Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Traveling with the I2

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I am planning taking my Inspire 2 on a commercial
flight soon and I'm terrified of what could happen while it is out of sight. Has anyone used the stock DJI Inspire 2 Part 13 Carrying Case on a commercial flight? And if so, did it provide enough protection from baggage handlers? Thank you very much for any advice.

What I've read in the past, there are people who have done so and was successful. I think they will tape the case up as well.

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I am planning taking my Inspire 2 on a commercial
flight soon and I'm terrified of what could happen while it is out of sight. Has anyone used the stock DJI Inspire 2 Part 13 Carrying Case on a commercial flight? And if so, did it provide enough protection from baggage handlers? Thank you very much for any advice.
Inspire 2 international travel advice sought - cases, limitations
Need advice on whether or not taking the inspire 2 slightly apart to fit into carry on luggage
Traveling with Batteries in the Inspire 2

We used the stock case to travel back in December when I2 hard cases were in the early stages of design. We checked it inside the shipping box which was fine. I would not be comfortable checking just the case. If you do go that route, it would be highly recommended to use a luggage strap each way around the case to prevent the clam shells from popping apart when getting a "bags fly free" treatment on and off the luggage carts and falling off the belt.

You're much better off with a GPC Hard Protective Case or the like.

If we can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to reach out. Safe travels and safe flying. :cool:

We checked it inside the shipping box which was fine.

I've done that as well and all was fine.

I would never even consider trying it without the shipping box, far too easy to open the case either intentionally or accidentally...

Added advantage of doing it this way is it should just slip in under the 62" size limit that most airlines use these days and although the proper shipping cases like the GPC are much better suited to the task, you will end up paying for the oversized bag...

Reactions: Advexure
Added advantage of doing it this way is it should just slip in under the 62" size limit that most airlines use these days and although the proper shipping cases like the GPC are much better suited to the task, you will end up paying for the oversized bag...

This was one of our posts on this thread that @The Editor already linked but it's important to note for those who are not aware of media/press passes for airlines.

When we used to do a lot more traveling for productions we actually made a "media card" that we would provide to the airline at the baggage counter with our company's business card if we were sure the airline had provisions in their baggage policy for members of the media, production and press. This can definitely come in handy, and yes you do fall under media so making a card that says you're media is true information.

Here is Southwest Airlines' policy for cameras and film luggage:

southwest-baggage-png.15799

It's important to note that when taking advantage of this offering with airlines that have the above provisions in their baggage policy you are not being charged for anything oversized. For any additional number of bags in excess of the free baggage allowance you will be charged the per additional piece of luggage fee of $75.

Hope this information helps!

Reactions: The Editor
I have flown a couple times recently with mine and actually used the original case and wrapped it in a box from Fedex basically making my own Box for it. I can slide it out on one end and tape it back and so can Security if they need to.

It has worked out great like this and have fragile stickers all over it.

BUT... they will make you sign a waiver that they are not responsible for damage! That’s what has had me gritting my teeth every flight.

So far so good though and I’m the first one to baggage claim to grab it too. Haha

have

BUT... they will make you sign a waiver that they are not responsible for damage! That’s what has had me gritting my teeth every flight.

Standard T&C on most airlines excludes cover for valuable electronics when checked into the hold so you are really not much worse off even if you do have to sign a waiver.

When we used to do a lot more traveling for productions we actually made a "media card" that we would provide to the airline at the baggage counter with our company's business card if we were sure the airline had provisions in their baggage policy for members of the media, production and press. This can definitely come in handy, and yes you do fall under media so making a card that says you're media is true information.
Can you share an example of a "Media Card"? I'm thinking about creating one, but if there is a standard or typical format I want to duplicate it. I don't want someone saying "fake card", lol

I have travelled several times with the stock case with no issues at all. Most airlines have a fragile luggage procedure and will mark it if asked.

The stock case is made for shipping the i2s, so it has a pretty good impact properties. I have seen no damage to the case in my travels.

As mentioned, get a good luggage strap. Below is the one we use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FR3X5WE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Toss on a few of these for good measure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT61ZZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah