Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

The day we get groundstation problem

Reaction score
DJI has put some effort into the tandem flight team layout for the inspire, plan on it staying that way.

a good general belief is when we get way-points and poi follow me and all that jazz comes out, we will program a mission then focus 100% on flying the camera by our selves not needing a second person and we can get better shots on our own.

i foresee a problem, i think it's highly unlikely when we put in a flight pattern into the inspire, push execute and it goes off on it's marry way all by its self all of the sudden the transmitter controls are going to switch around so your controlling the gimbal with the sticks (like the person with the second remote would be) it would be great if this happened but i wouldn't count on it.

what i think our reality will be is this: even though the inspire is flying it's self around your still going be stuck using that stupid dumb *** wheel on the front and alternating between up,down and left, right like we are now. im willing to bet money on it. if DJI did what i explained in the second paragraph they would be eliminating the need for a second remote they can charge 600 dollars for... they aren't gunna program themselves out of revenue.

that dumb gimbal wheel is hard to use in multiple directions in any situation, it's to slow jerky and lacks all fluent seamless control, whether your flying the aircraft or not, i think the video results and level of difficulty is going to be the same even with autonomous features. we are not going to get this new level of freedom to try shots we wouldn't before, like the simple act of panning up and to the left at the same time or in any diagonal direction,

this simple but critical lack of control is what forces us to use a second person and is the biggest failure of the inspire, way worse then no-fly zones.

if the retard wheel was replaced standard joystick from atari back in the 1980's in the same spot on the remote we wouldn't be in such a rip for ground station for easier filming control thinking it's going to solve our problem. i'm pretty sure this will remain a headache until the inspire isn't the new thing anymore and 3rd party development kicks in.

until sdk starts doing stuff your still going to need 2 remotes, probably 1 person with 2 remotes around their neck quickly switching between them... does that sound like fun to anyone? no, it's retarded.

1 person, 1 remote that does flying and camera operation easily and the inspire will never be intentionally set up that way by dji. if it was their plan they would have already done it, they could change it but they wont.

Reactions: Moleyb
Don't forget you can touch and hold your tablet screen and move the camera that way. Seems like that would be relatively easy to do while flying waypoints (as long as that function is still enabled).

very true. it's a nice feature to have. however a actual 3rd joystick placed in a location on the transmitter where you could still keep both hands on the controls is the way to go. video games have been doing it since 1995. there isn't a good reason why DJI didn't do this in the first place other then to create a demand for a second remote.

no one can argue with me this is a bad idea or they wouldn't buy another aircraft for photography if this setup was available.

it doesn't matter how good the copter is. if the controls are clunky or un-natural people will gravitate toward what's ever easier. if someone makes retracts for the 3dr solo or phantom... whats the point of the inspire?

Once we have the API someone just needs to make a dual joystick control app for the camera. Then we can use that instead of buying a second remote. Should be a standard feature already IMO.

Would be nice if we could map the wheel on the right has side to gimbal yaw also instead of just camera settings. I also doubt we'll get joystick control for the camera during waypoint flight, but we should really be demanding this. Just make it so we can quick swap between flight control and camera control using joysticks with one of the buttons on the bottom.

I've been working on a single brace that will hold both transmitters so I can switch back and forth better. I still will have access to the main trans for flight controls and the 2nd for camera. Also will have both screens to get all the flight info

DJI has put some effort into the tandem flight team layout for the inspire, plan on it staying that way.

a good general belief is when we get way-points and poi follow me and all that jazz comes out, we will program a mission then focus 100% on flying the camera by our selves not needing a second person and we can get better shots on our own.

i foresee a problem, i think it's highly unlikely when we put in a flight pattern into the inspire, push execute and it goes off on it's marry way all by its self all of the sudden the transmitter controls are going to switch around so your controlling the gimbal with the sticks (like the person with the second remote would be) it would be great if this happened but i wouldn't count on it.

what i think our reality will be is this: even though the inspire is flying it's self around your still going be stuck using that stupid dumb *** wheel on the front and alternating between up,down and left, right like we are now. im willing to bet money on it. if DJI did what i explained in the second paragraph they would be eliminating the need for a second remote they can charge 600 dollars for... they aren't gunna program themselves out of revenue.

that dumb gimbal wheel is hard to use in multiple directions in any situation, it's to slow jerky and lacks all fluent seamless control, whether your flying the aircraft or not, i think the video results and level of difficulty is going to be the same even with autonomous features. we are not going to get this new level of freedom to try shots we wouldn't before, like the simple act of panning up and to the left at the same time or in any diagonal direction,

this simple but critical lack of control is what forces us to use a second person and is the biggest failure of the inspire, way worse then no-fly zones.

if the retard wheel was replaced standard joystick from atari back in the 1980's in the same spot on the remote we wouldn't be in such a rip for ground station for easier filming control thinking it's going to solve our problem. i'm pretty sure this will remain a headache until the inspire isn't the new thing anymore and 3rd party development kicks in.

until sdk starts doing stuff your still going to need 2 remotes, probably 1 person with 2 remotes around their neck quickly switching between them... does that sound like fun to anyone? no, it's retarded.

1 person, 1 remote that does flying and camera operation easily and the inspire will never be intentionally set up that way by dji. if it was their plan they would have already done it, they could change it but they wont.

But I bet I can grab the 2nd remote and it'll work fine. (In case the camera operator / wife would prefer to sit this one out.......)

But I bet I can grab the 2nd remote and it'll work fine. (In case the camera operator / wife would prefer to sit this one out.......)
Sure, you could do that if you have two controllers. A $900 extra controller really shouldn't be necessary for this functionality though. I'm a one man crew, and I need better options for camera control as a single operator. With the technology in the inspire 1, there's a lot that could be done.

Don't forget you can touch and hold your tablet screen and move the camera that way. Seems like that would be relatively easy to do while flying waypoints (as long as that function is still enabled).
Can you explain this further? I can control thentablet from the touch screen lf the ipad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the problem with the nvidia shield controller is you still need a 3rd arm and hand to use it

ty s. is thinking the same thing i am. a bracket that holds both remotes(or the nvidia shield controller) in such a way 1 person can use them. again, it's stupid going to such lengths but i think it's the only solution to get the full potential out of the inspire by yourself.

this time next year we will be laughing about this whole situation thinking back how stupid having 2 remotes was.

and also using your touch pad to control the gimbal if we had ground station should make life a little easier but still far more difficult then it should be if the inspire remote just came with a 3rd small stick you control with an index figure just for the gimbal.

You need to have a couple operators to do the job of a couple operators.

It's not a "technology" thing... its a "focus on what you should be doing" thing

Reactions: Gary Bateman
Can you explain this further? I can control thentablet from the touch screen lf the ipad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you are in Camera Mode (you are seeing what the camera sees and not the map) you can tap the screen and hold and a blue circle will appear around your finger. If you keep your finger on the screen and drag it, it moves the camera synonymously with you finger movements.
This can be done from Master or Slave Controller.
I hope this helps.

You need to have a couple operators to do the job of a couple operators.

It's not a "technology" thing... its a "focus on what you should be doing" thing

some people multi task better then others, if you got a buddy who's always ready to fly with you more power to ya

Reactions: Ninja
some people multi task better then others, if you got a buddy who's always ready to fly with you more power to ya
If you are flying without a 'Spotter' it is only a matter of time before a distraction will be your undoing IMHO.

I have two remotes and two Nexus 7s. The feed to the camera operator sucks and cuts out. While I DO look forward to further development of the functionality discussed above, I'm also intrigued by the Shield's capability with the Shield game pad controlling the camera.
I would be more inclined to dump using the second remote, getting a small monitor on a tripod connected by hdmi and allowing the camera operator to use that for framing the "money" shots I need for commercial work. Another advantage of this setup is that the client can view as well and does not need to interact with me (the PIC) during the flight. I've already worked through the communication with my camera operator, and we work well on manipulation of the bird to where we need to be for the money shots/video.
So, I think the second controller is now a backup, I sell/give away my second Nexus 7, and get a Shield w/ game pad and a 12" monitor to mount on tripod when needed.
I do fly 80% solo, but sometimes do need the other scenario functionality. IMHO

The cutting out video of the 2nd remote is possibly a bug. One thing to try is to use "custom" for channel on both remotes and set them yourself.

This was a suggested workaround from a DJI employee (Ed).

My theory is that the bug is that when "auto" channel section is used and the aircraft and master in triller decide on a new stronger channel to switch to, the master doesn't properly propagate that info to the 2nd controller.

Hopefully they'll fix this at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry