Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Upgrade Firmware or leave well enough alone?

rmb

Reaction score
Website
overexposures.net
I have been reluctant to upgrade based on horror stories and threads with titles like:
"Crash after 1.9!"
"Rolled back to "1.8.1"
"Don't upgrade because because you can't rollback more that 1 version"
And this one... "A lot of pilots would give their right arm to still have an older version"

This is my current
App 2.6.0
Aircraft 1.4.00.10
Remote 1.3.20+
Camera 1.4.00.10

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, rb

I have upgraded everytime a new firmware came out. I wait about 2-3 weeks after released to update. But I have had no issues what so ever with the performance on my aircraft. I will keep on doing this as it has done me good. I have heard bad stories from the start of the very first firmware out there for the inspire1 but it really seems mostly that is caused by pilot error. But who really knows I just hope for the best and figure updates are important or there wouldn't be the need for them so why not keep up to date since technology is always growing.

Reactions: AL_Gray
@rmb I'm on the same boat as you. Trying not to have my x5 fall out of the sky. Been flying safely with the old firmware so I've been reluctant to upgrade

I know. It's hard to turn away from the possible upside and advantages from the implementation of increased technology and the maturing of an operating system. But it is also hard to turn away from the common sense in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dead.
Went down to fetch my I1 down to the valley (45 m)
after the RC disconected suddenly.
We know the rest of the story :
Stopped in the air...
Lost the battery etc...

I have said this before and I will say it again. I have upgraded to the latest firmware and apps as they are released - and sometimes before (sshhhh). I have not experienced any of the horror stories reported by the few on this forum. Each release is subject to beta testing and none from my experience has been released if serious or flight safety issues are found. Follow the update process, look after your batteries and fly safe within your and the aircraft's limits.

I have said this before and I will say it again. I have upgraded to the latest firmware and apps as they are released - and sometimes before (sshhhh). I have not experienced any of the horror stories reported by the few on this forum. Each release is subject to beta testing and none from my experience has been released if serious or flight safety issues are found. Follow the update process, look after your batteries and fly safe within your and the aircraft's limits.
Thanks Scotflieger. May I ask are you currently enjoying smooth flying with 1.9 or are you waiting a bit and still flying 1.8.1?

I am also holding on to 1.9.1.1. So my question. After the warning that hardware needs firmware update and hitting the X (maybe later but not now:) ) is there a point where the system will not let you fly unless you update? I cant remember if this happened before. Someone mentioned there is a 72 hr countdown after the initial warning. I just don't want to get caught out at a site with my pants down....Thanks for any info...

I am also holding on to 1.9.1.1. So my question. After the warning that hardware needs firmware update and hitting the X (maybe later but not now:) ) is there a point where the system will not let you fly unless you update? I cant remember if this happened before. Someone mentioned there is a 72 hr countdown after the initial warning. I just don't want to get caught out at a site with my pants down....Thanks for any info...
I can't speak for the updaters, but I have been flying 1.4 with a "firmware update required" message for over 8 months and have not had an issue. If that is the case it is only in the newer FW versions

I can't speak for the updaters, but I have been flying 1.4 with a "firmware update required" message for over 8 months and have not had an issue. If that is the case it is only in the newer FW versions

I'm on 1.4 too. No issues. I'm scared to update haha

I update as they become available. Currently running 1.9.1.30.

I update because that is what DJI suggests. Why else come out with an update? DJI does not make updates to cause us problems. I am confident that they feel each and every update is an improvement.

Hard to blame DJI for a problem when you do not update.

After an update calibrate compass, IMU and re-link RC. That will probably eliminate 90% of the problems after an update. The majority of the remaining 10% is probably pilot error.

I update as they become available. Currently running 1.9.1.30.

I update because that is what DJI suggests. Why else come out with an update? DJI does not make updates to cause us problems. I am confident that they feel each and every update is an improvement.

Hard to blame DJI for a problem when you do not update.

After an update calibrate compass, IMU and re-link RC. That will probably eliminate 90% of the problems after an update. The majority of the remaining 10% is probably pilot error.
Exactly. Most people choose to skip the IMU cal, which is very important! Especially after a firmware. I did all the calibrations, already on my 6th battery. No issues at all.

Reactions: Scotflieger
To do imu cal. Does the ground need to be exactly level??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - and absolutely NO vibrations of any kind.
Can I ask another stupid question about IMU calibrations? Does it have to be done outdoors / where it will have good GPS and satellite links? I have always done it outdoors, on a table levelled etc. etc. but it is obviously harder to keep the aircraft cool under these conditions. I do this because I read that was necessary very early in Inspire 1 timeline but have more recently read about people doing the IMU cal indoors. So can anyone tell me what the real requirement is? Does it matter if there is a GPS and satellite connection whilst doing the IMU calibration?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry