Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Trying to decide - help appreciated

Reaction score
I fully realize that asking the following questions might not seem terribly practical, from several points of view. Still, I believe that taking advantage of the tens of thousands of hours of experience and countless sums of spent money represented on this forum will produce very usable, informative, quality information. And thank you (in advance) for your valued input. With these things said…

I am about to buy either an I1 or the Phantom 3-pro. I have over 150 hours of flight time with my Vision + - no accidents – still original (dirty) blades, etc. I currently favor purchasing an I1 with dual controls (wife=photographer and excursion pal). I have joined this forum to support the making of an informed decision in this matter. I have read quite a large number of the threads already. Very interesting & informative.

The questions:
1) I would want a hard case. Best one(s) would be?
2) I would want at least 2 extra batteries – what are the best/most dependable?
3) Are there any videos that take me from receiving the I1 in a box and landing it after the first flight? (I’m coming up on 70 years of age and have reached my second childhood: I learn better [again] with pictures!)
4) Are there are consistent problems with the I1?
5) Any aftermarket items that are really worth their salt – blades, etc.?
6) Any extras that I should put in our ‘flight bag?” (I noticed that ‘travel mode’ (whatever that is); can sometimes require a flat/plain surface – and so on.)
7) Any absolute do’s?
8) Any absolute don’ts?
9) Where is the best place to buy the I1 – best after-purchase service, etc.

Once again, thank you for taking time to share your expertise and experience to provide input on any or all of the above.

I fully realize that asking the following questions might not seem terribly practical, from several points of view. Still, I believe that taking advantage of the tens of thousands of hours of experience and countless sums of spent money represented on this forum will produce very usable, informative, quality information. And thank you (in advance) for your valued input. With these things said…

I am about to buy either an I1 or the Phantom 3-pro. I have over 150 hours of flight time with my Vision + - no accidents – still original (dirty) blades, etc. I currently favor purchasing an I1 with dual controls (wife=photographer and excursion pal). I have joined this forum to support the making of an informed decision in this matter. I have read quite a large number of the threads already. Very interesting & informative.

The questions:
3) Are there any videos that take me from receiving the I1 in a box and landing it after the first flight? (I’m coming up on 70 years of age and have reached my second childhood: I learn better [again] with pictures!)
6) Any extras that I should put in our ‘flight bag?” (I noticed that ‘travel mode’ (whatever that is); can sometimes require a flat/plain surface – and so on.)
7) Any absolute do’s?
8) Any absolute don’ts?

Once again, thank you for taking time to share your expertise and experience to provide input on any or all of the above.
Hi Jack and welcome to inspirepilots.com! !
From reading your post I'd say get the inspire1..
I'll take a stab at your list..
1 there's a sticky thread about accessories ..
you can find it above the general discussion page..
2 the tb48's are a good choice. .they have a longer run time than the tb47's but are a little more expensive and only two tb48's are allowed to be carried on an airplane at a time..you are allowed several tb47's..check with your airline first to make sure ..there have been reports of a couple inspire pilots loosing their batteries to tsa agents ..
3. yes there's a few videos on you tube from dji that help with the firmware and the app ..
you shouldn't have any problems flying an I1 after 150 hours on your phantom. .
The biggest difference is the i1 has a more complicated app which when learned will make the flight operation easier and more enjoyable. .
4.I don't see any consistent problems with the i1..
The biggest thing is to get a good compass calibration and check your mod values before take off..
5. Best after market accessory is the fpvlr stage 1 antennas. .
6. Maybe a pistol or some bear replant. .
Travel mode is when the i1 compresses down to a thinner size to fit in the case for traveling. .some cases will allow you to keep it in landing mode to eliminate this process. .
7. Take time to read and understand the manuel ..
do a compass calibration when you change locations ,otherwise get a good calibration and stay with it.. ( many different opinions on when to calibrate your compass )
Check your air craft status before taking off including your mod values. .
7. Don't fly without using a screen recoding device like the shou app for ios or Mobizen for android. .I have a shield with one built in..
Don't fly without a gps tracker and or a marco polo tracking device..I have a locator 8 and a rf-v16 gps tracker. .
8. Copter shop is a top shelf operation imo ..
stay away from all e rc..
Happy flying! !
Turbo..

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainBadge
The questions:
Depends if you plan on traveling on a plane go with some of the custom cases such as GPC or Tradecraft Cases. If mostly traveling in our car the a Husky solution will save you $$$.

For Airpline travel I've read the TB47 are better to have but for everything else TB48.

Check the sticky post here and on other forums. Most of them are way better than the one on YouBoob.

Depends on who and where you read them but personally zero issues. And I have 2 of them.

Yes. I always recommend a redundant GPS tracker just in case...

Assuming you are a well matured individual, it may be more difficult for you to haul around an Inspire 1 in landing mode as opposed to travel mode.

7) Any absolute do’s?
Yes.
1) if you are planning to do this in a professional capacity then you need a backup craft. Hopefully equal in capabilities.
2) *rehash* Redundant GPS tracker
3) more batteries = more fun (women love that LOL)
4) Plan your shots ahead of time if doing this professionally
5) Promote responsible UAS flying.

8) Any absolute don’ts?
Always...can't list them all...

Inspire Pilot Classified (free shameless pitch for The Editor) then go with sponsored ad from the Inspire Pilot Forum.

You are welcome...

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hi Jack and welcome to inspirepilots.com! !
From reading your post I'd say get the inspire1..
I'll take a stab at your list..
1 there's a sticky thread about accessories ..
you can find it above the general discussion page..
2 the tb48's are a good choice. .they have a longer run time than the tb47's but are a little more expensive and only two tb48's are allowed to be carried on an airplane at a time..you are allowed several tb47's..check with your airline first to make sure ..there have been reports of a couple inspire pilots loosing their batteries to tsa agents ..
3. yes there's a few videos on you tube from dji that help with the firmware and the app ..
you shouldn't have any problems flying an I1 after 150 hours on your phantom. .
The biggest difference is the i1 has a more complicated app which when learned will make the flight operation easier and more enjoyable. .
4.I don't see any consistent problems with the i1..
The biggest thing is to get a good compass calibration and check your mod values before take off..
5. Best after market accessory is the fpvlr stage 1 antennas. .
6. Maybe a pistol or some bear replant. .
Travel mode is when the i1 compresses down to a thinner size to fit in the case for traveling. .some cases will allow you to keep it in landing mode to eliminate this process. .
7. Take time to read and understand the manuel ..
do a compass calibration when you change locations ,otherwise get a good calibration and stay with it.. ( many different opinions on when to calibrate your compass )
Check your air craft status before taking off including your mod values. .
7. Don't fly without using a screen recoding device like the shou app for ios or Mobizen for android. .I have a shield with one built in..
Don't fly without a gps tracker and or a marco polo tracking device..I have a locator 8 and a rf-v16 gps tracker. .
8. Copter shop is a top shelf operation imo ..
stay away from all e rc..
Happy flying! !
Turbo..

Thanks so much for your input! What GPS would you recommend and do you have a stock number - or other absolute identifier - for the fpvlr stage 1 antenna? Thanks again - Jack

Depends if you plan on traveling on a plane go with some of the custom cases such as GPC or Tradecraft Cases. If mostly traveling in our car the a Husky solution will save you $$$.

For Airpline travel I've read the TB47 are better to have but for everything else TB48.

Check the sticky post here and on other forums. Most of them are way better than the one on YouBoob.

Depends on who and where you read them but personally zero issues. And I have 2 of them.

Yes. I always recommend a redundant GPS tracker just in case...

Assuming you are a well matured individual, it may be more difficult for you to haul around an Inspire 1 in landing mode as opposed to travel mode.

Yes.
1) if you are planning to do this in a professional capacity then you need a backup craft. Hopefully equal in capabilities.
2) *rehash* Redundant GPS tracker
3) more batteries = more fun (women love that LOL)
4) Plan your shots ahead of time if doing this professionally
5) Promote responsible UAS flying.

Always...can't list them all...

Inspire Pilot Classified (free shameless pitch for The Editor) then go with sponsored ad from the Inspire Pilot Forum.

You are welcome...

Thanks for the thorough and informative response. Not a pro - but have decided to go with I1. Precisely which GPS tracker? Will go with better batteries. I live in a remote region of Montana - and so unsafe flight is almost difficult to achieve. I avoid stock, and the biggest crowds are at cattle roundups and brandings - irritate those cowboys and they'll shoot the thing out of the sky - and might even eat it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84