Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Velcro Hoodivisions not ideal for Inspire pilots

I bought the iPad mini version of the Pad Hat product. It's OK, but it really needs some refinement to be a professional tool. In practical use, the side tabs are just too weak to hold on in anything but the calmest operating environment. I know I can meticulously clean the screen in between each use, but I'm already juggling enough to be bothered with one more checklist item that shouldn't be on the list. And, after trying Steve CEO's suggestion of using some rubbing alcohol, the tabs were still not very secure. So, like others, I have resorted to using thinly torn strips of gaffers tape to hold them down. Not exactly elegant, but it works.

For me, the biggest issue that hinges on deal-breaker for me is the combination of the floppiness, angle and length of the hood fabric itself. I have to lean the iPad mini all the way back in its holder to get a view of the screen. Obviously, this is not the ideal angle of view that Apple had in mind when they built the tablet. Furthermore, this puts the iPad body directly touching properly placed antennas on the controller. If the fabric was 3/4 as long, it would work better, with the screen tilted more upright and in direct line of sight, away from antennas. The changed angle of the tablet would reduce the amount of light falling on the screen commensurately at most times of day.

One last beef - the fabric tends to puff outward around the sides. It's especially true if you're not reinforcing the not-very-sticky tabs. This lets in excess light, defeating the purpose of the hood in the first place.

So, more rigid material that is shorter on top, and stickier side tabs would all make this a better product. For me, the magnet connector is the best part of the whole design, which is ironic since Steve CEO said it's their biggest challenge to get right....
As we have stated several times on this thread, we have velcro conversion tabs for the Nanostik wing tabs for those who want a firmer stick for the wings. In fact we now include them with all orders. Much better than tape. If you received a shade without them please contact us here and we will send you them free of charge.

The viewing angle and shade height are determined by the physics of light and glare. Changing the angle and or height will negate the purpose of the hood. We tested over 40 versions to produced the best combination. If you are attaching the hood correctly there should be little if any light leak around the edges. The wings should angle out and the tips hang over the sides. Please send us a pic of your attachment and we can help you to get it right. We have had no reports of reduced or impaired range because of the antennas.

We researched different materials including rigid plastic but determined that for weight, portability and the ability to open wider for display access that a "soft" construction was the best solution. "Box" shades as shown on this forum are bulky, do not fold for storage and heavier. Plastic versions are at least twice as heavy and even when collapsed are difficult to carry and store.

We have hundreds of pros from architects and construction workers, to filmmakers and real estate agents who are extremely pleased with their PadHat shades and are constantly sending us thanks. The same goes for the great majority of Inspire 1 pilots, amateur and pro. In fact we were at International Drone Day in San Diego and one of top competitors using an Inspire 1 with a HoodiVision shade won 2 races including finding and reading numbers out in a field. He had the visual advantage.

Last edited:
As we have stated several times on this thread, we have velcro conversion tabs for the Nanostik wing tabs for those who want a firmer stick for the wings. In fact we now include them with all orders. Much better than tape.

G'day Steve,

Would I have gotten the velcro conversion tabs?
You just recently sent off mine. My order number is 1786
I'm in Australia.

Thanks.

Reactions: Steve CEO
The viewing angle and shade height are determined by the physics of light and glare. Changing the angle and or height will negate the purpose of the hood. We tested over 40 versions to produced the best combination. If you are attaching the hood correctly there should be little if any light leak around the edges. The wings should angle out and the tips hang over the sides. Please send us a pic of your attachment and we can help you to get it right. We have had no reports of reduced or impaired range because of the antennas.
Steve, you have been insistent about all of that, and points for consistency. However, with all due respect, it doesn't change the design flaws. It's really not that scientific... If you tilt the iPad to face the sky, you are going to get more direct glare. That's not physics. It's common sense.

Perhaps if you tried a new way of thinking, wherein you tilted the iPad more toward the operator and less toward the sky, maybe you wouldn't have to make such a long, droopy hood? The material, while soft and not translucent, is saggy and actually works against the side tabs by not conforming well to the bends. I'm not trying to be rude here, just pointing out something that seems obvious to me. I'm sure you've done lots of testing, and I hear that you think you've exhausted the options, but the material characteristics of the hood at this point leave it less than optimal.

And yes, without the inevitable slippage of the side tabs, I can control for light leaks. I think that stronger suction cups are in order, honestly. Sticking velcro on a tablet that I might not want to dedicate to my drone is probably less than ideal.

If you would actually take to heart the criticism (and not just from me) of the product and consider it as constructive rather than some sort of personal attack on your ideas or design work, it might just make your product better. I think that you ignore good critical experience reports at your own peril. There will eventually be more competition in this space, and I'm sure you believe that, too.

Steve, you have been insistent about all of that, and points for consistency. However, with all due respect, it doesn't change the design flaws. It's really not that scientific... If you tilt the iPad to face the sky, you are going to get more direct glare. That's not physics. It's common sense.

Perhaps if you tried a new way of thinking, wherein you tilted the iPad more toward the operator and less toward the sky, maybe you wouldn't have to make such a long, droopy hood? The material, while soft and not translucent, is saggy and actually works against the side tabs by not conforming well to the bends. I'm not trying to be rude here, just pointing out something that seems obvious to me. I'm sure you've done lots of testing, and I hear that you think you've exhausted the options, but the material characteristics of the hood at this point leave it less than optimal.

And yes, without the inevitable slippage of the side tabs, I can control for light leaks. I think that stronger suction cups are in order, honestly. Sticking velcro on a tablet that I might not want to dedicate to my drone is probably less than ideal.

If you would actually take to heart the criticism (and not just from me) of the product and consider it as constructive rather than some sort of personal attack on your ideas or design work, it might just make your product better. I think that you ignore good critical experience reports at your own peril. There will eventually be more competition in this space, and I'm sure you believe that, too.

Then you would get a reflection of yourself. This has been discussed over and over.. It's not hard to understand

I understand that. But, to settle on this design is to settle for less than what it should be.
As you noted we have consistently stated we spent 18 months developing and testing over 40 designs... and we still continue to test and and revise our products as the comparison between last year's Hoodini and the new PadHat clearly demonstrates. And as stated before the original product was not developed for drone pilots, but instead for the person wanting to use their iPad outdoors. The pilots discovered us en masse last month and we have consistently listened to and addressed their comments. We have sent shades to receptive pilots for testing and feedback and continue to do so. Adding the velcro conversion tabs was directly addressing pilot needs. We also lowered the wing tabs and now sew them to the binding instead of higher up in the color part of the wing for a much better stick. Only about 100 shades were sent with the higher wing tabs and if you received one we will happily exchange it.

And respectfully, it is completely about science. The option you proffered to cut the shade height does not work. If it did why would we not offer it that way? Any shade that does not have the correct ratio of angle to height as explained on our website simply will not shade the complete surface of the tablet and tilting the iPad up shows reflections of the user just like a mirror as blade strike pointed out. A box shade with a 90 degree angle still must have a top overhang that ends up at the same height vs overhang ratio.

No personal attack or criticism is taken so I suggest we eliminate that unnecessary and counter productive line of thinking from the conversation.
We are simply addressing the facts.

If you or anyone has a better solution to attaching the shade wings to the surface of the iPad we are all ears. We explored every adhesive and attachment style that we could research and find including conversations with 3M and multiple nano suction material producers. Some creative users have discovered that by using a shell case and adhering the velcro conversion tabs to the bottom side edges of the case and top of the NanoStik tabs that they do not have to stick anything to the iPad itself. We encourage such experimentation and appreciate it when users bring it to our attention. In fact earlier on the thread we posted a solution by a pilot for use with an Nvidia tablet with a thick shell case.

And finally we are under no illusions that we will satisfy 100% of users 100% of the time. That is the same with most products.
That is why we offer a 30 day unconditional return policy (our current return rate is less than 1%).
If you continue to be dissatisfied please contact us here for return info and you can try a competitor's product that better suits your needs.

I hope that addresses your comments and issues and sincerely wish you the best in your quest for the best flying experience.

i will bet anything someone comes up with a better design soon. there is no reason you couldnt make one that angles up, then the tablet would be facing your body, and not the sky.

i will bet anything someone comes up with a better design soon. there is no reason you couldnt make one that angles up, then the tablet would be facing your body, and not the sky.

John, you design it and prove it beats the Hoodi, and I'll buy the first one! Heck, I'll even invest in the company!

Would you use a shade that is twice as high to change the angle?
If so we would like to hear from more pilots who would accept that.
We are by far the best selling shades on the market because they work.
There at least 5 other products on the market already and none of them have the combination of low weight, portability, ease of attachment, access to all ports and buttons, and effective shade that ours offer.

Last edited:
not if the visor is angled up, so the face of the ipad is facing your body, try it...go outside with no hood. hold it facing you, theres a lot of shade from your body. now angle it up towards your face, yes you get reflection. if the tablet is vertical you are reflecting your tummy.

Last edited:
not if the visor is angled up, so the face of the ipad is facing your body, try it...go outside with no hood. hold it facing you, theres a lot of shade from your body. now angle it up towards your face, yes you get reflection

I have tried many shades, none of them work as well as the hoodi it's really that simple.

i agree blade, i have one and use it. i just think there is a better design to be invented by someone, and this is not the last and greatest design ever.

if I were steve, i would listen to peoples ideas and keep perfecting it, rather than defend it so aggressively

Reactions: CoastalBird
i agree blade, i have one and use it. i just think there is a better design to be invented by someone, and this is not the last and greatest design ever.

if I were steve, i would listen to peoples ideas and keep perfecting it, rather than defend it so aggressively
Please read the reply above to CoastalBird. The implication that we do not listen to users and respond with design improvements is a misrepresentation of our company. It is not defensive, it is fact and as the CEO I would be remiss if I did not reinforce the facts about us and our products. We stand by them 100%.

The "solution" about reflection is not a solution as the reflection is still there. I suppose one could wear black but that is really not realistic for most people, especially on hot outdoor days.

Would you accept a 90 degree shade if it was over twice as high?
This is meant as a serious question considering that shade angle height vs angle is a a reoccurring issue and we have no control over the actual physics.

The angle of the iPad isn't the only flaw criticized, blade. There are improvements that could be made with a change in material, for instance. Just saying, innovation doesn't care how much time you spend on forums defending a flawed and stagnant design.

Perhaps take a cue from the likes of Hoodman, a company that has been building different screen shades for different field monitors for years. They build long, rigid velcro attached shades that have a fully enclosed design - in other words, shades on all four sides of the screen, not just 1 and 2 halves. A proper design would probably include a case for the tablet, with a velcro edge that the screen attaches to, so you don't have to stick velcro on the tablet surface itself. I think I might give those guys a call.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips