Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

TSA

ok. good to know. I don´t like to get into trouble because someone has a bad day... I also would not like to offer a place for offence into my direction :D

so precaution is the best solution in my opinion and this would be the best at the moment...
needless to say I only have one 47 and two 48 :D but will get another two next week so I will have to take this in consideration in future. hopefully I will have to travel but then I will be with a crew where I can split up the batteries and therefore have less stress with TSA or anyone else.

thank you for the chat and idea change.

I would try to have a copy of the rules tucked away somewhere. I wouldn't show it unless a problem arises as not to create a problem, but having it is a good option to show TSA. I am sure they have them but may not be as ready to pull them out and prove it. If you know what you are talking about and have proof of and follow the rules you are more likely to get through.

A lot of these TSA screeners are simply not educated as to what is allowed and what is not. Help them do their job correctly by providing printed materials from the TSA website and the airline's website, but don't belittle or berate them. I have seen screeners use the threat of, "I will make you miss your flight if you keep this up"; and they will do it if you push them.

When I fly on SWA from Houston to Panama City in August; I will have this printed and easily accessable: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

SWA does not have any specific restrictions on LiPo's (https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html) and refer passengers to the PHMSA site for restrictions (http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel).

I will have my wife carry 2 of my TB48's, I will carry 2 TB48's and I will have one TB47 in the I1 (turned-off). Since I have the AerialMediaPros Pelican I1 case, I will check that and have TSA approved locks on it.

I plan on being well-informed and polite; but will not allow any of my approved property to be confiscated from me.

A smile and good attitude can go a long way with these folks.

Do your research before you travel with over $5,000 in equipment that draws a lot of attention.

Reactions: Arsh
A lot of these TSA screeners are simply not educated as to what is allowed and what is not. Help them do their job correctly by providing printed materials from the TSA website and the airline's website, but don't belittle or berate them. I have seen screeners use the threat of, "I will make you miss your flight if you keep this up"; and they will do it if you push them.

When I fly on SWA from Houston to Panama City in August; I will have this printed and easily accessable: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

SWA does not have any specific restrictions on LiPo's (https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html) and refer passengers to the PHMSA site for restrictions (http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel).

I will have my wife carry 2 of my TB48's, I will carry 2 TB48's and I will have one TB47 in the I1 (turned-off). Since I have the AerialMediaPros Pelican I1 case, I will check that and have TSA approved locks on it.

I plan on being well-informed and polite; but will not allow any of my approved property to be confiscated from me.

A smile and good attitude can go a long way with these folks.

Do your research before you travel with over $5,000 in equipment that draws a lot of attention.

TSA is just a part of the equation, the airline also has the power to say no.

TSA is just a part of the equation, the airline also has the power to say no.

Yes, which is why I did my research on the airline (URL link in the post) and confirmed that their regulations are the same as the FAA's.

Do your homework and you will probably not have any issues unless you get a TSA screener with a real burr in their saddle.

Reactions: Joola
Yes, which is why I did my research on the airline (URL link in the post) and confirmed that their regulations are the same as the FAA's.

Do your homework and you will probably not have any issues unless you get a TSA screener with a real burr in their saddle.
i already did all my homework, what are you talking about?

i will need to have a large crew flying with me :)
having 6pcs of the tb48... 2 pcs each and off we gooooooo lol...
hope all will go well once i do have to travel... xor aded safty i will consider workarounds with express shipping ahead and checking with airline beforehand...
m

i already did all my homework, what are you talking about?
Luis, you are misunderstanding me.

I addressed that the TSA is not the only obstacle to clear in my post, then you commented on my post stating that TSA "is just part of the equation". Yes, I had addressed that and even included links in my post.

The "you" in "do your homework" is not directed at you specifically Luis, the pronoun refers to anyone looking to fly.

Reactions: Joola
i will need to have a large crew flying with me :)
having 6pcs of the tb48... 2 pcs each and off we gooooooo lol...
hope all will go well once i do have to travel... xor aded safty i will consider workarounds with express shipping ahead and checking with airline beforehand...
m

You probably cannot express ship your TB48 either, for the same reason. Ground only.

You probably cannot express ship your TB48 either, for the same reason. Ground only.
so when i would have a gig in las palmas i would have to find a shop and buy there? or go with the 2 pcs per person on board... starting to get confused... :)

i am cuorious now... why are batteries lets say the 5700mha we use so "dangerous" the 100wh ones would do similiar harm once exploding or catching fire... kind of makes no sense to me... like when you get steel knife and fork on board but are not allowed to get your nail scisors on board... ridiculus...
or the 100ml policy in seperate bags... bs in my opinion...

i am cuorious now... why are batteries lets say the 5700mha we use so "dangerous" the 100wh ones would do similiar harm once exploding or catching fire... kind of makes no sense to me... like when you get steel knife and fork on board but are not allowed to get your nail scisors on board... ridiculus...
or the 100ml policy in seperate bags... bs in my opinion...

i think its related to the energy release in case of a fire and the time the reaction will take.

also videos around the internet of pierced batteries show different cell/size will have very different "explosions" i don't think they came with that number out of their asses.

i think its related to the energy release in case of a fire and the time the reaction will take.

also videos around the internet of pierced batteries show different cell/size will have very different "explosions" i don't think they came with that number out of their asses.
maybe but still since 9/11 the regulations make me feel like sheep or prisoners and one could still do something if one really wants to... so the 5x100ml in extra bags instead of one 500ml coke on checkin is just plain stupid... i had to ditch my deozorant (which was almost empty) but the kind lady said that is says 150ml on the bottle... (remark: i travelled to the states with no issues... when going back home to europe they took it out.... i would rather like to see real safety regulations that make sense and not make me feel like sheep and an idiot going through safety having to take off everything which is obviously NO threat like my flat sneakers or my belt which i did not have to take off before 9/11 just show the agent and he'll let me pass...
the lipo thing has its reasons sure but having 4 tb47 go up or 2 tb48 i would really like to know what or how different they react...
i am plain curious not trying to offend anyone. trying to think logically...

Last edited:
i see... when i traveled back then i always had my backpack and a liter of drink with me... good old days..

Reactions: Phatzo

Houston be careful and have a back up plan. I see your not flying United. United in Houston is a problem. But what didn't work for me might work for you

I recently flew from LAX to Cleveland i have 3 tb48s and 3tb47s,i shipped 1 48, but when i passed through tsa they were clueless to what they were, i had 2 large lipo bags labeled lipo batteries informed the tsa agent at detector and they didnt say anything....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters