1.2.1.0)?

In older versions of FW even -1 was unusable now although over sharpening is still evident every step is usable down to -3 which renders the best results.

Yes I'm running the very latest FW. I'll try again when the weather improves.

-1 on contrast and -2 for color (Log, obviously)

Hey Editor,

Ever consider writing and selling an I1 photography and video tutorial series. I' be interested. I'm picking up odds and ends as I get more experienced but having a comprehensive source would be very valuable.

Hey Editor,

Ever consider writing and selling an I1 photography and video tutorial series. I' be interested. I'm picking up odds and ends as I get more experienced but having a comprehensive source would be very valuable.
You are not the first person to ask me that :)
Unfortunately, with my other projects/commitments by the time I put pen to paper or camera to YouTube the Inspire 4 would probably be out! :p

I know this is a bit of a necro thread but I'd like to know what the best settings are for the X5 camera if you have a good NLE such as Premiere Pro to do the processing. The X3 is overly sharp at default settings and some complain that the X5 is soft at default settings though I have to wonder how many of those complaining about softness are skilled at post processing.

Shooting in D-log is the best style but some guidance on settings for saturation, sharpening and contrast would be appreciated and again, this is for the X5.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips