Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sweet spot firmware

every time I upload an empty file named
WM610_FW_DEBUG for the X3 camera or WM610_FC550_FW_DEBUG for the X5 camera when trying to downgrade without any extensions in the name. There are only two files in the root directory on the memory card, for example: WM610_FW_DEBUG and the firmware file renamed to: INMCAPPFw1.bin

I'll try with the original firmware file name ...
Please tell me you're not doing this on a Mac. If so, that may be the problem.

And please clarify "upload an empty file." You don't "upload" the DEBUG file. You CREATE the file in Windows and then copy it to the MicroSD card's root directory. Again, all of this is laid out clear as glass in my video.

Clearly, you are not watching the videos. Any more questions that are answered in the videos are going to be ignored.

D

I did a dwongrade !! The debug file was done correctly on a windows machine. The problem was elsewhere. Many of the tutorials I found in which they write to rename the firmware to "INMCAPPFw1.bin" are wrong. Debug file + original firmware name worked. Finally. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: niki
I did a dwongrade !!
I'm well aware.

The debug file was done correctly on a windows machine.
You said you "uploaded" the DEBUG file. You didn't mention making it or dragging it over to the MicroSD card. I'm not clairvoyant.

The problem was elsewhere. Many of the tutorials I found in which they write to rename the firmware to "INMCAPPFw1.bin" are wrong.
Yep. Don't do that. Follow the instructions in my tutorials.

Debug file + original firmware name worked. Finally. Sorry for the confusion.
For the love of all that is holy, after all of this, what ultimately worked was simply following my tutorial TO THE LETTER in my videos.

Thanx for the ride.

D

Last edited:
Some additional information, maybe they will be useful to someone.

You can successfully use the black Zenmuse X3 camera from the Osmo kit, it does not work with the Inspire, but the downgrade process was successful with it.
X3.jpg

I have a GL658C (C1) radio and I forced the 1.6.0 firmware on it, which can then be easily linked to the drone. After this operation, the signal strength and stability improved significantly compared to the latest 1.7.4
I found a lot of information that this version 1.6.0 of the firmware does not work with this GL658C radio. This appears to be not true. Drone range tests in the field tomorrow. But it already looks very good at home

firmware.jpg

And does anyone know if it is also possible to downgrade the NFZ, which probably has been left with the latest firmware?

Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie Frank
I did a dwongrade !! The debug file was done correctly on a windows machine. The problem was elsewhere. Many of the tutorials I found in which they write to rename the firmware to "INMCAPPFw1.bin" are wrong. Debug file + original firmware name worked. Finally. Sorry for the confusion.
How is the range now?

How is the range now?

At home, close to a big city, where I was losing my range at ~ 400m, now I flew to ~ 840m. But I live in Europe, I don't have the FCC here and I probably have some problem with antennas and vision. RC range was stable, my vision was a problem. Probably the antennas in the legs of the drone, a problem with the cables or with the soldering of cables to the antennas. I have to check it sometime. But I'm still very happy. Recently, while flying in the city, I was losing range after 300m

Screenshot_20221011-105537431.jpg

This is my point of asking. I know for sure that I am no expert on this whole topic, but I do have some excellent results. You are correct in that the 12.5.5 is not as flexible as earlier versions. But I have to say, that from my perspective at least, that 12.5.5 is a sweet spot because with the right attitude and patience, 12.5.5 allows for the installation of 3.1.1. DJI Go 3.1.1 runs incredibly well on my Ipad Mini 2. This is why I still think it is a sweet spot choice. And for that reason only. If someone can get their hands on a mini 2 with 12.5.5, then they are golden. If a person can find an Ipad with earlier IOS versions, even better. Charles Proxy made me scratch my head for sure, but it just required patience and a bit of luck. I agree that you are correct in that the earlier versions are better IF you require legacy installations of products that I am not aware of and do not use.
Here is what I do know:

View attachment 32989 12.5.5 Installed on Mini 2

View attachment 32990 3.1.1 and 1.8.1 Installed and ROCK Solid performance. I did not bother with 1.6 for the remote, because I never felt a need. Sitting here thinking though, the stick latency is up to 250ms sometimes and maybe 1.6 would solve that.

View attachment 32991 32 Channel Installed and ROCK Solid performance.

View attachment 32992 1230m from me and perfect signal. I love that in overcast conditions, it is so easy to see the drone.

View attachment 32993 This is where I was before starting to work on FW and app versions. I could not go 300 meters without a green screen.

OP, apologies if this post is off topic for your original question about the X3 camera, but people will read these posts and make decisions based on them in the same way that like you, I also made decisions based on Donnie's work. I am not even sure if we are disagreeing about the 12.5.5, but I think it is fair to encourage people that there is good results available with the 12.5.5. That is why I had said earlier that I think it would be good to make these available within the community.

Maybe this is worth having if you go down the Charles route. Files I highlighted the 3.1.1 number in green, (same as Donnie gave you) on the Go3 page of the excel file. There is a copy of 1.6 for your remote. It sounds like you are squared away with FW 1.8.X. I will leave a 3.1.1.ipa in there for a week. Chances are it will not work because it was downloaded with my apple ID. I had downloaded it with my personal use Apple ID and installed it on the mini. Since then, I signed out of my personal use Apple ID and signed into my business use Apple ID. The DJI Go works fine, so who knows, maybe it is worth a try installing on yours. PLEASE let us know if it works.
The file is the same as the one on you tube. It only goes to V4 with no more tabs? Ive used Donnies trick key, Charles was a bit of a faff and need another fix to allow the xml edit. It worked but it downloaded DJI Go V3.0.1 with keyid 819296121. Ive purchased another ipad 2 which has ios V12.5.6, still looking to downgrade it to 12.3.1. On this version I don't get the file transfer option to drop the 32 channel hack into Go. The itunes version im now using is 12.2.2.25

EDIT: Ive changed the charles id to the correct one in the file, 819954562 and all good, just need to sort the ios downgrade to 12.3.1 which seems more of a headache

Last edited:
The file is the same as the one on you tube. It only goes to V4 with no more tabs? Ive used Donnies trick key, Charles was a bit of a faff and need another fix to allow the xml edit. It worked but it downloaded DJI Go V3.0.1 with keyid 819296121. Ive purchased another ipad 2 which has ios V12.5.6, still looking to downgrade it to 12.3.1. On this version I don't get the file transfer option to drop the 32 channel hack into Go. The itunes version im now using is 12.2.2.25

EDIT: Ive changed the charles id to the correct one in the file, 819954562 and all good, just need to sort the ios downgrade to 12.3.1 which seems more of a headache
I wish I could help there. My "downgrade" was to buy old iPads on eBay and then lock down the iOS (a hack in and of itself). If you figure out how to roll back the iOS, please let me know. Even a clean "refresh" (or whatever Apple calls it) doesn't take the iPad back to it's original iOS. Instead, it downloads the latest iOS that will run on that hardware and installs it (if memory serves).

What I HAVE done is backup my iPads to my Windows machine. This creates some kind of pseudo image file. I haven't tested it yet. "Re-imaging" (for lack of a better term) my iPad will be something I do in an "emergency."

D

I wish I could help there. My "downgrade" was to buy old iPads on eBay and then lock down the iOS (a hack in and of itself). If you figure out how to roll back the iOS, please let me know. Even a clean "refresh" (or whatever Apple calls it) doesn't take the iPad back to it's original iOS. Instead, it downloads the latest iOS that will run on that hardware and installs it (if memory serves).

What I HAVE done is backup my iPads to my Windows machine. This creates some kind of pseudo image file. I haven't tested it yet. "Re-imaging" (for lack of a better term) my iPad will be something I do in an "emergency."

D
Thanks Donnie. I suppose the only reason to downgrade the iOS is so I can, using iTunes , copy the 32 channel config file across. Is that correct. No other reason or am I missing something, which is an easy issue at my age !

Thanks Donnie. I suppose the only reason to downgrade the iOS is so I can, using iTunes , copy the 32 channel config file across. Is that correct.
It's not the only reason, but it's in the top 5. I'm also able to drag and drop KML files into any of my mapping apps (LOATHE "importing" through a third-party server. More power to the people!). I'm also able to save multiple missions as a single .plist file, which can be dragged OUT of the iPad to my Windows box.

My entire goal of all this is for me to be in control and able to operate OFF THE GRID. I connect my iPad to the Internet for the purpose of caching maps. And that is the ONLY reason I connect. I never connect to the Internet in real-time while flying. I always make sure there is a missing chain link so that my drone essentially NEVER links to the cloud. EVER. This almost paranoid avoidance of connecting my drone to the Internet has served me extremely well. I actually figured out how to "reset" my drone should it somehow become geofenced. Despite DJI and Apple's best efforts, I own my drone and my iPad. They don't own me. I am master of my domain.

No other reason or am I missing something, which is an easy issue at my age !
I don't know how you intend to use your drone. But once you get all of this going, you will see the clear benefit to not only the ability to SEE files on your iPad, but move and copy and past and drag and drop files back and fourth. Apple decided a couple years ago that Apple users were too dumb to be allowed control over their own devices. If I sound jaded, I am. But I digress...

Good luck in your quest.

D

So I read what you are writing about apple tablets here and I wonder why are you getting so tired with these ipads and iOS? Isn't it better to switch to a normal android? Upload what you want and how, undo systems without a problem, etc ... I don't understand it. I had an iPad once in my life and that was my worst tablet experience. It felt like someone had tied my hand. I know you use an apple in the US, but it doesn't make sense. A good tablet with a good processor on Android is great for DJI applications. And in android you can do practically everything + root too, of course. You can download any app from the mirror apk backwards from outside the official store, install and it works.

So I read what you are writing about apple tablets here and I wonder why are you getting so tired with these ipads and iOS? Isn't it better to switch to a normal android?
No. I'm no Apple fan boy, obviously. But I started off working in film. And for all their flaws, the iPads are 100% reliable. The same could not be said for Android offerings, especially when I first got into this as a profession in late 2015. DJI software did not play well with Android tablets. Conversely, the iPads were rock solid. I needed that reliability on a film set. There's no room for screwups in that environment.

Look at all the Crystal Sky complaints in this forum. TONS. What is the OS? You guessed it. Android.

Upload what you want and how, undo systems without a problem, etc ... I don't understand it.
Reliability. Do a forum search. You'll find mounds of errors, bugs, crashes, etc....all Android. Every last one.

I had an iPad once in my life and that was my worst tablet experience. It felt like someone had tied my hand.
Yep. I hack mine. Just today I figured out a hack for getting a KML loaded into Google Earth on my iPad withOUT having to login to any servers or "import" from god-knows-where. I drag and drop a .kml into my iPad and then open the .kml with Google Earth. Now I can easily find all my shoot locations. Still working on map caching. Lots of LYING tutorials on the subject. "Just click here and drag this and move that...." F***ing liars. I'll figure it out.

I know you use an apple in the US, but it doesn't make sense. A good tablet with a good processor on Android is great for DJI applications. And in android you can do practically everything + root too, of course. You can download any app from the mirror apk backwards from outside the official store, install and it works.
I think I covered all this. It's all about the reliability. 4 iPads. Countless hours. I can count app crashes on one hand. Even then, it's consistently ONE app that *occasionally* crashes. Being I started in film, I absolutely had to have that reliability. Now that I'm mostly mapping, doing construction progress and traffic analysis, my jobs are still mission critical. Of all the crap I have to worry about in the field, the iPad is not one of them. Once I conquer them at home, they are mine. Best of both worlds.

D

Update for the group. PC running Win 10 Pro, downloaded Itunes V12.3.0.44 and installed DJI Go 3.0.1 ios app on ios firmware 12.5.6 Ipad Mini 2

The ios Go app was dowloaded using the Charles app method on You Tube and the Appextvrsid code 819954562

This pairing will allow the 32 channel files to be copied and seems stable even with AC1.11.01.50 and RC 1.7.8

Itunes version available here: iTunes Releases / IPSW Downloads

If your looking for all Android Go App versions have a look here for the APK's

Update for the group. PC running Win 10 Pro, downloaded Itunes V12.3.0.44 and installed DJI Go 3.0.1 ios app on ios firmware 12.5.6 Ipad Mini 2

The ios Go app was dowloaded using the Charles app method on You Tube and the Appextvrsid code 819954562

This pairing will allow the 32 channel files to be copied and seems stable even with AC1.11.01.50 and RC 1.7.8

Itunes version available here: iTunes Releases / IPSW Downloads

If your looking for all Android Go App versions have a look here for the APK's
That's interesting. I know the 32 channel hack is a huge help (at least here in the U.S. where I encounter total WiFi (microwave) saturation in many locations). But I never thought of it as a "cure" for the firmware shortcomings.

I would ask that you make sure that your range issues have been "fixed" with the 32-channel hack. Really test the bejesus out of it. Also, if I recall, you are in the UK, yes? Not having the FCC version *might* have something to do with it.

Thoughts?

D

That's interesting. I know the 32 channel hack is a huge help (at least here in the U.S. where I encounter total WiFi (microwave) saturation in many locations). But I never thought of it as a "cure" for the firmware shortcomings.

I would ask that you make sure that your range issues have been "fixed" with the 32-channel hack. Really test the bejesus out of it. Also, if I recall, you are in the UK, yes? Not having the FCC version *might* have something to do with it.

Thoughts?

D
Donnie . Yes in the uk so as you know we have the CE low power mode , I understand you can’t have the 32 channel and FCC at the same time ? I’m waiting on acquiring an X3 camera before I downgrade one of my I1’s and then do a side by side comparison with the current DJI configuration on another I1. In the UK the X3 second hand is like rocking horse shi@ to find . Jim

Donnie . Yes in the uk so as you know we have the CE low power mode , I understand you can’t have the 32 channel and FCC at the same time ?
Hmmmm....I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I believe all US drones come with FCC mode. I have to dive back into this, as it's been YEARS since I looked at the different transmissions modes.

I’m waiting on acquiring an X3 camera before I downgrade one of my I1’s and then do a side by side comparison with the current DJI configuration on another I1.
That would be a most excellent test. That is exactly what I did in my video and my conclusions were very conclusive. Without a doubt, the firmware roll back increased signal strength to both the master and slave controllers. Your research is appreciated. Make sure you document everything diligently. There are so many variables that it will be difficult to keep them all in your head.

In the UK the X3 second hand is like rocking horse shi@ to find . Jim
Argh. Bummer. Good luck.

D

Hey, I would just like to write to you that today I downloaded the old version of DJI GO 3.1.1 apk from 2016 for android. I installed it on a tablet with Android 11 then uploaded channel mode 32 and everything works. The entire operation took me 5 minutes. Without any big problems like in your iPad. Maybe if any of you do not want to fight a stupid apple, he prefers to use a simpler method and an android tablet.

apk mirror: DJI GO--For products before P4 3.1.1 (arm-v7a) APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry