Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Updates after being mothballed for 2 years

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am running an Inspire Version 1 with an X3 camera although I had relatively little experience with this drone (some good, some bad!) before I was forced to mothball it whilst I was working away for about 2 years.
I have now come to revive it and I was amazed that the batteries still charged and, apart from the updates, I am good to go.
This is where my question starts, I have the following softwares loaded:

App - Version 3
Aircraft - Version 1.9.1.30
Remote - Version 1.6.0
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

As I recall, I had no issues last time I used it and, as I say, I have been out of the community for the last few years but have heard snippits of info regarding speed restrictions, and distance restrictions.
Obviously I want to get the best out of the drone but don't want to impose limitations on myself by updating to the wrong version, given where I am at the moment.
I live on a five acre farm so all my flying is done over my land so distance is not an issue for me, so in an ideal world I don't want to be limited.
Obviously the controller is saying updates are required for all but should I update and if so which version up to? Are certain updates mandatory?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,
I am running an Inspire Version 1 with an X3 camera although I had relatively little experience with this drone (some good, some bad!) before I was forced to mothball it whilst I was working away for about 2 years.
I have now come to revive it and I was amazed that the batteries still charged and, apart from the updates, I am good to go.

App - Version 3
Remote - Version 1.6.0
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

As I recall, I had no issues last time I used it and, as I say, I have been out of the community for the last few years but have heard snippits of info regarding speed restrictions, and distance restrictions.
Obviously I want to get the best out of the drone but don't want to impose limitations on myself by updating to the wrong version, given where I am at the moment.
I live on a five acre farm so all my flying is done over my land so distance is not an issue for me, so in an ideal world I don't want to be limited.
Obviously the controller is saying updates are required for all but should I update and if so which version up to? Are certain updates mandatory?
Many thanks in advance.
If you are happy with it - I would leave well alone.
No updates are mandatory

I would be worried about the battery. Consider getting new ones or at least hover low so if the cells fail it’s a small stop. Also batteries can appear to be fine but under load will fail to supply power.

I personally would not fly with a two year old battery. That’s been sitting without being managed anyways.

Thanks for your replies guys. I am of course sceptical of the batteries and will obviously keep a very close eye on them. But as regards the updates, as far as I can recall I wasn't having any major problems 2 years ago, maybe the occasional transmission problem but I would like to update the software as much as possible to take advantage of any improvements but not so far as to impose any flight limits on myself.
Many thanks in advance.

I am on the latest firmware update and have not experienced any problems at all. As far as your batteries go I would recycle them. I would just hover it until you get down to 3% landed recharge batteries too 100%.

Reactions: g36pilot
Hi ,
Thanks for that. I've heard that the latest updates limit height and distance is that not the case?

I have never experienced that. I have actually had mine out 2 miles and 1000 feet up. That is something I don’t make a habit of though. That was just an experiment in an open field Fareway from airports.

Hi Guys,

App - Version 3
Remote - Version 1.6.0
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

Any advice would be greatly f I were you I would do no updates and I would not allow the device attached to the controller access to the internet
Hi Guys,

App - Version 3
Remote - Version 1.6.0
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

Many thanks in advance.

If I were you, I would do no updates and I would not let whatever device you use access to the internet.

I would take the advice of the Editor. If everything is working then leave it as they are. I have two inspire 1s that were running old software. I ended up updating all firmware on both of them because I thought it was the right thing to do. Now I have more video lag on both machines so on that point they were better with the old firmware. Just my experience.

concur with the above post. my inspire was inspiring until I was forced to update the firmware. now it's a $2k drone with the performance of a $200 drone. yea me.

I can only believe dji detuned their inspires to frustrate owners into buying newer products. Chinese are very unscrupulous.

Reactions: Rick_L
Hi Guys,

App - Version 3
Remote - Version 1.6.0
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

Many thanks in advance.

With great experience and confidence, I can recommend the following:

App: v3.1.1
App database: v00.00.01.04
Aircraft: v1.8.1.00
Remote: v1.6
Camera: v1.8.1

That said, I see you're running AC v1.9.1.30, which SHOULD work just fine. v1.9.xx simply expanded the NFZ's. If No Fly Zones aren't an issue with you, then I would stick with that version. My strong advice: I WOULD NOT UPDATE ANYTHING.

Here...I made a video....

Reactions: Positive Image
Hi Donnie,
Thats great! Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. So I take it that the height and distance restrictions/problems have heard about relate to later software versions?
You say you have had the best results with version1.8 and I am on 1.9 would you downgrade or are the 1.9 results just the same?
Given that the Aircraft is possibly working at its best, should I be worrying about the app version. I am on version 3.0.0, should I try to upgrade to 3.1.1 as yourself or even the latest version?
Any thoughts on the batteries given that they have been out of action for so long?
Many thanks in advance.

I'm also running iOS 10.3.3 on my iPad 2, should I update to IOS 11 or is that just introducing another variable?

Hi Donnie,
Thats great! Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. So I take it that the height and distance restrictions/problems have heard about relate to later software versions?

Forgive my answer. I don't know your skill level, so I'm going to assume novice.

Both height and distance limitations are selectable OPTIONS in the Go app. Max height is 500m (about 1500'), but can be adjusted down. Occasionally I find that the apps "adjust themselves" down to lower height limitations. I attribute this to the fact that I use several software apps on several birds over several iPads. I'm sure the settings get "confused." So I always recheck everything the night before I do a shoot.

Regarding distance, there is a geofencing option. You can turn that off if you wish to fly out farther than the geofence. I believe it's called "Beginner Mode." With Beginner Mode off, there should be no distance limitations.

I find that Go and Go 4 GUI's are both inconsistent, in that they seem to change depending on the vehicle and the connection. It's weird and maddening. I wish they would just leave the GUI alone to show the same thing regardless of vehicle or connection. But I digress....

Have you removed those limitations?

Removing height limitations is a hack. Though I have hacked my Mavic and my P4P, I have not hacked the Inspire....yet.

You say you have had the best results with version1.8 and I am on 1.9 would you downgrade or are the 1.9 results just the same?

Well...if you read my previous post OR watch the video, I explain that the only change from 1.8 to 1.9 is expanded NFZ's. If NFZ's are not a problem, then you might as well stay on v1.9. In my professional experience, eventually NFZ's DO become a problem. I haven't hacked my Inspire because all the work I do in Class D and Class C is mapping. So my P4P and Mavic Pro are NFZ-hacked.

Given that the Aircraft is possibly working at its best, should I be worrying about the app version. I am on version 3.0.0, should I try to upgrade to 3.1.1 as yourself or even the latest version?"

App v3.1.1 offers the most features without requiring a login to the DJI mothership. So that's the version I use.

Any thoughts on the batteries given that they have been out of action for so long?

Use the Go app to check battery FW versions, and make sure they're all the same. As I recall, the only way to update the battery FW is to run the FW update for the Inspire via the MicroSD card and the .bin files. If they've been in storage a very long time, I wouldn't trust them until I got at least 2 low-level flights out of them. These would be low, slow flights in a park over grass with no camera attached. You're basically setting yourself up for a crash. Even a 2-3' hover would work, if you have the patience.

Many thanks in advance.

You bet.

Last edited:
Hi Donnie,
Thanks again for the great reply.
In that case how do I update my App to 3.1.1 (from 3.0.0.) which as you point out will have the most features, given that the one available on the App store is a later version?
I have also checked my files and I do still have FW_V01.08.01.00 2 , should I down grade it or not bother?
Im still unsure as to whether to update the IOS on my iPad mini 2 from 10.3.3 to IOS 11?
I think the height and distance limitations I refer to relate to the following:

DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

Hi Donnie,
Thanks again for the great reply.
In that case how do I update my App to 3.1.1 (from 3.0.0.) which as you point out will have the most features, given that the one available on the App store is a later version?

Unfortunately, it's a "process"...dare I say a "hack." You install the version you want through iTunes. I don't have time to explain in full detail, but you download the .ipa file (which is a program file, which is the iPad version of a .exe file), load that into iTunes, and then connect your iPad to iTunes and install the app via iTunes. There are online tutorials how to do this. But for now, stick with the app version you have.

I have also checked my files and I do still have FW_V01.08.01.00 2 , should I down grade it or not bother?

NO! That is the perfect version to have.

Im still unsure as to whether to update the IOS on my iPad mini 2 from 10.3.3 to IOS 11?

I don't allow my iPads to update, as they seem to run slower and slower. Go into the "Storage" settings and DELETE the iOS update file, or it might try to update when you're not looking!

I think the height and distance limitations I refer to relate to the following:

DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates

I need more information. Are you the original owner of the drone? Has it always had these limitations? I need more data.

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

You bet. I wish I had more time, but have to go to work.

Regards,

Donnie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters