Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Transport mode, update if DJI is listening

Reaction score
Not sure if DJI people find suggestions on this site, I have read that the reason you need to place the Inspire on flat ground to go into Travel mode is so the radar can see what height it is at. Can they not program the motor to run x amount of turns on the screw? If you put it in travel mode and have a button in the app they says "set travel mode" then the computer can know how many turns to get from lauch to travel mode.

This was we wouldn't have to find a flat smooth level surface, we could just hold it in the air, and also not power cycle off to take the camera off. just put in travel mode, turn off remove camera and store. Easy Peasy.

the technology is out there to set mid points on servos so it shouldn't be too hard. And travel mode is the same point every time so why does it need radar confirmation of its height.

Thoughts?

Not sure if DJI people find suggestions on this site, I have read that the reason you need to place the Inspire on flat ground to go into Travel mode is so the radar can see what height it is at. Can they not program the motor to run x amount of turns on the screw? If you put it in travel mode and have a button in the app they says "set travel mode" then the computer can know how many turns to get from lauch to travel mode.

This was we wouldn't have to find a flat smooth level surface, we could just hold it in the air, and also not power cycle off to take the camera off. just put in travel mode, turn off remove camera and store. Easy Peasy.

the technology is out there to set mid points on servos so it shouldn't be too hard. And travel mode is the same point every time so why does it need radar confirmation of its height.

Thoughts?
Over engineering of course! :)

Thoughts?

My thought? I am with you. Using the sensor to know when the ground is close seems unnecessary if it will go to the same spot every time. I try to think of a situation where you would want it to go farther down or less far and it escapes me. So whats the point of a variable option if there is no need for variation?

Reactions: diverreb
I've had a few issues with flat spaces or even sometimes with rough areas that make it a bit challenging to drop into travel mode...Not a big deal though but do agree it would be nice to be able to hold it or something like that to get it into travel mode.

NCan they not program the motor to run x amount of turns on the screw?
I would believe that if they are using the height sensor it's precisely because there is no way for it to know how much it has turned i.e it's a simple motor with no feedback other than "blocking detection" like on other retracting gears from them.

I took mine out of travel mode today while holding it in my hand about 3 feet off the ground. It wouldn't come out without the camera on so I had to put it on, power up and click exit travel mode. It worked.

I agree a timed transit of the motor would be a simpler and possible solution to using the height sensors.

I have found the best way to exit/enter Travel Mode is to place the I1 on top of my larger and flatter GPC Inspire 1 case sitting in the boot of my car. The is ideal when flying from most locations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters