Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Training

Reaction score
What is the best way to learn to fly an Inspire?

A) using the internal simulator in the Inspire app.
or
B) buy a cheap multi rotor and learn to fly with it. Would this method accurately mimic the flying characteristics of the Inspire.

I'm a private pilot but I have never flown a multi rotor or for that matter any flying RC.
Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the world of quads. I started with the Phantom Visions. Now waiting on my Inspire 1to arrive. The Visions are very user friendly, which is probably a mixed blessing. With their fail safe modes, and return to home, you can turn 'em off and they come back and land.
Since I don't have the Inspire i haven't used the app, but my guess it will give you some sense of how they "feel". But if you can get some experience with a Phantom, you will be able to directly translate it to the Inspire 1. I wouldn't suggest flying another brand multi rotor. Being a pilot you already know how to stay cool... That was my biggest hurdle in the learning curve. Lol.
Enjoy it!

Reactions: Crashnot

or
B) buy a cheap multi rotor and learn to fly with it. Would this method accurately mimic the flying characteristics of the Inspire.

I'm a private pilot but I have never flown a multi rotor or for that matter any flying RC.
Thank you in advance.
I'd say to do both....I have quit a few hours on both a P1 and a P2V but still plan to fly the P1 and the sim (provided I don't have to buy an iPad.)

I think its a must to start with a trainer. .I recommend and prefer the Dromida ominus .they cost about 80.00 usd .. they are durable and inexpensive to repair if you crash hard or wear out parts ..not to mention a blast to fly...if you can afford to crash a phantom then it's ok to start with one..

Your first step you've already taken by registering and posting on this forum. Your next step, depending how much time you have, is to read the many threads on this forum and then other useful forums like RC Groups Inspire thread.

The only way you can get any practice on the Inspire simulator is to have the craft in hand, as it will not work without the controller and craft connected.
That's expensive and not necessary, if all you want to do is figure out how to control multi-rotors. Your private pilot experience will give you the necessary background for airspace rules and safety guidance.

So get a Blade Nano qx, which you can fly around the house and bounce off the walls without too much damage, or outside, if there is little to no wind, since it is so tiny. You'll figure out how difficult it is to control the craft when it's facing you, since control inputs have to be reversed.

When you've figured the nano qx out, the Inspire, or as an intermediate step, the Phantom 2 or Phantom Vision+, will be so much easier to control, since their stability with GPS is much greater. But their complexity increases as well, so your mind has to go from simple craft control to adding camera control into the mix. This is where it gets more difficult because craft control requires that practiced eye-hand coordination without having to think it out first.

The Inspire is an incredibly capable machine, but it's not for beginners, no matter what DJI marketing would have you believe. I'm a pilot who started out like you, without previous RC experience. My first MR was the Phantom 1, and I was humbled a few times. It's nothing like flying a real aircraft. I've crashed one beyond repair and sunk another one (Phantom 2) in the Everglades trying to get a little too fancy with my flying. So get something you can afford to lose first. When you feel you're ready, then move up to the inspire.

@Crashnot Just to mimic the others - Go for a mini indoor quad like the Blade Nano QX (I also love the Hubsan X4) and fly the Phantoms. Totally agree the Inspire is not a beginner quad. I've talked two people I know out of buying one as their first ever multi rotor. Welcome to the hobby!

or

Thank you in advance.

There is absolutely no substitute for 'Stick Time'... that's putting in the hours on a cheaper 'crash friendly' model as suggested in numerous posts above.
You should also learn to hover nose in (that's with the nose of the craft facing you) as those skills will stand you in good stead for when you are out in the field. As a pilot you will be used to always sitting in the cockpit looking out as first person view..... R/C, you are the observer and have to orientate in 3D space from viewing your craft from the ground. Practice nose in until you do not have to think about it but it becomes second nature. Left becomes right, right becomes left and pushing the stick away from you brings the craft towards you and pulling the stick to you makes the craft go away from you in that orientation. (I wont even go into 3D flight which the Inspire is not capable of but when you are inverted up becomes down, down becomes up and depending on whether you are facing or not left and right may be reversed... it's a real mind f:eek:ck!).
Although this is a skill mastered for R/C helicopters it is one that is well worthwhile (and imperitive IMO) for all airborne RC craft.
Remember if you have to 'think about it' while flying it has not become second nature.... like driving a car, you do not think about it you just 'do it'
Learning these skills from the outset will make you much more confident once you get a piece of gear worth a few thousand dollars in the air !!!

Last edited:
Thank you! Your responses were intelligent, insightful, and spoke with one voice " get a trainer ". I'm afraid that without this forum and your replays I would have made a mistake. Now I'm going to get a trainer first and practice practice practice.
Crash not

Reactions: DjiQuadzilla
I learned on a Blade 350 QX2...also got a Nano to bounce off of walls when I travel and bored in my hotel rooms...if you can control a Nano...you probably can fly about anything...LOL

I learned on a Blade 350 QX2...also got a Nano to bounce off of walls when I travel and bored in my hotel rooms...if you can control a Nano...you probably can fly about anything...LOL

Really? Cool, I can rip my nano and wondered if the skills would translate to big quads. Hopefully the next gen Inspire can do flips too.

Really? Cool, I can rip my nano and wondered if the skills would translate to big quads. Hopefully the next gen Inspire can do flips too.
Why would a camera video platform need to be capable of 'doing flips'?
Totally pointless - if you want a stunt quad - buy a stunt quad.

BTW......the thread is 15 months old.

Why would a camera video platform need to be capable of 'doing flips'?
Totally pointless - if you want a stunt quad - buy a stunt quad.

BTW......the thread is 15 months old.

For stunt filming. Trying to get a POV shot from a guy getting flipped off a building AND having his neck broken 360 degrees simultaneously. It's a homage to the scene from Rambo 2 when the Ruskie gets his neck broke and is blown up by a grenade at the same instant.

For stunt filming. Trying to get a POV shot from a guy getting flipped off a building AND having his neck broken 360 degrees simultaneously. It's a homage to the scene from Rambo 2 when the Ruskie gets his neck broke and is blown up by a grenade at the same instant.
Quads can't do controlled flips, tic tocs, funnels or any other 3d manuevres (unless they are collective pitch).
They can only be throttled up quickly and then cut to give an uncontrolled 'tumble' with recovery being made by applying throttle again. There would be no gimbal stabilisation and any shot would be unusable. Couple that with having a multirotor in an uncontrolled tumble near to your talent and its pretty pointless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters