Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Uk Footage for Aussie TV....

Reaction score
Guys,

Got Aussie TV (long story!!) wanting me to either use some of my footage for their TV network.

Anything that may affect broadcast on Aussie networks I need to think about?

Pretty much going to supply them footage set up that has benn on UK with no problems (4K for them to render down or keep in 4K as they see fit)

Also going rate for Aussie TV. Copyright etc. Anything else to keep in mind?

Generally get good advice on here looking for any top tips

thanks in advance

Guys,

Got Aussie TV (long story!!) wanting me to either use some of my footage for their TV network.

Pretty much going to supply them footage set up that has benn on UK with no problems (4K for them to render down or keep in 4K as they see fit)

thanks in advance
In Australia, we shoot PAL. If its just footage you can render it out in Pro res 1080p and they can do what they like with it here. If its 4k, then they will have to render down so whatever they want I guess. I shoot all my own footage so no idea as to fees you can charge etc.
I have just finished 16 tv commercials that are on UK tv right now and all i did was send them the pro res 1080p like I would if in Australia. Hope that helps.

Anyone know the going rate for say 1min of footage for Aussie public broadcaster?

OK, I think I should correct @DennisR here.
Nothing is shot in PAL or NTSC (or SECAM for that matter), it is not an acquisition format and never has been.
PAL or NTSC etc refers to how the TV station transmits the TV signal with PAL having a video bandwidth of 5Mhz, a vertical frequency of 50Hz (linked to mains line frequency) and a field rate (not framerate) of 50.
This was true in the days of analogue TV but with HD and digital transmissions this is all but dead.

Your best course of action would be to ask the TV station how they would like delivery of the footage.
Broadcast TV is subject to strict limits in respect of black level and white level so it's possible they will ask for broadcast safe footage (Y=16-235 and U/V 16-240 or REC709) or they maybe happy with giving the footage to their in house editor to apply grading and LUTs as required.
There isn't really any such thing as 'unsafe colours' in the digital world anymore although anything whiter than white up above 250 region can cause problems with aliasing.

Personally, I would speak to the station and ask what is acceptable to them.

Nothing is shot in PAL or NTSC (or SECAM for that matter), it is not an acquisition format and never has been.
PAL or NTSC etc refers to how the TV station transmits the TV signal with PAL having a video bandwidth of 5Mhz, a vertical frequency of 50Hz (linked to mains line frequency) and a field rate (not framerate) of 50.
This was true in the days of analogue TV but with HD and digital transmissions this is all but dead.

Your best course of action would be to ask the TV station how they would like delivery of the footage.
Broadcast TV is subject to strict limits in respect of black level and white level so it's possible they will ask for broadcast safe footage (Y=16-235 and U/V 16-240 or REC709) or they maybe happy with giving the footage to their in house editor to apply grading and LUTs as required.
There isn't really any such thing as 'unsafe colours' in the digital world anymore although anything whiter than white up above 250 region can cause problems with aliasing.

After 19 years as a tv producer and having produced and edited over 2100 tv commercials, I would wonder why we select PAL on our cameras? it seems you know all. I was just trying to help the chap. As I have said many times. You just pick on me. Its unbelievable. In Australia we select 25fps. Anything else has to be converted. I sent a TV commercial to the US 2 weeks ago and had to convert to 30fps. I doubt any editor will ask for broadcast safe footage. If they can edit, they will know this must be done and they will be the ones to do it.

Anyone know the going rate for say 1min of footage for Aussie public broadcaster?
Guys,

thanks in advance
I agree with everything you have said DennisR. Any TV Station will have post production facilities to take the source video and convert it. i.e.up, down, cross and standards conversions between virtually all SD, HD and Ultra HD formats and frame rates, including 3:2 cadence removal. So there should be no issue there. However when it come to copyrights matters you should seek independent legal advice, which should cover your interests. If you sell your footage to the TV Station and they have exclusive rights, it may well be the copyright is transfer to them also. You need to discuss the specifics of it with them. If on the other hand you have specifically granted them the use of your source video, but wish to place conditions of use and copyright you will need to to enter into a legally binding contract with everything clearly spelt out.
After 19 years as a tv producer and having produced and edited over 2100 tv commercials, I would wonder why we select PAL on our cameras? it seems you know all. I was just trying to help the chap. As I have said many times. You just pick on me. Its unbelievable. In Australia we select 25fps. Anything else has to be converted. I sent a TV commercial to the US 2 weeks ago and had to convert to 30fps. I doubt any editor will ask for broadcast safe footage. If they can edit, they will know this must be done and they will be the ones to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide