Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Transporting TB50 Batteries

We've just been seeing local production companies use custom pluck foam and transform an unused pelican case into a DIY battery case. Gets the job done.

GPC will have their battery cases out for the I2 batteries just as they have them for the I1 batteries and M600. Probably something around an 8 unit case and maybe a 16 unit? (for the M600 they've got 12, 18 and 24 but obviously you're working in pairs of 6 instead of 2).

63377e9d84fcaabc762ac1a5fb1c3e44.jpg

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Reactions: Advexure
Call me cautious but I keep my batts in a lipo bag, then the bag goes into a metal ammo case. I have to keep my batteries in the apartment and I feel a little more at ease doing it this way. That's a nice setup for transporting though!

Reactions: Zap222 and SMD
Call me cautious but I keep my batts in a lipo bag, then the bag goes into a metal ammo case. I have to keep my batteries in the apartment and I feel a little more at ease doing it this way. That's a nice setup for transporting though!
I have the exact same storage setup with lipo bags and ammo cans. Living in NYC you have to be careful.

Reactions: Zap222
Yes, mine is roughly the same size, only difference is that mine has handles. It holds the three I1 batteries that I currently have. I bought the ammo can from Princess auto. It's made of steel with a rubber seal on the lid. I'm thinking with the seal, if there was ever a fire, it would be suffocated by lack of oxygen.

Last edited:
I have the exact same storage setup with lipo bags and ammo cans. Living in NYC you have to be careful.
Nice storage case just never put them in when they are warm. Lipo bag or not. These fires do not need oxygen and can not be snuffed out because a battery fire has its own oxygen. A sealed ammo case is more dangerous because the pressure can build up to create a bigger blast. Here is a video of a laptop battery going off in a big lipo bag

IMG_1955.JPG Here are the TB50 batteries in a 1400 case. This is about as small a case for 4 pairs I can imagine. There are 2x3 (cubes) foam plugs on the side of the batteries that can be removed to lay them sideways also. With the batteries in this position the top foam piece needs to be removed. There is an air space above the battery when you close the lid without the upper foam. I just keep wondering what effect the "insulating" foam will have when they start discharging. I would think the batteries would be warmer because of the foam, but not sure by how much yet.

The heat that is generated during discharging (or charging) must be allowed to dissipate so the insulation is bad from that perspective. As you guys know, if a battery is warm and gets too hot, a cell and then the entire battery can go into thermal runaway. The multiple 60Wh batteries in your insulated case might even all go into TR if one battery does. I would not recommend putting warm batteries into this insulated case. This is based on my experience forcing Li-ion batteries into TR every week testing PlaneGard for airplanes. To initiate TR I just over-heat any type of Li-ion or LiPo cell and watch out. BTW that white stuff is not smoke, but is vaporized ether-based electrolyte that is poisonous and flammable. The vapors are more toxic in a closed environment like your home or car. FYI if you use ammo boxes or other storage check this out video I just found for some eye opening comparisons. Be safe.

It's made of steel with a rubber seal on the lid. I'm thinking with the seal, if there was ever a fire, it would be suffocated by lack of oxygen.

No external oxygen source required for a lithium fire and the pressure seal just makes it more likely that the ammo case will burst open due to rapid pressure increase inside the ammo box.

Whatever lets you sleep better at night, but personally I don't regard these packs as high risk when they are undamaged. If I was going to use an ammo box I'd make sure it has a few ventilation holes to allow for pressure relief while minimizing the opportunities for any burning material to escape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chassee