Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Systemic I2 failure when DNG/Prores installed

Just to keep things straight, I haven’t any experience with the X4s.
I am under the impression that

X4s mechanical shutter (electronic above a certain speed?)

X5s electronic shutter only

X7 electronic shutter 16mm only, mechanical shutter to 1/1000 for 24mm, 35mm and 50mm thereafter electronic

Could there be a difference in processing for shutter type?

I was led to believe that electronic shutters were a problem for mapping and 3D models?

Just to keep things straight, I haven’t any experience with the X4s.
I am under the impression that

X4s mechanical shutter (electronic above a certain speed?)

X5s electronic shutter only

X7 electronic shutter 16mm only, mechanical shutter to 1/1000 for 24mm, 35mm and 50mm thereafter electronic

Could there be a difference in processing for shutter type?

I was led to believe that electronic shutters were a problem for mapping and 3D models?
Although not necessarily related to the issue, you're correct with assumption that mechanical shutter is more suitable for mapping or photogrammetry. While both type of shutters (electronic or mechanical) should deliver proper image of steady object, electronic rolling shutter may introduce image skew distortion while panning (tracking) or - in this case - moving the camera at certain speed.

To All Inspire 2 owners who have the Prores / DNG codec installed.
Every I2 with this codec installed that DJI sells and has ever sold will fail when you take hundreds of photos (say for photogrammetry).
I have been trying to get DJI to fix this since I have owned my inspire 2.
The issue is not just the green images, but more important, the camera dramatically slows its rate of taking pictures, from 1 pic every 2 seconds to 1 pic every 10-12 seconds. This makes the drone unusable for photogrammetry. The images will also be green as shown in other threads on this forum.
DJI is ignoring this issue.
We need every I2 owner to make a test and show the failure to DJI, maybe then they will fix the issue.
An I2 without the DNG/Prores codec will not fail, only with I2 with codecs installed will fail.
In order to make this issue appear, set GO4 or GSPro or DroneDeploy or equivalent software to shoot a thousand plus photos, say for photogrammetry. The camera will fail using any of the above software. When flying, the first battery set works fine and shoots about 300+ pictures. When I land and swap batteries and continue flight, the failure will occur somewhere after this time.
You will be able to identify the failure by paying attention to the rate at which the camera takes pictures. When all is good, you will get a picture every 2 seconds, and if you have the audio shutter enabled, you will hear the pic being taken. When the the failure occurs, this will slow to 10+ seconds per frame, you will hear the rate of pics has slowed. Also if you look at the ring around the white photo button on the screen, this ring will rotate for for 10+ seconds rather than about 1 second when normal.
Please reach out to me and I will give you more details.
We need every I2 owner to complain to DJI.
I have been trying to get DJI to address this since August of 2020.

A simple fix for DJI would be for them to update the Assistant 2 software to allow for activation and deactivation of the Codecs. DJI has done this remotely for me during my testing, and when the codec was deactivated, the problem was instantly fixed. I could shoot thousands of pictures without fail. I then returned my drone to them, they sent me a brand new drone with the codec installed and it failed straight away.

DJI has replaced my drone now 3 times, I send the drone back to them, they say they cannot duplicate it, they send me a brand new drone, it fails when I test it and they ask me to send it back again.
DJI is not putting the effort into this issue and needs to fix if for all of us I2 owners.

Please put pressure on DJI.

Thanks, Ray
An update. DJI has just sent me another brand new replacement drone with DNG / Prores activations installed. I tested the drone by simply having it take jpg photos while sitting on a table, no flying at all. I set GO4 to shoot a jpg picture every 2 seconds. After about 8 minutes, the image capture rate slowed dramatically, to more than 10+ seconds per frame instead of the prescribed 2 seconds per frame. Images written to the SD card at this point are green. I am sending this brand new drone back again. Maybe this time DJI will actually be able to duplicate the problem and fix it.
Or they will just send me another new replacement a week or so later, and we will repeat this whole scenario again.....

Although not necessarily related to the issue, you're correct with assumption that mechanical shutter is more suitable for mapping or photogrammetry. While both type of shutters (electronic or mechanical) should deliver proper image of steady object, electronic rolling shutter may introduce image skew distortion while panning (tracking) or - in this case - moving the camera at certain speed.
Agree with this response.
As a reminder, the X7 camera works perfect, no issues at all if DNG / Prores are not activated. The same drone with the same hardware works perfectly until the above noted activation is installed. Then the drone fails. Install the above, drone will fail within minutes.

The suggestion would be to form a user group (there is greater power in numbers), format a letter stating our needs, have all interested parties sign, present the letter to DJI along with a press release to the media.

The suggestion would be to form a user group (there is greater power in numbers), format a letter stating our needs, have all interested parties sign, present the letter to DJI along with a press release to the media.
Wow great idea, however not something I have ever done before and probably not my skill set. Would you be interested in helping with this?

First draft, accurate info needs to be input.

February 10, 2021

DJI Corp.
17302 Edwards Rd.
Cerritos, CA 90703

To Whom it May Concern;
It has come to the attention of our group that a fatal flaw exists in the software license associated with the Inspire 2.
A member of our association has done extensive testing and found that the x7 camera when used for arial mapping crashes when XXX number of photographs has been acquired. This has also been confirmed with DJI Tech Support. This problem only occurs when an additional software license is installed.
What we propose is the ability to deactivate and reactivate the licenses through a software switch.
Our members have quite a substantial investment in DJI equipment, we would like the ability to monetize our investment further.

Sincerely the undersigned,

Inspire 2 Users Group

First draft, accurate info needs to be input.

February 10, 2021

DJI Corp.
17302 Edwards Rd.
Cerritos, CA 90703

To Whom it May Concern;
It has come to the attention of our group that a fatal flaw exists in the software license associated with the Inspire 2.
A member of our association has done extensive testing and found that the x7 camera when used for arial mapping crashes when XXX number of photographs has been acquired. This has also been confirmed with DJI Tech Support. This problem only occurs when an additional software license is installed.
What we propose is the ability to deactivate and reactivate the licenses through a software switch.
Our members have quite a substantial investment in DJI equipment, we would like the ability to monetize our investment further.

Inspire 2 Users Group
Thanks, here are some mods. thoughts?

To Whom it May Concern;
It has come to the attention of our group that a fatal flaw exists in the DNG / Prores software license when activated on the Inspire 2.
A member of our association has done extensive testing and found that the x7 camera when used to take multiple still photos, acquisition rate one every 2 seconds, JPG or RAW, fails after a short period of time. The photo acquisition rate slows to 10+ seconds per photo and the image written to the SD card is bad, usually tinted in green.
This has also been confirmed with DJI Tech Support. This problem only occurs when the DNG / Prores activations are installed.

What we propose is the ability to deactivate and reactivate the licenses through a software switch to be enabled via Assistant 2.

Ok, this works for me. Now this needs to be read and agreed to by as many interested parties as possible. Possibly getting the moderator to distribute the letter?

Thanks, here are some mods. thoughts?

To Whom it May Concern;
It has come to the attention of our group that a fatal flaw exists in the DNG / Prores software license when activated on the Inspire 2.
A member of our association has done extensive testing and found that the x7 camera when used to take multiple still photos, acquisition rate one every 2 seconds, JPG or RAW, fails after a short period of time. The photo acquisition rate slows to 10+ seconds per photo and the image written to the SD card is bad, usually tinted in green.
This has also been confirmed with DJI Tech Support. This problem only occurs when the DNG / Prores activations are installed.

What we propose is the ability to deactivate and reactivate the licenses through a software switch to be enabled via Assistant 2.

Can I remind you of our community rules regarding manufacturers/vendor disputes which should be settled/conducted outside of this community.
Inspire Pilots (and other 'pilot' forums) are not associated, affiliated or connected with Da-Jiang Innovations in any way.

I would suggest an approach through DJI's official forum, Facebook page or communication direct with the company in China would be more suited since the California address you quote above is nothing more than a service centre where no firmware/software coding is undertaken.

By all means discuss the issue here but any further attempts at 'rallying the troops' to form a 'class action' style letter will simply get deleted.

This is not because this site is 'DJI Fan boys' or because we are 'On DJI's side' but simply because as a privately owned forum we cannot associate ourselves or be the instrument in a class complaint.

Thank you.

Can I remind you of our community rules regarding manufacturers/vendor disputes which should be settled/conducted outside of this community.
Inspire Pilots (and other 'pilot' forums) are not associated, affiliated or connected with Da-Jiang Innovations in any way.

I would suggest an approach through DJI's official forum, Facebook page or communication direct with the company in China would be more suited since the California address you quote above is nothing more than a service centre where no firmware/software coding is undertaken.

By all means discuss the issue here but any further attempts at 'rallying the troops' to form a 'class action' style letter will simply get deleted.

This is not because this site is 'DJI Fan boys' or because we are 'On DJI's side' but simply because as a privately owned forum we cannot associate ourselves or be the instrument in a class complaint.

Thank you.
Finding correct mailing address and the most appropriate place to publish such document will be difficult. Undoubtedly Inspire Pilots forum is not the best one, for many reasons. Facebook officially DJI supported groups and Twitter are perhaps the best to create some motion and stir around the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa