Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sweet spot firmware

Reaction score
Hi all especially Donnie and the gang. I’ve read more posts and watched so many videos to this issue.

I have downloaded all the previous Inspire V1 and Pro firmware versions

Currently have 3 Inspires, all with C controllers and all marked a T601 V2. One has a X3 the other 2 have X5’s. All are running 1.11.50, RC 1.7.8 and the current iOS go version.

I was going to downgrade 1 to run the sweet spot AC 1.8.1 with RC 1.6

I’m not going to use the X5 to downgrade , I will use the X3 due to me bricking a previous X5.

My question if you don’t mind:

Can I use the current IOS App version? The previous posts regarding downgrading the iOS app using Charles \ old iTunes don’t work as the Go App is now not on the App Store.

If I use the X3 to downgrade to 1.8 assume it will be the X3 version of the firmware bin. Will my X5 still work?

Hope this makes sense.

Jim

Hi all especially Donnie and the gang. I’ve read more posts and watched so many videos to this issue.
It's nice to see someone do a little research before they reach out to the forum. As many will testify, vague questions with zero research are kind of a pet peeve of mine. Kudos to you on that front.

I have downloaded all the previous Inspire V1 and Pro firmware versions
Per Brian Fist (a forum member who hasn't contributed to the forum for a while), it matters *where* you get your firmware from. Apparently DJI has done the unspeakable and tampered with existing firmware versions withOUT amending the firmware version number. I can't confirm if this is true or not, but Mr. Fist knows his s***. The unfortunate reality is that I have no idea of knowing if your firmware v1.08.xx is the same v1.08.xx I have.

Remember; the two reasons for rolling back are reception issues and erroneous NFZ issues with the later versions. So an easy test is to fly before and after missions to see if your video reception gets better. The difference is profound. That would be your "canary in the cave" if you will.

Currently have 3 Inspires, all with C controllers and all marked a T601 V2. One has a X3 the other 2 have X5’s. All are running 1.11.50, RC 1.7.8 and the current iOS go version.

I was going to downgrade 1 to run the sweet spot AC 1.8.1 with RC 1.6

I’m not going to use the X5 to downgrade , I will use the X3 due to me bricking a previous X5.
Good deal. You are right on the mark. The "X5 bricking" thing didn't flush out until after I had made my video. I used the X3 cameras for all 3 roll backs. I stated no caveats regarding the X5 because I simply didn't use my X5 to roll back the firmware. Unfortunately, others who didn't have an X3 camera experienced various levels of bricking, including Brian Fist. Maddening. But, yes, DO NOT use your X5. I have tested my Inspire with 3 different X5 cameras all running various flavors of firmware and all X5's worked perfectly. So you shouldn't have to worry about your X5 not working with your rolled back drone.

My question if you don’t mind:

Can I use the current IOS App version?
I assume you're talking about using the Go App (iOS version) to roll back your RC. I can't answer that, as I have never installed the later versions. You will know pretty quickly if the options are there. DJI MAY have changed the GUI. I don't know. So the option may still be there, but in a different location. If you've seen my videos, you know how it works on older Go App versions, so all I can say is give it a shot to see if the Go App option to roll back controller firmware still exists. If not, you will have to roll back your Go App.

And FWIW, the whole iOS/Legacy App/Legacy iTunes thing is a rabbit hole in and of itself. Your bottleneck MAY be your iOS version, as some legacy apps don't work with some modern iOS versions. And legacy iTunes DEFINITELY doesn't work with new iOS versions. So it's a whole song and dance just to get your iPad to do what you want it to do.

While I have figured out how to install legacy app versions on an iPad, I have NOT figured out how to roll back the iOS. I HAVE figured out a hack to STOP Apple from updating the iOS. But once the update has happened, there isn't much that can be done to roll it back. I save copies of my iPads to files on my Windows machine. IN THEORY I should be able to roll back to saved iOS, but have never tested that.

The previous posts regarding downgrading the iOS app using Charles \ old iTunes don’t work as the Go App is now not on the App Store.
Well...unless something has changed down at Apple, all versions should still be there. It is my understanding that Apple doesn't purge ANY software from their servers. It's just that finding it and getting to it can be difficult. To make things worse, Charles Proxy isn't an exact science. YouTuber DigDat0 has some Charles Proxy tutorials that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't for me. There are other YouTubers with CP videos that may be more up to date or "user friendly."

For us to really dig into this, we would have to know what you are trying and what your results are. CP is a Windows application, so obviously you will have to use a Windows machine to us it and get legacy app versions. If you DO decide to post your CP experience, please include screen shots. I'm no CP expert and it's been YEARS since I needed to use it. But I will do my best to help where I can.

If I use the X3 to downgrade to 1.8 assume it will be the X3 version of the firmware bin.
Correct.

Will my X5 still work?
Yes.

Hope this makes sense.
It does.

Good luck!

D

Last edited:
Hello. I will join the thread because I'm just going to do exactly the same, roll back the Inspire 1 v2.0 firmware from the latest version, I have terrible range problems. I ordered the X3 camera, which will come to me soon because I don't want to damage my X5.

And now my question. Can you Donnie share a file with proven firmware 01.08.01.00 to flash I1 V2 with X3 camera? I am not sure if I do not have the firmware that has already been modified by DJI or the old original one :(
Unfortunately, I am stressed about this flashing operation, although I have already done many such operations with other drones.

And now my question. Can you Donnie share a file with proven firmware 01.08.01.00 to flash I1 V2 with X3 camera?
I can.

I am not sure if I do not have the firmware that has already been modified by DJI or the old original one :(
Unfortunately, I am stressed about this flashing operation, although I have already done many such operations with other drones.
Well...let me make you a deal. But first this; The good thing about flashing the Inspire 1 with the X3 is it is a clean install. You're not stuck with any leftover junk. You're not going to brick your drone permanently. You can always unbrick it.

The deal...

So in the interest of science, I would like you to flash your Inspire 1 using the firmware you have and report your findings. If you find that your range doesn't increase and/or you experience overly-restrictive NFZ's, then I'll be happy to share my firmware.

Rest assured...

There's no reason to stress over the rollback. Worst case scenario, it fails and you might have to start over. Yes, it's time consuming (about 30-40 minutes per try), but I think it would be of great benefit to the entire community to see if "DJI tampering with their firmware" rumors are true.

The caveat...

The same can't be said for rolling back with the X5. So do not roll back your firmware with the X5. So far I have had no problems rolling back firmware with the X3. I have rolled back 5 Inspire 1's and others have done so with the X3 with great success.

What say ye?

D

Okay, we can do that. As soon as my ordered X3 arrives, I'll do the flashing. If you think it's safe and my Inspire is safe. But I'm not sure this test will be 100% reliable. Maybe my drone has a technical problem. In Europe, without FCC, I have trouble in the city already at a distance of 300 - 350 meters, out of the city max 500 - 600 meters. With full eye contact with the quadrocopter. Therefore, I hope that the downgrade will help with this problem. I will definitely let you know here. After flashing I will go fly to the exact same place and do a test. I have had no problems with xxx so far, so I will not check it.

Okay, we can do that. As soon as my ordered X3 arrives, I'll do the flashing. If you think it's safe and my Inspire is safe. But I'm not sure this test will be 100% reliable. Maybe my drone has a technical problem. In Europe, without FCC, I have trouble in the city already at a distance of 300 - 350 meters, out of the city max 500 - 600 meters. With full eye contact with the quadrocopter. Therefore, I hope that the downgrade will help with this problem. I will definitely let you know here. After flashing I will go fly to the exact same place and do a test. I have had no problems with xxx so far, so I will not check it.
Did you see the video I made? It conclusively shows, without a doubt, a dramatic increase in range after the roll back in TWO Inspire 1's. Here it is in case you missed it:

Consistent with your findings, our video transmission started breaking up as little as 1500' out.

To keep things apples to apples, I'm in the U.S. So all our drones naturally have the "FCC Tx protocol." And I don't remember if I had installed the 32 channel hack at the time. But regardless, withOUT changing video channels and staying in "Auto" mode (for channel switching), video reception CLEARLY gets better once we roll back the firmware.

D

I already saw your video before I bought the Inspire about two months ago. I have high hopes for this downgrade because now the drone is really of little use and causes problems and danger due to signal loss. In the city, I can see the drone perfectly with my eyes, but I lose connection with it.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Donnie and all. Sorry for the delay the Inspirepilots email went into my junk folder. I downloaded all the firmware versions from either links on this site and also from DJI. FYI the version of 1.8 i have is as follows: WM610_FW_V01.08.01 zip file 33,928,288 bytes, BIN file 73,871,782 bytes 6th April 2016

The overall reason for trying a downgrade is really from the massive experience you have and the requirement for the 'sweet-spot' , in that, there appears to be lots of issues with 1.11.50 and DJI buggering about with later firmware versions. I do get poor video reception even at less than 500M LOS in clear air with no obsturctions. All noted with the X5 and 'bricking' but as we know and all the posts clearly show there can be an issue using the X5 to up\down grade, but DJI refuse to admit the fact. So it leave us with using a X3 to perform the deed.

I will see what the current ios go app does with the 'old' firmware. If it all goes belly up I can revert back \ up to the current level which seems to work, albeit with video transmission issues

Donnie and all. Sorry for the delay the Inspirepilots email went into my junk folder. I downloaded all the firmware versions from either links on this site and also from DJI. FYI the version of 1.8 i have is as follows: WM610_FW_V01.08.01 zip file 33,928,288 bytes, BIN file 73,871,782 bytes 6th April 2016

The overall reason for trying a downgrade is really from the massive experience you have and the requirement for the 'sweet-spot' , in that, there appears to be lots of issues with 1.11.50 and DJI buggering about with later firmware versions. I do get poor video reception even at less than 500M LOS in clear air with no obsturctions. All noted with the X5 and 'bricking' but as we know and all the posts clearly show there can be an issue using the X5 to up\down grade, but DJI refuse to admit the fact. So it leave us with using a X3 to perform the deed.

I will see what the current ios go app does with the 'old' firmware. If it all goes belly up I can revert back \ up to the current level which seems to work, albeit with video transmission issues
I seem to have 3 versions of the .bin file. The first is dated April 6, 2016 and is 73,871,782 bytes, which seems to jibe with your file.

The other two I have named V01.08.01.00_AC and V01.08.01.00_AC-2. The first is dated Dec 7, 2018 and is 75,497,026 bytes. The third is dated July 13, 2021 and is 73,871,782 (copy of the original?). Looks like you have the original file that I used to roll back all the firmwares on all 3 of our Inspires 1's (used in the video I made).

Interesting.

D

Reactions: Jimmy6616
When I get round to it later in the week I will post a detailed run thru, FYI i'm in the UK so dont have the luxury of the FCC power and channels

When I get round to it later in the week I will post a detailed run thru, FYI i'm in the UK so dont have the luxury of the FCC power and channels
I've heard of the "FCC hack" but obviously haven't needed to explore it here in the U.S.

What I HAVE installed is the 32-channel hack, and that is a component of the Go App, not the drone. It's a simple matter of replacing the existing Go App's .config file with a 32-channel version of that file. I highly recommend it.

1664895041314.png

But to install the hack you have to have a legacy version of the Go App installed on your iPad (I know nothing about the Android versions). I recommend v3.1.1. The 32-channel hack may work with later versions of the Go App. I don't know, as I've been using v3.1.1 since it came out years ago.

But to INSTALL the 32-channel hack on your iPad you have to acquire and install a legacy version of iTunes on your Windows computer. I recommend v12.5.4.42. Fortunately, this version of iTunes will install on both Win-7 and Win-10. Later versions of iTunes no longer allow the user access to iPad files. You know...because Apple....<:^/

1664895088382.png

In order for legacy iTunes to work with your iPad, you have to have a legacy iOS installed on your iPad. The latest working iOS version I know of is v12.3.1. This is the last version that will work with legacy iTunes. I have tested this. The very next iOS will not work with legacy iTunes.

So, yeah, it's a real commitment. I have 4 iPads of various flavors. I believe the newest one (not with me at the moment) is running a later version of iOS 12. v12.5.xx I believe. I haven't installed any DJI apps on that system on purpose. That is my mapping iPad that runs only third-party apps for mapping.

The good news is that legacy iPads are readily available on eBay. And I believe Apple allows users to download older versions of iTunes right off their website.

The BAD news is that legacy app files (like the Go App) can't be shared. They are joined to the user. So the user would have to give away his Apple credentials for someone else to use and *continue* to use their downloaded Go App, which is an .ipa file. So this takes us back to Charles Proxy to acquire the legacy .ipa file that is joined to the Apple account credentials.

Essentially, DJI shares Apple's paradigms of taking control away from the user. As both of these companies progress, it is clear that they are working further and harder towards a user dystopia where the user has less control and the company has more control. The only way to beat both Apple and DJI is to run older versions of their hardware, firmware and software. I believe both Apple and DJI peaked out about 6 years ago. Now they want to control everything. And the more they take control from the user, the worse their products become. It's an arms race that you can still win. But it requires time and diligence.

D

Last edited:
I think this question is in some way relevant. Can anyone confirm that if we restore an Ipad Mini 2 for resale or what ever your reason is, will it retain the version of IOS installed at the time you plan to reset the Ipad. This thread is discussing getting the sweet spot. An Ipad with IOS 12.5.5 is in that sweet spot. For example, I and others have Ipads with that configuration. In many cases, we are moving out of Inspire 1's and I think there is benefit to making these Ipads available for Inspire 1 pilots. Mine, for example is a Mini 2 16GB which fly's the Inspire using DJI Go extremely well. I do not want to reset this Ipad if I risk losing 12.5.5.

Before I reply in full what ipad minis are suitable for the DJI Go app. My ‘drone’ iPad mini is a 5 as the Autel explorer app needs the power as does the DJI Fly app? I only use my mini for my drones but happy to purchase an ‘old’ iPad solely for the Inspires. Happy to jailbreak the iPad if that’s the way forward. Apple (mare)

Apparently DJI has done the unspeakable and tampered with existing firmware versions withOUT amending the firmware version number.
I have tried and rolled back again this time only to test does the firmware I have is altered and it look it is. I was doing RF measurement device and there were no difference in transmission power between latest fw and v1.8.
I'm with X5R and there are less available firmwares for this camera than the X3, so in my case it could be related to that. So I'm again on the latest fw for X5R.

Reactions: Jimmy6616
I think this question is in some way relevant. Can anyone confirm that if we restore an Ipad Mini 2 for resale or what ever your reason is, will it retain the version of IOS installed at the time you plan to reset the Ipad. This thread is discussing getting the sweet spot. An Ipad with IOS 12.5.5 is in that sweet spot. For example, I and others have Ipads with that configuration. In many cases, we are moving out of Inspire 1's and I think there is benefit to making these Ipads available for Inspire 1 pilots. Mine, for example is a Mini 2 16GB which fly's the Inspire using DJI Go extremely well. I do not want to reset this Ipad if I risk losing 12.5.5.
12.5.5 is not the sweet spot. The latest version I was able to manipulate via iTunes is iOS v12.3.1. IMHO, that is the sweet spot. Any later iOS will NOT be seen by the legacy iTunes required to manipulate files. For example, with legacy iTunes and an iPad running iOS v12.3.1 or older, I can simply drag and drop the 32-channel hack .config file right into the iPad in the Windows environment. Any later than iOS v12.3.1 and you have to get into third party hacking...which may not be out of the question, but that is unchartered territory for me, as I don't run any DJI software on my latest iPad....on purpose.

To really bring this home, my latest iPad running v12.5.5 I have to use a third-party app to do ANYTHING with it. This iPad is my "mapping only" iPad. So in order to export flight logs or import .kml files from the Windows environment (drag and drop), I have to use a third-party app for that. With my other iPad running v12.3.1 it is much easier and done through iTunes.

UPDATE: As it turns out, my latest iPad is running iOS v13.x.x.x. And it has been purported here that iOS v12.5.5 DOES INDEED talk to legacy iTunes.

D

Last edited:
I have tried and rolled back again this time only to test does the firmware I have is altered and it look it is. I was doing RF measurement device and there were no difference in transmission power between latest fw and v1.8.
I'm with X5R and there are less available firmwares for this camera than the X3, so in my case it could be related to that. So I'm again on the latest fw for X5R.
First, you can't use the X5 camera (or the X5R, I assume) for firmware roll backs. I've yet to hear of anybody able to roll back their firmware using those cameras. It seems the X3 is the only camera that allows roll backs.

Second, you should post the date and size of your .bin file. Both myself and someone else posted the exact .bin file size for the "correct" .bin file.

D

First, you can't use the X5 camera (or the X5R, I assume) for firmware roll backs. I've yet to hear of anybody able to roll back their firmware using those cameras. It seems the X3 is the only camera that allows roll backs.

Second, you should post the date and size of your .bin file. Both myself and someone else posted the exact .bin file size for the "correct" .bin file.

D
First, the rollback is done on x5r many times by me and other users of this forum. If interested you can search the forum for all my posts related on that matter.

Second I'm talking about x5r firmware, no chance this to match the size of the x3 firmware.

Ive spent many hours investigating this downgrade. I believe using a very convoluted method of various apps a APNonce keys codes I can downgrade to Ios V12.3.1 and install the older Itunes, this will allow me to add the 32 channel hack. However, as DJI Go is now not on the app store I'm not too sure how to install the V3.1.1 on the 'newly' configured ipad. I think i might be barking up the wrong road to acheive this. I could just downgrade my I1 with V1.8.1 and the controller to V1.6 but if the 2022 version of the App strangles the RC\Aircraft there does not seem to be answer.

First, the rollback is done on x5r many times by me and other users of this forum. If interested you can search the forum for all my posts related on that matter.
I can't tell you how many emails I have fielded for those who failed using the X5 and X5R cameras. Half of them bricked their cameras. I'm actually extremely happy to be WRONG on this and am GLAD you seem to have found a solution. Can you please post your .bin file specifics for both your X5 and X5R cameras?

In retrospect, most failed with the X5. I haven't heard of many trying the roll back with the X5R. Did you succeed with the X5?

Please post your .bin file specifics. I have a pile of .bin files collected from all over the place (before I knew that DJI was messing with them).

Thanx.

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian