Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

twitchy video when using POI

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried out the POI feature for the first time filming an LA fitness for a commercial. I tried to use the poi to orbit the building. I had it set at about 14mph and I let it fly itself, no controller input.
when reviewing the footage I notice that it is very twitchy, what would be the cause of this?
all the other flying video looked fine, only noticed the twitch when I used poi.

Yesterday I tried out the POI feature for the first time filming an LA fitness for a commercial. I tried to use the poi to orbit the building. I had it set at about 14mph and I let it fly itself, no controller input.
when reviewing the footage I notice that it is very twitchy, what would be the cause of this?
all the other flying video looked fine, only noticed the twitch when I used poi.

It is to do with whats known as 'dead zone' within the follow mode. There is a non linear area (usually around +/- 5 degrees from center) that effectively 'floats' and has soft start and soft stop at the end and beginning of the dead zone. There is a small acceleration algorithm that acts within that dead zone but once the 'end stop' is reached the gimbal moves with the rotational movement of the aircraft. Whilst in POI mode the aircraft has to yaw to bring the gimbal back into the floating area of dead zone again.
Basically, the POI mode is pants and doesn't work at all well - much better results can be achieved with practice and manually flying around a point.

hmm that kinda sucks. I've seen a few poi videos and never noticed that. is it only in certain conditions?

I noticed you had the nose not pointed to the center of the POI. I tried POI yesterday a couple of times and noticed the result was better when pointed exactly at the center. So, as soon as you recorded the POI, you have to back up straight without changing the nose direction.
At least that worked for me.

Reactions: chriz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc