Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Thoughts on the new FlyTrex

If you have radio contact, besides ease of auto publishing of telemetry data using Flytrex, there is no real need for a Flytrex 3G. The Flytrex is also particularly usefull when there is GSM coverage but no (more) radio coverage (i.e. in case of fly-aways).

Of course it would be much better if we would no longer have fly-aways and would get the possibility to download/upload the log details from the I1 via the Pilot App. With approx. 20-30 hours of IOS/Android programming, DJI could wipe out Flytrex's Business with DJI's Inspire1/Phantom3 customers. Skypixel could easily take over the on-line display of the I1/P3 logs.

It's appears a so easy/likely thing to do for DJI, that i have given up on a plan to create an app that would utilise SDK to get the logs from the bird.

At some point in timeI expect drone producers will be forced to include Beacons that continuously transmit the Drones location so that other aircrafts and legislators can keep track of where the drones are flying. Then, there would be no more use for a flytrex left. By that time, I will probably have an Inspire-13.:)

If you have radio contact, besides ease of auto publishing of telemetry data using Flytrex, there is no real need for a Flytrex 3G. The Flytrex is also particularly usefull when there is GSM coverage but no (more) radio coverage (i.e. in case of fly-aways).

Of course it would be much better if we would no longer have fly-aways and would get the possibility to download/upload the log details from the I1 via the Pilot App. With approx. 20-30 hours of IOS/Android programming, DJI could wipe out Flytrex's Business with DJI's Inspire1/Phantom3 customers. Skypixel could easily take over the on-line display of the I1/P3 logs.

It's appears a so easy/likely thing to do for DJI, that i have given up on a plan to create an app that would utilise SDK to get the logs from the bird.

At some point in timeI expect drone producers will be forced to include Beacons that continuously transmit the Drones location so that other aircrafts and legislators can keep track of where the drones are flying. Then, there would be no more use for a flytrex left. By that time, I will probably have an Inspire-13.:)

well it depends, in case of a crash and lost of power you may not know where the aircraft landed, a tracker (be the flytrex or any other) will help you find it. there are alternatives like the marco polo that uses a radio beacon.

flytrap business will never be replaced by dji alone as dji could offer same functionality for the p3 i1, and m100 but flytrex basically offers it for the bast majority or drone out there and in the case of the mavlink ones airplanes too.

Well im pretty Lucky here in Cali, My Drone Mods Locater has worked all places so far, I always activate at my location and make sure it works before I send my bird off, I haven't crashed nor had a flyaway so I cant really put it to the test ( Thanks Goodness). but my wife went and tossed it in bushes hiding it from me just so I can try to find it. It worked pretty good enough I found it and its pretty small, I pay $5.00 per month yearly, I think of it as cheap insurance, so if FLYTREX is your flavor go for it.

Last edited:
Also, in a flyaway situation as long as it has power, if it is found by someone you'll know where it is, and you'll know when it is powered up if it is missing.

Also, in a flyaway situation as long as it has power, if it is found by someone you'll know where it is, and you'll know when it is powered up if it is missing.[/
Also, in a flyaway situation as long as it has power, if it is found by someone you'll know where it is, and you'll know when it is powered up if it is missing.

That's a true statement, the Drone Mods Locator lasts up to 13 days on a full charge and dose not reply on the Inspire 1 Battery, as some batteries have been reported that their
batteries were ejected when they crashed.

I have the Drone Mods Tracker, but opted for a Flytrex too. I'll be curious to compare as well as use the options that Flytrex offers. Supposedly mine has shipped. I'll post up the instant it arrives

I have the Drone Mods Tracker, but opted for a Flytrex too. I'll be curious to compare as well as use the options that Flytrex offers. Supposedly mine has shipped. I'll post up the instant it arrives

Sweet :), May I ask why? are you using an attentive source for Battery? every crash I see on you tube the battery is always ejected, I guess its not important it will show last location, another question what service your goanna use for a data plan and how will you use it? all good questions because I was leaning towards FLYTREX 3G as well before purchasing the Drone Mods Locator

No particular reason. I may try to attach a GoPro to it and would like to link the photos to some GPS data. That way I don't have to use the Inspire camera and can actually pay attention to where I am flying. Unless the Inspire camera is used, I have no geotag.

I had the Drone Mods on my P2+, it was nice to know where it was one time when I lost it. You are right about the battery popping out. Since the Drone Mods has its own battery, it came in handy.
Not sure who I'm using for data yet

No particular reason. I may try to attach a GoPro to it and would like to link the photos to some GPS data. That way I don't have to use the Inspire camera and can actually pay attention to where I am flying. Unless the Inspire camera is used, I have no geotag.

I had the Drone Mods on my P2+, it was nice to know where it was one time when I lost it. You are right about the battery popping out. Since the Drone Mods has its own battery, it came in handy.
Not sure who I'm using for data yet

Ok all good points, I like they have a harness just for the Inspire 1 that's sweet, there GUI is awesome just the data plans were to me not to cost effective I think I pay $60.00 a year.
GEO tagging is a great idea

Flytrex updates location to Internet based servers every few seconds. Battery eject in impact is irrelevant.

Well that's good if no body picks up your bird after the Battery is ejected and walks away, for me that's not good enough, I like the idea I can still track it till the battery dies 13 hours later.

Well that's good if no body picks up your bird after the Battery is ejected and walks away, for me that's not good enough, I like the idea I can still track it till the battery dies 13 hours later.
Well as soon as they turn it back on, it will start logging again and you can drive to their house and tell them thanks for picking it up for you [emoji6]

Sure, assuming the person stealing/finding/repurposing your aircraft

- Doesn't pull off the tracker or disable it,
- Don't go out of of range (for short-range trackers),
- The battery doesn't die or the tracker wasn't damaged by the crash landing

With Flytrex I know where the bird went down, even if it's in water or out of reach of the RC. With non-GSM trackers if it's out of range of the tracker (for short-range trackers), you've lost it, or (for any kind of tracker) if it's in water you've lost your aircraft.

In terms of GSM coverage, at least in the US I'm not too worried about flying and losing the AC in a GSM wilderness. We're pretty well covered.

USCellCoverage.jpg

Reactions: offtosleep

With Flytrex I know where the bird went down, even if it's in water or out of reach of the RC. With non-GSM trackers if it's out of range of the tracker (for short-range trackers), you've lost it, or (for any kind of tracker) if it's in water you've lost your aircraft.

In terms of GSM coverage, at least in the US I'm not too worried about flying and losing the AC in a GSM wilderness. We're pretty well covered.

View attachment 2696
My thoughts exactly!

View attachment 2696

For me the big Difference is the real-time location for FLYTREX so if it did go down in water well at least you know where it went down witch is a good point, I don't think its waterproof so you couldn't call it. as for everything else as a locator DRONE MODS diffidently works if I was interested the dash-ware product what works with FLYATREX I would diffidently go that route for $60.00 a year its just cheap recovery insurance, here in where I live in Cali GMS signal is everywhere so its not a problem here that's for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips