Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

The DOT and FAA have spoken!

You think these rules are fair?

• Yes

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Actual regulation here http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

The way I read it, we all need to take a test? It would also seem that if we take the test then there is no longer a distinction of flying a drone for commercial purpose vs flying a drone for fun, so anybody who passes the test can fly commercially? 333 Exemption is no longer needed?

Not sure it still has the section that talks about "model aircraft" which the way I read it covers hobby flyers.

The way I read it, we all need to take a test? It would also seem that if we take the test then there is no longer a distinction of flying a drone for commercial purpose vs flying a drone for fun, so anybody who passes the test can fly commercially? 333 Exemption is no longer needed?
This is NOT for hobby fliers... only another option to a 333 for COMMERCIAL use. A 333 still has more freedoms than a 107.

Reactions: slim.slamma
That is correct. I think that the rules are a little lax, but it looks like the law makers were trying harder to create jobs than consider risk. There will be an enormous influx of previously illegal operators who are now legal, but still don't know what they're doing.

Reactions: CaptainBadge
So this means I need to provide / prove to the "oh mighty FAA" that I'm a solid UAV pilot that has been flying for over ten years and understand what I'm doing to get a piece of paper stating so? This law is made for the people wanting to get in to the business.

I guess the "Certified UAV Pilots" sub forum isn't going to be quite as exclusive anymore...
I was the one who opted for a pro section.
There! Bash me if you want. I am beginning to feel like a racist.

Sorry that you feel it to be THAT exclusive. Everybody can always post questions there about starting a commercial UAV business and ask the guys who have already been there. It was never about devision into classes. A hobbyist could possibly be better at flying then a pro, but that never was the point. It was just that discussions or questions that would only touch professional use, would be answered by other pro's. And that discussions would stay on topic as much as possible.

Reactions: MacDyver
lighten-up.gif

It was a joke.

If you have a 333 you wont need the 107, though. It can be used in lieu of the 107.

If you have a 333 you wont need the 107, though. It can be used in lieu of the 107.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that a Remote Pilot Certificate would not be sufficient to fly above people on a closed set (movie business) and that to be permitted to fly above people on a movie set you would need to have a higher pilot license and that the FAA would have to review the plan on a case by case basis. Am I wrong? If so, how?

Brian

The way it was told to me is you cant have components of the 107 and the 333. You have to decide on one or the other. That being said I am not 100 percent positive but any closed movie set would require a special cert or approval not included in the 107.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG