Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Updated OK but got critical battery message at 60% on first flight

Reaction score
Went for first flight after successful update of two remotes and 3 batteries. Got a shock when I got the message 'Lowering landing gear and critical battery' when the battery was reading 60%.

Managed to get it back ok so I turned the bird off and then on again , the message or warning never reappeared. So I don't know what that was all about.

Interestingly, I decided to run the battery right down to zero so I hovered the bird in front of me only a couple of inches high to see how long the motors would keep turning at 0%. Just under 5 mins flying at 0% battery !

Did you look at the battery status page to see if something was wrong?

Went for first flight after successful update of two remotes and 3 batteries. Got a shock when I got the message 'Lowering landing gear and critical battery' when the battery was reading 60%.

Managed to get it back ok so I turned the bird off and then on again , the message or warning never reappeared. So I don't know what that was all about.

Interestingly, I decided to run the battery right down to zero so I hovered the bird in front of me only a couple of inches high to see how long the motors would keep turning at 0%. Just under 5 mins flying at 0% battery !

I had the same, mine was at around 55% though. It dropped on second attempt to 7%. However after a full charge i had a perfect 16 minute flight 2 hours later. One thing, my battery was not fully charged the first time, was yours? I started at about 70% in my back garden just to check the firmware etc...

Did you look at the battery status page to see if something was wrong?

Yes there was nothing showing at fault on the battery status.

I had the same, mine was at around 55% though. It dropped on second attempt to 7%. However after a full charge i had a perfect 16 minute flight 2 hours later. One thing, my battery was not fully charged the first time, was yours? I started at about 70% in my back garden just to check the firmware etc...

The battery was about 93% , so maybe that was the problem.

Yes there was nothing showing at fault on the battery status.
I mean when that happens you want to check the cell voltages, preferably still in flight, and see if anything looks wrong, or if the data occasionally disappears etc... I don't believe the history helps much in these cases.

Only time I ever saw this was like you said, got to antsy and didn't fully charge a battery. I believe that battery also has to balance itself and if you pull it early you disrupt that. This could leave a cell at a lower voltage which will freak out your inspire. Fully charge until the lights go out and there are less likely to be issues.

If your battery had gone into self-discharge, it's possible that there was an issue with the battery % value showing in the app not accurately reflecting the actual charge state of your battery. It's been reported on RCGroups Inspire thread that the issue may be due to flying with a battery that has not been charged fully to 100% prior to flying and the battery showing a false % in the app when powering up due to the self-discharge having initiated and this fact not being recognized by the app.

Flyer beware: Always charge your battery(ies) fully to 100% prior to flying. That means until the battery lights turn off to show fully charged (If they show more than 95%, you must turn on the battery to charge to 100%).

It has been reported to DJI engineering. Don't know if there is a fix in the works, but it's prudent to be aware of this issue. This does not mean that one cannot make multiple flights on a single battery once fully charged. The issue is only when starting with a less than fully charged battery (one that possibly has gone into self-discharge).

If your battery had gone into self-discharge, it's possible that there was an issue with the battery % value showing in the app not accurately reflecting the actual charge state of your battery. It's been reported on RCGroups Inspire thread that the issue may be due to flying with a battery that has not been charged fully to 100% prior to flying and the battery showing a false % in the app when powering up due to the self-discharge having initiated and this fact not being recognized by the app.

Flyer beware: Always charge your battery(ies) fully to 100% prior to flying. That means until the battery lights turn off to show fully charged (If they show more than 95%, you must turn on the battery to charge to 100%).

It has been reported to DJI engineering. Don't know if there is a fix in the works, but it's prudent to be aware of this issue. This does not mean that one cannot make multiple flights on a single battery once fully charged. The issue is only when starting with a less than fully charged battery (one that possibly has gone into self-discharge).

Agreed, i've never partially charged a battery before flight, it's always when i fancy a quick fly locally and it has initiated the self discharge - so could end up going out with 70-80% battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop