Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

The More I Read the More I Become Confused

Reaction score
Can someone who made this trip give me some compelling arguments as to why they upgraded to the I2/Z7 or I2/X5S from let's say the I1V2/X5? I'm aware of the specification differences, but I'd like some raw emotion as to whether they were thoroughly pleased by the change; of course realize who's going to really admit it was a bummer? LOL

Can someone who made this trip give me some compelling arguments as to why they upgraded to the I2/Z7 or I2/X5S from let's say the I1V2/X5? I'm aware of the specification differences, but I'd like some raw emotion as to whether they were thoroughly pleased by the change; of course realize who's going to really admit it was a bummer? LOL
Drastic improvement of image quality in almost every aspect, perhaps noticeable by very demanding photographers/filmmakers only ... That's aside greatly improved flight characteristics and many more add-ons delivered by progress ...

I ran both the I1 and I2 for a while as I fly over water a lot and the thought of ditching the I2 was initially too unnerving. However, every time I flew the I1 it felt a bit old school and every time I reviewed the footage I wished I had flown the I2.

I sold the I1 a while ago and purchased another I2 for backup. No regrets, other than I should have made the move earlier...

Reactions: Black Sky
X5 S or X7 and why?
Jpalamaro, please don't get me wrong, but if you're asking this kind of questions you'll be much better with excellent Mavic 2 Pro drone. She will provide you with stunning, hassle-free aerial imagery for far less money. All DJI cameras of X generation are of professional or semi-professional properties, requiring step learning curve to be fully employed. These properties are explained in detail.

I already own the Phantom 4 pro v2.0 and pleased, but as a long time amateur photographer I miss/want the luxury of having a myriad of lenses at my disposal for varying work. I realize I'm never going to be shooting macro photos with a drone, but with my I1 and 45 mm lens I can approximate a decent telephoto. I'm not ecstatic with the quality of the X5, tho' don't get me wrong, it's decent and with proper PP it's fine. But, would like the safety features of the I2 which of course the I1 lacks as it's old technology, and every time I 'misjudge' a visual I have to remind myself, no beeping/screeing of the collision avoidance systems . . . I fly around a lot of large trees, over water, canals, and have to be very, very careful.
So again all, X7 or X5S?

I already own the Phantom 4 pro v2.0 and pleased, but as a long time amateur photographer I miss/want the luxury of having a myriad of lenses at my disposal for varying work. I realize I'm never going to be shooting macro photos with a drone, but with my I1 and 45 mm lens I can approximate a decent telephoto. I'm not ecstatic with the quality of the X5, tho' don't get me wrong, it's decent and with proper PP it's fine. But, would like the safety features of the I2 which of course the I1 lacks as it's old technology, and every time I 'misjudge' a visual I have to remind myself, no beeping/screeing of the collision avoidance systems . . . I fly around a lot of large trees, over water, canals, and have to be very, very careful.
So again all, X7 or X5S?
So again all, X7 or X5S?
If stills is your main things, x5s will do just fine. If you buy a ProRes and CDNG you get also very nice video. If video is your main thing and you want the absolute very best and plan to do lots of grading and shadows and highlights recovery and work for a high end productions in TV and movie industry, then x7 is your best friend.

So again all, X7 or X5S?
As an amateur landscape photographer (same here) you'll probably not benefit much from full frame sensor of X7 and expensive set of proprietary lenses. Demanding directors are adoring 35mm sensor for it's film-like quality and properties, but for RAW photographing X5S and 12/25 mm Oly lenses will deliver splendidly. For video ... again X7 will provide better colour rendition and dynamics, but you'll have to enter professional Cinema DNG territory to fully benefit from RAW footage. That's basically all, drastic improvements in flying I2 aside. I have X5 as well, but it never delivered quality imagery up to my somehow elevated expectations of experienced DSLR camera user. X5S does ... to a degree ... acceptably ... :)

Last edited:
If stills is your main things, x5s will do just fine. If you buy a ProRes and CDNG you get also very nice video. If video is your main thing and you want the absolute very best and plan to do lots of grading and shadows and highlights recovery and work for a high end productions in TV and movie industry, then x7 is your best friend.
Marian, are you mocking me? :D:D:D ... Just kidding ...

As an amateur landscape photographer (same here) you'll probably not benefit much from full frame sensor of X7 and expensive set of proprietary lenses. Demanding directors are adoring 35mm sensor for it's film-like quality and properties, but for RAW photographing X5S and 12/25 mm Oly lenses will deliver splendidly. For video ... again X7 will provide better colour rendition and dynamics, but you'll have to enter professional Cinema DNG territory to fully benefit from RAW footage. That's basically all, drastic improvements in flying I2 aside. I have X5 as well, but it never delivered quality imagery up to my somehow elevated expectations of experienced DSLR camera user. X5S does ...
Just a minor correction. X7 is not a full frame camera, it is Super 35mm with approximately APS-C size sensor with 1.5 crop factor.
The x7 has also the amazing ProRes RAW format for video.

Oh, I've just seen your reply right above mine, which basically delivered the same message, haha. So, I should rather ask if you're a mind-reader ... Distance considering, that'll be amazing LOL. That's all ...

Last edited:
I did a job photographing a car dealership with my inspire 1 x5. The owner joked that he could almost read the license plates the image quality was so good.

I thought to myself however that you should be able to read the license plates....he was happy, but I was not.

I purchased a inspire 2 with X7......just for fun...did a similar image...NOW I can read the license plates!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why I have it.

Kirk

Reactions: rblakers
As an amateur landscape photographer (same here) you'll probably not benefit much from full frame sensor of X7 and expensive set of proprietary lenses. Demanding directors are adoring 35mm sensor for it's film-like quality and properties, but for RAW photographing X5S and 12/25 mm Oly lenses will deliver splendidly. For video ... again X7 will provide better colour rendition and dynamics, but you'll have to enter professional Cinema DNG territory to fully benefit from RAW footage. That's basically all, drastic improvements in flying I2 aside. I have X5 as well, but it never delivered quality imagery up to my somehow elevated expectations of experienced DSLR camera user. X5S does ... to a degree ... acceptably ... :)
I sometimes wonder if I'm chasing what doesn't exist. Owning several high-end Nikons and Sony's with more lens than anyone really needs, I have become a tad jaded with the cameras on the drones. Your comment . . . somehow elevated expectations of experienced DSLR camera user. X5S does ... to a degree ... acceptably ... : If I had half a brain I'd abandon this idea but love the concept of 'getting the camera' in places that I cannot sans drone and impossible angles. I specialize in nothing, but like nature and wildlife, as I live on the water and waterfowl, boats, docks, all make for interesting photography. My tendency is towards the X7 not for videography but worry that all of a sudden, I once again foolishly tried to save money and end up spending more in the long run. I think the youth of today call this a 'first world problem'.

Give me Arri Alexa Mini
I sometimes wonder if I'm chasing what doesn't exist. Owning several high-end Nikons and Sony's with more lens than anyone really needs, I have become a tad jaded with the cameras on the drones. Your comment . . . somehow elevated expectations of experienced DSLR camera user. X5S does ... to a degree ... acceptably ... : If I had half a brain I'd abandon this idea but love the concept of 'getting the camera' in places that I cannot sans drone and impossible angles. I specialize in nothing, but like nature and wildlife, as I live on the water and waterfowl, boats, docks, all make for interesting photography. My tendency is towards the X7 not for videography but worry that all of a sudden, I once again foolishly tried to save money and end up spending more in the long run. I think the youth of today call this a 'first world problem'.
Or if you are serious about lofting a real camera skyward then an Arri Alexa Mini LF with a prime on the front coupled with a Freefly Alta 8 which can lift 9kg (although the new Mini LF is only around 3kg) will outperform anything DJI produce.

Give me Arri Alexa Mini

Or if you are serious about lofting a real camera skyward then an Arri Alexa Mini LF with a prime on the front coupled with a Freefly Alta 8 which can lift 9kg (although the new Mini LF is only around 3kg) will outperform anything DJI produce.
I'm just considering enrolling in the April 9th, Jacksonville, FL DJI photo academy. It's allegedly geared towards still photography, good for me, and I'd like to see what they are offering and what I could expect with even the Z7 and a decent prime(s). The Alta 8 while interesting, and perhaps doable, once again tickles my fancy but I'd likely be afraid to fly the darn thing and will sit in my garage with the restored Testarossa (lol ... just joking)

I'm just considering enrolling in the April 9th, Jacksonville, FL DJI photo academy. It's allegedly geared towards still photography, good for me, and I'd like to see what they are offering and what I could expect with even the Z7 and a decent prime(s). The Alta 8 while interesting, and perhaps doable, once again tickles my fancy but I'd likely be afraid to fly the darn thing and will sit in my garage with the restored Testarossa (lol ... just joking)
Just one more note. When x7 was released many photographers were looking at getting it for stills, myself including. I processed every DNG file I could get my hands on at that time. Used LR CC for conversion to 16 bit TIFF and finished in Photoshop. They were all DNG files taken with the 16mm lens which is equivalent to 24mm on FF, as that was the lens I was mostly interested in. The concensus of photographers was that the files lacked fine detail. The reason for it was allegedly a stronger AA filter in x7 which was optimised and fine tuned for high end video to provide the coveted cinematic look and to avoid moire in video. So, do not expect the same or even close to the same amount of fine detail you get from your FF Nikons. The x5s has weaker AA filter and when the DNG files are carefully and skillfully processed, I dare to say that you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between x7 and x5s photos when it comes to sharpness and fine detail.

Last edited:
Just one more note. When x7 was released many photographers were looking at getting it for stills, myself including. I processed every DNG file I could get my hands on at that time. Used LR CC for conversion to 16 bit TIFF and finished in Photoshop. They were all DNG files taken with the 16mm lens which is equivalent to 24mm on FF, as that was the lens I was mostly interested in. The concensus of photographers was that the files lacked fine detail. The reason for it was allegedly a stronger AA filter in x7 which was optimised and fine tuned for high end video to provide the coveted cinematic look and to avoid moire in video. So, do not expect the same or even close to the same amount of fine detail you get from your FF Nikons. The x5s has weaker AA filter and when the DNG files are carefully and skillfully processed, I dare to say that you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between x7 and x5s photos when it comes to sharpness and fine detail.
Again and again I'll say exactly the same :) ...

I fly X5S professionally for video (TV & film). Considered upgrading but decided not. I've looked very closely at X7 footage and actually prefer X5S. I think it's sharper - more detail and colors are very similar. Also I've filmed lots of raw and prores and now wouldn't bother with raw unless client requests it. Prores is excellent. The only reason to consider X7 over X5S might be Prores Raw, but haven't tried it. In fact my experience with Micro Four Thirds sensors (X5S) has led me to purchase BMPCC 4K (with Blackmagic Raw), and I LOVE this camera. Don't do many stills so can't comment there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk