Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

upgrade FPV camera on inspire 2

Anyone have any idea where to buy a higher resolution camera if possible that could be swapped in ?

if not the obvious route would be to install a fixed higher def camera... which I'm already in motion of doing but just seeing if anyone out there has gone down this rabbit hole before.
This issue crossed my mind since the day one ... As for now, Inspire 2/Matrice 200 FPV is rather useless since with it's elevator cab security camera resolution I can't see feared power wires until it's too late. I'm afraid that simply swapping this mediocre sensor with better one will be much more complicated than we all hope to be. Both camera feeds are sharing the same bandwidth of Lightbridge transmission, I assume. Well, I know nothing, but I'm thinking about such improvement as well. Perhaps somebody better informed will chime in ...

I have one of those too! Thats nice though! I might just do that tomorrow... That is the first image I’ve seen of this done right. What battery did you use? Cause there is no way to break power out off the bird I’m sure?

I have one of those too! Thats nice though! I might just do that tomorrow... That is the first image I’ve seen of this done right. What battery did you use? Cause there is no way to break power out off the bird I’m sure?
We are friends with people in a really high-end drone company in LA. Their techs have figured out how to do it. They'll let us hire one of their pilots when we need to but they won't tell us how they got 12v out of the bird. The only hint they give is that you've really got to take it apart and some older Inspire 2s have the solder tab labeled "12v". So we just use 500mah 3S Velcro'd to the side. See those earlier pics in this thread of the Prosight install I did. Exact same battery. It's a HobbyKing Zippy. We have like 10 of them now. The only hassle is having to plug the camera battery in before taking off and unplug it after landing. It's just another step.

Well that's pretty cool, I'll figure out how to do that tomorrow. We've got a few crashed birds around here.

Honestly though how great would it be to be able to pull that up on your DJI go HUD too. That would be brilliant!

Well that's pretty cool, I'll figure out how to do that tomorrow. We've got a few crashed birds around here.

Honestly though how great would it be to be able to pull that up on your DJI go HUD too. That would be brilliant!
Let me know if you find it! Please... :) I'd be a hero to my partner.

We run dual monitors so it works out really well. The pilot needs to see what the AC is doing (pilotcam) and what the camera op is doing (Go4).

Reactions: Black Sky
This has been on my mind for a long time. Please keep posting ideas/solutions and or folks to do the upgrade for those of us that need help installing. Thanks! Beverly Hills Aerial you guys are amazing by the way.

We are friends with people in a really high-end drone company in LA. Their techs have figured out how to do it. They'll let us hire one of their pilots when we need to but they won't tell us how they got 12v out of the bird. The only hint they give is that you've really got to take it apart and some older Inspire 2s have the solder tab labeled "12v". So we just use 500mah 3S Velcro'd to the side. See those earlier pics in this thread of the Prosight install I did. Exact same battery. It's a HobbyKing Zippy. We have like 10 of them now. The only hassle is having to plug the camera battery in before taking off and unplug it after landing. It's just another step.
Haha yes Beverly Hills boys? I used the DJI OCUSYNC system with the DJI goggles.Great view.
I have had several inspire 2s as apart as you can get them and there is plenty of places to solder in for power.

Haha yes Beverly Hills boys? I used the DJI OCUSYNC system with the DJI goggles.Great view.
I have had several inspire 2s as apart as you can get them and there is plenty of places to solder in for power.
No... not Beverly Hills boys... these guys fly a lot of full scale AC. Drones are the bottom end of their biz.

I haven't tried Ocusync but I'm curious. One, I don't like to fly with goggles. I need to be able to get my eyes on the drone LOS immediately without removing my hands from the sticks. And with 1,000 to 2,000 nit monitors there's really no need for goggles anymore anyway. Two, isn't the latency still in the 100 to 200ms range? I need under 50ms to do some of the proximity flying we do. Jeep's most recent Jurassic Park commercial is a good example. I was 1 to 1.5 feet above the roofs of those 4 Jeeps with a closing speed of 35mph and it needed to be a NOW type video feed. That was shot using the Prosight as the pilotcam. We shot that scene for 2 hours. The directors wanted it all different ways.

I suppose I should get an Ocusync system and experiment. For $700... I dunno... It sure has some great features.

• Wow
Reactions: Phillip DeVore
No... not Beverly Hills boys... these guys fly a lot of full scale AC. Drones are the bottom end of their biz.

I haven't tried Ocusync but I'm curious. One, I don't like to fly with goggles. I need to be able to get my eyes on the drone LOS immediately without removing my hands from the sticks. And with 1,000 to 2,000 nit monitors there's really no need for goggles anymore anyway. Two, isn't the latency still in the 100 to 200ms range? I need under 50ms to do some of the proximity flying we do. Jeep's most recent Jurassic Park commercial is a good example. I was 1 to 1.5 feet above the roofs of those 4 Jeeps with a closing speed of 35mph and it needed to be a NOW type video feed. That was shot using the Prosight as the pilotcam. We shot that scene for 2 hours. The directors wanted it all different ways.

I suppose I should get an Ocusync system and experiment. For $700... I dunno... It sure has some great features.
Hey Eric,

I just watched the Jeep commercial and know how difficult some of those shots were to get. When you flew over the 4 jeeps, did you get much wind buffer effect pushing up on the drone? I would think it would be tough to keep the bird at that altitude the whole time - which may be why the shot was so short?

Thanks!

I2 FPV Camera is horrible. It really takes all of the fun out of using the product in two man ops situation and your the pilot. I’d pay good money to get a mavic pro camera installed in that spot!

I just did this fix for fun. I have an ipad with cellular and I face time my iphone. I attatch my iphone to the drone and when I am in the dji app it stays on top. I can also use full screen if I want. It only weights 7 ounces so its not a problem. Its a great clean picture. This would work well for the pilot to see. Let me know what you all think?

I just did this fix for fun. I have an ipad with cellular and I face time my iphone. I attatch my iphone to the drone and when I am in the dji app it stays on top. I can also use full screen if I want. It only weights 7 ounces so its not a problem. Its a great clean picture. This would work well for the pilot to see. Let me know what you all think?

That's an interesting solution. But one of the main problems I have with the stock FPV cam is latency during close-proximity flight. The difference between 200ms and < 50ms is night and day. I feel like I'm always playing catch up with the stock camera and it's impossible for me to do close, fast flying. Still using the TBS Unify Pro 32 HV powered off the Inspire's 6S batteries. All of our Inspires are outfitted with this setup now.

Latency would be too much of an issue to be of any real use.

Reactions: Eric Braun

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop