Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Travel Mode issue

Reaction score
When I try to enter travel mode the I1 will cycle down to gear up mode then cycle back to flight landing gear down. I've tried different batteries, different surfaces including cement. Desk, glass table top, all to no avail. Without travel mode, it's hard to be on the go, can't pack it in its case. Any body had this issue and is there a solution besides manually cranking it into travel mode?

Reactions: breathein
Ha, I was going to post something about this. This is what I found.

First I set the Inspire 1 onto the carpeted floor, I needed it to go back into the case. BUT it failed and popped back to flight mode, or back to landing mode.

Then I thought maybe the Carpet giving false info...

So I put the visor under the ground sensor, giving it a white flat surface, and it worked, back to Travel mode...

Just thought I would share.

Laterz

Attachments

• InspireTravelMode2.jpg
    InspireTravelMode2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
  • InspireTravelMode3.jpg
    InspireTravelMode3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • InspireTravelMode4.jpg
    InspireTravelMode4.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 42
I was going to post something similar.. I unpacked my back pack for the inspire in a grass field and put into landing mode flew the three batteries and when finished.. it would not go into travel mode.. so.. had to walk back to the path way to do so.. will try the sun shield trick next time cheers

Mike

I'm having this issue. First time I could not get it into travel mode was in my apartment in the evening, carpeted. I could not enter travel mode, tried putting my hand under the vision positioning system to make a pattern below it and that didn't work. I put it on the linoleum floor in my kitchen and it worked first try. Yesterday, it was midday around noon and over cast in a field of grass and the drone would not enter travel mode, it kept raising to gear up/fly mode. Is this an issue with the vision positioning system? do I need a new one? Could this be fixed with firmware? I'm confused why travel mode doesn't mean that it raises the gears to the exact height needed for going into the box, without the option to go into gear up mode when that is clearly not what I'm trying to do, especially with no gimbal attached.

I'm having this issue. First time I could not get it into travel mode was in my apartment in the evening, carpeted. I could not enter travel mode, tried putting my hand under the vision positioning system to make a pattern below it and that didn't work. I put it on the linoleum floor in my kitchen and it worked first try. Yesterday, it was midday around noon and over cast in a field of grass and the drone would not enter travel mode, it kept raising to gear up/fly mode. Is this an issue with the vision positioning system? do I need a new one? Could this be fixed with firmware? I'm confused why travel mode doesn't mean that it raises the gears to the exact height needed for going into the box, without the option to go into gear up mode when that is clearly not what I'm trying to do, especially with no gimbal attached.

Your hand actually absorbs the sonic pulse from the Vision Positioning sensor that that won't work very well either. You have to make sure the surface is flat and level, not just patterned. If the surface isn't flat the pulses from the sonic sensor will be shot in every dirrection and won't be picked up by the positioning system.

If you continue to have an issue, your Vision Positioning Sensor may be faulty. They aren't too hard or expensive to replace.

DJI Inspire 1 Vision Positioning Module Part 39

Your hand actually absorbs the sonic pulse from the Vision Positioning sensor that that won't work very well either. You have to make sure the surface is flat and level, not just patterned. If the surface isn't flat the pulses from the sonic sensor will be shot in every dirrection and won't be picked up by the positioning system.

If you continue to have an issue, your Vision Positioning Sensor may be faulty. They aren't too hard or expensive to replace.

DJI Inspire 1 Vision Positioning Module Part 39
Thank you for your response. Do you let all four legs spread on the ground while the gears are rising? My friend said he picks up one side an inch so that the legs aren't spreading against whatever force of friction that is applied during entering travel mode.

edit: I'm assuming my Visual Positioning System is fine - my inspire is nearly brand new, but its been frustrating to not be able to enter travel mode when you are trying to leave a location with a client and you look silly with the drone acting up. Hopefully a firmware update could solve this - I don't see why when entering travel mode that the landing gear would exceed travel mode's position (and go into fly mode position). It seems easy enough that when entering travel mode that then the inspire will go into the exact shape to fit in its case.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's poor planning on DJI's part... The problem is this. There is no way for the worm gear to know exactly where it is, It knows when its fully extended, and it knows when its fully retracted (landing gear up or down) What it doesn't know is where it is in between that. (It only has end of travel sensors) Therefore it relies on the Vision Positioning System to tell it when to stop moving.

I never lift a leg off the ground when transforming, I just always make sure the surface I am on isn't too rough to cause drag.

Ive also seen a lot of people put the drone on top of their case for transformation. I've only done that once myself and am always too afraid it will slip off the case.

There's no perfect answer as to what you need to do to transform into travel mode. The only thing I can say is practice on different surfaces at home and see how it reacts, so when your in the field you can find the best area possible to set it down on.

I can't get my Inspire 1 PRO to travelmode, It's new and only updated to latast firmware. Not by the app or the switch on the RC

I can't get my Inspire 1 PRO to travelmode, It's new and only updated to latast firmware. Not by the app or the switch on the RC
I have the same issue, and my unit is under a week old. Plus the landing gear does not activate when it is landing, I have to use the toggle to activate.
I have tried all surfaces, have done the most recent updates, still no go.

Good info here.
Had this problem - not going into travel mode when sitting on the tail gate of my car, but doing it straight away when it was on the bench at home - and couldn't for the life of me work out why - based on the above comments it sounds like the carpet in the back of the car messing with the vision sensor. Will know for next time.

Same issue here. Less than a week old copter won't enter travel mode. 4 clicks doesn't do anything. Single flick up or down initiates all the way up or down. Travel mode through the app only comes up with the "remove gimbal" tip and nothing else. All latest firmware. All working in the days since I purchased, just out if the blue won't enter travel mode.

The only thing I have noticed not mentioned previously is on the first attempt on each startup the worm drive makes a very quick sound. I've noticed it also does it sometimes at power down, a very quick adjustment of some sort.

Same issue here. Less than a week old copter won't enter travel mode. 4 clicks doesn't do anything. Single flick up or down initiates all the way up or down. Travel mode through the app only comes up with the "remove gimbal" tip and nothing else. All latest firmware. All working in the days since I purchased, just out if the blue won't enter travel mode.

The only thing I have noticed not mentioned previously is on the first attempt on each startup the worm drive makes a very quick sound. I've noticed it also does it sometimes at power down, a very quick adjustment of some sort.
I have trouble shooted with DJI. My Pro is now on its way back to a supplier and a new one is on its way. Hopefully it does not occur again.

I have trouble shooted with DJI. My Pro is now on its way back to a supplier and a new one is on its way. Hopefully it does not occur again.
Turned out mine was just a faulty sonar sensor. Local dealer that I bought it from swapped it out for free as it was only a week old. All good now.

Ha, I was going to post something about this. This is what I found.

First I set the Inspire 1 onto the carpeted floor, I needed it to go back into the case. BUT it failed and popped back to flight mode, or back to landing mode.

Then I thought maybe the Carpet giving false info...

So I put the visor under the ground sensor, giving it a white flat surface, and it worked, back to Travel mode...

Just thought I would share.

Laterz
Genius!

You mean like exactly as advised in the Inspire 1 user manual on page 7 referring to travel mode?

"Place the aircraft on the smooth and reflective surface (e.g. table or tile) before switching between
the travel modes to the landing mode. Do not place the aircraft on the rough and sound-absorbing
surface (e.g. carpet) before switching between the travel modes and landing mode."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop