Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Two crashes in two days - Bird still flying perfectly

Reaction score
Website
www.bethere.tv
My Inspire 1 is inspiring me.

Both of the crashes were TOTALLY due to my poor piloting. I have less than three hours flying time under my belt and it showed in spades.

Crash #1: Got cocky and brought her in for a landing way to fast and belly flopped it into the grass and then it flipped over in the driveway, knocking off the gimbal and camera from the rubber grommets. Reattached the gimbal plate to the bird, checked all systems, and she flew/recorded again no issues at all.

Crash #2: The very next day I was flying slowly between some trees at the edge of a lake when a sudden gust of wind pushed her sideways towards a small tree brach. I overcorrected (panicked) and she caught another branch with a propeller, stalled, and dropped straight down from about 10 feet into the lake into about two feet of water. Luckily, I was 30 feet away and managed to get her out of the water in about 5 seconds or so. Again, gimbal and camera had been pulled off rubber mounts but no other apparent damage. Ejected the SD card immediately (as i had some great footage already in the can) and took the bird back to my car, took out battery, removed gimbal and camera, and tried to dry everything off as best I could. Waited until she was dry and a few hours later took her out, sans camera and gimbal, for a test and she flew perfectly and everything looked solid in the app. Reattached gimbal and camera (which i was certain was toast) and took her out for a test.

Everything was perfect!! Camera and gimbal worked fine. And all the footage on the SD card was intact.

I am really impressed with the build quality on this bird and as we naturally hear so many negative reports in these forums, I wanted to share this story.

Epilogue: As the flying gods have given me a reprieve twice in two days, I have sworn to fly MUCH more carefully and to practice, practice, practice. Until one's RC skills become second nature and you can fly ATTI Mode like the back of your hand, you are tempting fate at every turn.

Nice job designing this incredible bird, DJI. I hope that one day my piloting skills will do her justice.

I would need to see the video of it going into the water to believe this. Please post and make me wrong. I still remember all the abuse my F550 took and kept on runing. I thought it was delicate but I now realize it was like a Timex watch, took a licking and kept on ticking.

Reactions: Steve is Inspired!
I would need to see the video of it going into the water to believe this. Please post and make me wrong. I still remember all the abuse my F550 took and kept on runing. I thought it was delicate but I now realize it was like a Timex watch, took a licking and kept on ticking.
Mine spent 3 hours in about 3 meters of fresh water and flew again after 2 weeks drying her our. Camera works, gimbal and battery are toast. She's on her way back to China for repair/replace cause I won't trust her completely after the swim in the lake. Still, I was amazed that she actually flew (hovered for 36 mins at low altitude). They are amazing things :D

Reactions: Misha
Camera was off. Why would I make this up? It is embarrassing.

Hello people!! I´m sorry to ask about something that has nothing to do with this thread, but either I'm too stupid or this web has some serious issues. I just can't figure out how to post a new thread!!! ****… So frustrating. Anyways, could anyone please help?? Just FYI, the thread i want to post is about my iPhone 6 battery draining pretty darn fast when flying the i1 with the master controller. I hope someone can help… Greetings from Mexico City, and happy flying folks!

Hello people!! I´m sorry to ask about something that has nothing to do with this thread, but either I'm too stupid or this web has some serious issues. I just can't figure out how to post a new thread!!! ****… So frustrating. Anyways, could anyone please help?? Just FYI, the thread i want to post is about my iPhone 6 battery draining pretty darn fast when flying the i1 with the master controller. I hope someone can help… Greetings from Mexico City, and happy flying folks!

Go to the "home page" where you can see all the forums, click on a specific forum and then, at the top right corner you should see a blue button (underneath the little magnifying glass search icon) that says Post New Thread. You cannot see that once you are actually reading a thread.

Andy

Reactions: chorepunk
Comforting to hear if my inspire decides to turn into a submarine!!

Gives me real confidence....

I told would like to see the film/flight logs etc just to make certain this isn't a really early April fool.

Not doubting you for one moment but as Scotty on the USS Enterprise says "Captain yee canna fight the laws e physics!"

Reactions: Misha
Go to the "home page" where you can see all the forums, click on a specific forum and then, at the top right corner you should see a blue button (underneath the little magnifying glass search icon) that says Post New Thread. You cannot see that once you are actually reading a thread.

Andy
Now everything is clear! Thank you so much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth