Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tips for flying at distance

Reaction score
This weekend I tried flying off and filming (a boat) at a distance where frankly I couldn't really judge orientation, speed or relative position.

On my map, I had a view of the lake, and I'd scribbled lines to show me the direction of where the boat would be travelling back and forth (it's a waterski club). This must have only been about 200m away probably.

I flew out there and thought I was close, but to my surprise the boat was still tiny in the image, and according to my GPS I wasn't even halfway there. I didn't feel at all confident in going much further as I simply could not see what I was doing.

Does anyone have tips for how I can learn confidence flying at these kinds of distances? I had to stave off a few panics yesterday when I suddenly couldn't see the inspire at all (it was low-ish - about 10m perhaps, and against a backdrop of trees so hard to make out). Panic is a weird and dangerous experience, and can quickly make you do things that are really really stupid. I know experience is all that counts here, but am after some tips as to what to do.

Am I right in thinking there is literally no point in looking at where the inspire is to judge this kind of situation? It's time to fly with the instruments right? Obviously i have a video feed that ought to be reliable, and I have a map and position indicator which ought to be reliable? Do you guys who fly longer distances (and we're not talking even half a km here) just look at the screen? Do you trust it implicitly?

I clearly need to grow a pair, but it's hard knowing that it's just a big black hole of misery if it were to land in the water.

Reactions: Karl
This weekend I tried flying off and filming (a boat) at a distance where frankly I couldn't really judge orientation, speed or relative position.

On my map, I had a view of the lake, and I'd scribbled lines to show me the direction of where the boat would be travelling back and forth (it's a waterski club). This must have only been about 200m away probably.

I flew out there and thought I was close, but to my surprise the boat was still tiny in the image, and according to my GPS I wasn't even halfway there. I didn't feel at all confident in going much further as I simply could not see what I was doing.

Does anyone have tips for how I can learn confidence flying at these kinds of distances? I had to stave off a few panics yesterday when I suddenly couldn't see the inspire at all (it was low-ish - about 10m perhaps, and against a backdrop of trees so hard to make out). Panic is a weird and dangerous experience, and can quickly make you do things that are really really stupid. I know experience is all that counts here, but am after some tips as to what to do.

Am I right in thinking there is literally no point in looking at where the inspire is to judge this kind of situation? It's time to fly with the instruments right? Obviously i have a video feed that ought to be reliable, and I have a map and position indicator which ought to be reliable? Do you guys who fly longer distances (and we're not talking even half a km here) just look at the screen? Do you trust it implicitly?

I clearly need to grow a pair, but it's hard knowing that it's just a big black hole of misery if it were to land in the water.
Nothing like using ("illegal") cinimizer, can't see anything without them

Enjoy life and be nice

yeah i've thought about these in the past. unfortunately, I just can't see myself using them. Would be very self conscious, and my wife would probably divorce me.

am sure it's an amazing experience though. would love to just try them, but that's probably impossible.

also seems unavailable in the uk - presumably because it's illegal?
Just kidding about being illegal, here in USA, don't know about in uk. I look over them to keep los, but use them instead of monitor for seeing telemetry data and depth perception, works really well for getting close to objects, flying over trees, etc

Enjoy life and be nice

is flying FPV realistic with a monitor, or is that not achievable really? Just don't think I'll get another £500 into this hobby without some serious questions from my wife (and frankly, my own conscience).

is flying FPV realistic with a monitor, or is that not achievable really? Just don't think I'll get another £500 into this hobby without some serious questions from my wife (and frankly, my own conscience).
Perhaps for now get use to flying with a tablet and fly over land at short distances at first then attempt to fly further and further over a month or 2 and soon as you've built up enough confidence to fly longer distances, try to do the same over water. And as for goggles, I'd recommend waiting for the Avegant Glyph which will be released in September/October. Look them up :)
At least by then you'll be happy and confident to fly long-er distances and if not, at that time decide whether or not you want to buy goggles. Also by that time I'm sure you could stash enough coins to buy the Glypghs or Cinimizers.

Reactions: beatnik
thanks that's good advice. FPV is something that has always intrigued me, but I'm not (currently) prepared to don the glasses for it. Firstly, I would be sitting doing this with a bunch of people that I pretend to be cool with, and say what you like, wearing FPV goggles is not a cool statement. Secondly, I worry about shutting out the real world so dramatically (especially with big earphones on as well). I'll try and learn it with the screen - the picture is pretty good (even on my mini), and I have a hoodivision hood now which is excellent. It's probably a lot of practising in a safe place with very very few obstacles around and terra firma underneath.

Monitor or goggles, it doesn't really matter. When I'm flying my Inspire out long range (up to 3.3kms max so far) I actually prefer to use my iPad monitor because it shows me the positioning radar which helps me make sure I'm pointing the controller in the right direction. The goggles are good for closer range stuff but I get disorientated wearing them and regularly get transmission signal warnings because the Inspire has flown horizontally across the horizon and out of the ideal signal range.

Flying FPV is one of the true joys of flying these things. They are remarkably capable and 99.99% reliable. I treat my good old Phantom 2 like a ***** and fly it into the most inhospitable places by using FPV, although I'm a lot more careful with the Inspire.

I appreciate it takes time to learn to trust your rig but it should be something that you focus on doing. The guys at DJI worked pretty hard to make a machine that can do some fecking amazing things and I for one intend to find out exactly what the limits are.

I have discovered that since testing out the maximum range of my Phantom and really testing its outer performance limits, I can get far better footage now because I'm not scared to send it somewhere that I previously would have been. I've flown it out over open ocean to 4300m one way and landed it after its return trip on 0% battery remaining. Now, because I know it can do this then I'm not worried about sending it 1800m up a glacier or down a rocky valley. If you eventually learn to trust your Inspire like I trust my Phantom then you will have a far richer and more rewarding time with it.

Amazing response - thank you so much. I certainly need to learn to trust it - my last one was was DIY and I had more than a few issues.

I keep expecting this to just fall from the sky at any point. Which isn't great when it's above water!

Echo all the comments above......It's all about getting confidence to trust that screen!!!.

As an aid when I was a newbie I would hover my multi near to an object (like a garden chair for example) using los and only being say 20ft away so I could see EXCTLY how close I really was to the chair. Then I would look at the screen and get a gauge of how the lens distorts the image and makes it appear further away etc. Once you are comfortable approaching something knowing you won't hit it life becomes a lot more fun!
Also, a 94degree FOV isn't too bad for watching on the periphery as you approach things.
Like everything in this game I' m afraid it's practice and more practice.
Where in the UK are you Richard?

I'm in Surrey although film wakeboarding at a club near farnborough and also fly on the east coast of Essex quite a bit where my family are farmers.

Good tip about the fov - I will get practicing!

I'm in Surrey although film wakeboarding at a club near farnborough and also fly on the east coast of Essex quite a bit where my family are farmers.

Good tip about the fov - I will get practicing!
Ahhhh...OK....a bit far from me as I'm up in the Midlands. Was going to suggest a meet up and some FPV practice! :D

Nothing to add what has been said.Practice like The Editor says and go further with every flight with small steps.
When you're lost stop release everything even on greater distances.Take a deep breath and look at your screen,slowly point towards you and let it comeback.Make sure you have enough altitude so no obstacles.Watch your distance and and as soon your close slow down and try to locate your Inspire.

sorry to jack the thread but how do i connect goggles? i have the fatshark (standard i guess) with a futaba connector... any ideas?

This is such a good thread. Thank you for the responses.

Practice makes for a cool head - and that's what I lack. I had one panic yesterday and I rode it out so was please with that. Baby steps...

Thread starter:
Look at this video:

With stock antennas (6000 meters). I don't recommmend that you fly out that far, but at least you can see how the technology behind DJI Inspire handle in that distance under perfect conditions. ;)

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry