Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Velcro Hoodivisions not ideal for Inspire pilots

Reaction score
After waiting for the new model of Hoodivision to arrive and get shipped out I am disappointed to report that the Velcro model is not well suited for use on the Inspire controller. I found it was difficult to fit and its adhesive pads were not effectively placed for the clamp on the controller or the functions on the iPad. I emailed Hoodivision and give them great credit for promptly replying saying that the magnetic version is much more suitable and fits the needs of Inspire pilots much better. They sent me a couple of photos and testamonials from satisfied clients showing the magnetic model being used successfully on Inspire controllers. In return for receiving my money back I offered to amend my original post to an advisory that any potential purchasers should consider the magnetic model as being the most suitable. I also suggested that they amend their website to make this distinction for potential buyers who may not be members on this forum. Hopefully this will alleviate any disappointed buyers of their product from venting on forums like this.

Last edited:
i pulled the magnet strip out of the older mini version, and it clamps in if your careful. im not a fan though. the sides blew out on a windy day, and i had to dance around for a minute while it flopped in the way collapsing. if its windy im gaf taping it.

Reactions: Lucan
I used them today with an iPad air 2 and iPad mini. I liked them however a gust did blow the tabs off the face of the iPad once. Overall pretty good

Reactions: Steve CEO
After waiting for the new model of Hoodivision to arrive and get shipped out I am disappointed to report that the Velcro model is not well suited for use on the Inspire controller. I found it was difficult to fit and its adhesive pads were not effectively placed for the clamp on the controller or the functions on the iPad. I emailed Hoodivision and give them great credit for promptly replying saying that the magnetic version is much more suitable and fits the needs of Inspire pilots much better. They sent me a couple of photos and testamonials from satisfied clients showing the magnetic model being used successfully on Inspire controllers. In return for receiving my money back I offered to amend my original post to an advisory that any potential purchasers should consider the magnetic model as being the most suitable. I also suggested that they amend their website to make this distinction for potential buyers who may not be members on this forum. Hopefully this will alleviate any disappointed buyers of their product from venting on forums like this.

Great minds think alike. I have just ordered the magnetic version from Hoodvision. Its apparently shipped so will see it it goes soon.

I too ordered one, but they sent me the mini version. Not Happy! Don't think I would recommend at this point!
However,

Life is Good!

Hello DJI Pilots,

We would like to clear up several issues about the PadHat that have been recently posted. We understand that with a new product it can take some time for everyone to learn how works, its advantages and its limits. We have had several exchanges with 2 of the commenters on this thread and believe it is important to share with everyone the information we provided.

First we would like to be very clear that we have an unconditional 30 day return policy and a 1 year guarantee on materials under normal use as described under Terms and Conditons that must be checked before a purchase is completed. There is no quid pro quo for any return. In one case we did offer to also refund the international shipping but again there was no quid pro quo. Here is what we stated in the exchange: "... can you please try attaching again with the wings tabs in the proper position. Then if you are still unhappy we will graciously refund the cost of the shade and shipping and you can keep the shade. In exchange we ask and hope you will reconsider posting negative reviews of our product." There was no quid pro quo and no demand by either us or the customer.... we respectfully asked the customer to reconsider. We do appreciate that the comment was amended.

I will follow up with other questions, concerns and issues in comments below.

A handful of customers have expressed concern that either the shade is not wide enough, it covers ports, buttons, camera etc on the iPad, or that the NanoStik tabs impede on the display covering controls. We understand why they might have this misconception as the attachment is not necessarily intuitive upon first encounter.

Important: the PadHat, just like any smart cover, must be attached with the Home button on the left.

Properly attached the PadHat is specifically designed to provide complete and clear access to all ports and buttons on the iPad and not cover or impede the back facing camera in any way. Any shade or cover will affect the front facing "selfie/Facetime" camera but we are not aware of why this camera would be used during drone operation. And although the left wing passes over the Home button, that is one of the many reasons we use a "soft" construction as the edge of the shade is easily moved to one side or the other by the finger or thumb to immediately access the Home button from both inside and outside of the Shade. The volume controls and audio port are free and clear, the charge port is completely accessible just below the left wing edge and the power button is easily accessed just beneath right wing tip without removal of the shade either by pressing it through the shade or slipping the finger under the wing tip.

The PadHat is deliberately designed to taper from front to rear so that the iPad can be carried by either hand on either side when the hood is attached
The magnetic bar will automatically seek out and attach correctly centered just like a smart cover. And just like a smart cover the iPad Home button must be on the left as shown in the insert included with every shade. For the Hybrid (hook & loop velcro style) model a strip of hook & loop must be properly centered and applied as described in the FAQ page of our website. It is still important to have the iPad Home button on the left so that the hook & loop band does not cover the volume control buttons or impede on the camera if the strip is improperly applied.

The NanoStik wingtabs are meant to attach to the bezel ("frame") of the iPad with the leading edges of wings hanging just off the edges of the iPad as they open towards you. Attached this way they should not cover any controls on the display. Below are pics showing the proper alignment of the PadHat on the iPad. The pics show a magnetic shade but the principle is the same for the Hybrid.
Rear attach.JPG
The rear is centered with the tip of the wings hanging of the edges of the iPad.
side attach.JPG
The shades wings taper towards the rear and the NanoStik wing tabs do not cover the display.

Last edited:
A few have expressed that they received a mini instead of a full size.

While we are not perfect and in rare occasions the wrong size shade has accidentally shipped, usually the reason for this misperception is because the shades taper towards the back of the iPad. For a more detailed explanation please read our previous post above.

To easily verify if you received the correct shade please measure the back edge of the shade.
A full size is 8.5 inches / 21.6 cm wide.
The mini is 6.5 inches / 16.5 cm wide

Concern about iPad mounts and which model PadHat to use...

All shades are designed to attach directly to the iPad and not the mount itself. In the case of the Hybrid (velcro style) it also to designed to attach to many types of cases.

Both the magnetic and Hybrid (velcro style) models should work with most iPad mounts that use an adjustable clamp or spring loaded mechanism.
The top wrap over portion of the clamp should wrap over the magbar or hybrid strap and when locked down hold the back of the shade firmly in place.

The reason we suggest using the magnetic model is that it is not necessary to attach any hook & loop adhesive strips to the iPad and the mount clamp ensures a firm hold.

We are aware that some mounts use a "snap in" type holder. You should be able to attach either model shade to the iPad and then snap in the iPad with shade attached. It may be tight but with a little wrangling snap in.

In the case that anyone finds they cannot get the shade to work with their mount please send a pic and brand/model number of the mount mechanism so we can investigate. Our goal is always to find solutions and if a solution cannot be solved, make it clear that a particular mount will not work with our shades.

We try and make it clear that the magnetic version should be the first choice on both the UAV/Drone page on our website and on product page descriptions. The Hybrid (velcro style) model is designed for other uses in more rigorous motion and strong wind conditions where a mount clamp is not used such as boating, construction, etc.

UAV Hoodini.jpg
In this pic a pilot is using our 2nd generation model in the mount clamp.
Our new 3rd generation attaches in the same way.

UAV-1.png
Here are both the mini and full size mounted on Inspire 1 controllers.
The pilot says he loves our shades and just acquired a new PadHat and is very pleased with it.

Last edited:
Concern about the Nanostik wing tabs not holding or blowing off in strong winds...

The NanoStik wing tabs use thousands of micro suction cups and when properly applied hold quite well under normal conditions and winds.
Please be sure your iPad bezel is free of hand oils, dust, dirt, etc before attaching. We suggest using a cotton ball with a touch of rubbing alcohol to clean the iPad bezel when necessary. Firmly press and hold the tabs in place in the bezel for a few seconds and you should be good to go. The micro suction cups do accumulate dust and dirt over time and will lose their "stick". This is easily addressed with a piece of scotch tape by sticking the tape on the tab and then pulling it off. It will stick just like new.

We are aware that a small number of PaHats shipped with the Nanostik wing tabs sewn in a little too high so that the available surface on the tab is compromised when trying to attach to the iPad. We immediately addressed this issue in the manufacturing process and any shades shipped from now on will not have this problem. If you feel that is the case with your shade you may contact us for a free exchange. Be sure to include your original order number and model if possible.

The Hybrid (velcro style) includes velcro style tab conversion kits where a small piece is attached to the adhesive side of the wingtab and to the bezel of the iPad (some have experimented with attaching the pieces to the side of the iPad instead of the bezel and seems to be working for them). This ensures an even stronger attachment that stays firmly attached under most conditions.

We are now including the wing tab conversion kit with the magnetic shade so you can choose which attachment better suits your needs.
Current owners can request the kit free of charge if desired. Please be advised that once the velcro pieces are attached to the wing tabs it is not a reversible process.

I just received mine today--the magnetic one. I'm concerned about the sticky tabs, though. The first good breeze and good bye.

Having said that, I took it outside in the bright sun (Miami, the squint capital of the world!) and it did provide better shadowing on the screen--the 70 degree tilt is a great idea. But in order to see the screen, I had to draw the controller closer and hold it more level (tilting it down in back). Wondering if this will effect the signal to the aircraft as the antennas are now pointed downward.

Questions about the viewing angle and shade height...

After extensive research and testing over an 18 month development process of our shades, we determined the best ratio of shade height to angle to block glare on the iPad display. This is based on physics and anyone who claims or tries to sell you a shade that is shorter or at a different angle is either ill-informed or playing loosely with scientific facts. We would never sell a shorter shade because they do not work and a 90 degree shade would have to be more than twice as tall.

Please read here about The Science of Glare Reflection and Shade Angles on the iPad on our website to further understand the physics involved.
While there you can also read about Protection from iPad overheating and view infrared thermal heat tests.

I just received mine today--the magnetic one. I'm concerned about the sticky tabs, though. The first good breeze and good bye.

Having said that, I took it outside in the bright sun (Miami, the squint capital of the world!) and it did provide better shadowing on the screen--the 70 degree tilt is a great idea. But in order to see the screen, I had to draw the controller closer and hold it more level (tilting it down in back). Wondering if this will effect the signal to the aircraft as the antennas are now pointed downward.
Please read the comment just previous to yours about the wing tabs. Best Regards.

Why we use a "soft" style construction for our shades...

For the PadHat we use a custom produced 3 layer laminated material manufactured to our specs.

When properly attached the PadHat structure becomes quite firm and holds its shape under most conditions.
With the wings anchored and the back attached magnetically or with velcro they combine with the spring steel "keystone" embedded in the top edge of the shade to form a secure structure.

A soft shade has many advantages over plastic or canvass shades:

Viewing - Our unique construction and triple stitch process allows the shade to open wide for better viewing and access to the display.

Weight - As all pilots know, added weight to the controller when handheld is not a desired option.
Our shades are produced to be as lightweight as possible.
The PadHat weighs in at 3.5 ounces / 90 grams and the mini weighs only 2.4 ounces / 68 grams making them the lightest shades by more than half of any competitors.

Portability - Our shades fold up into the approximate size of a large checkbook wallet.
This means greater ease of portability and storage.
It also helps protect the NanoStik wing tabs from a more rapid accumulation of dirt and damage.

Longevity - the material will not crack or become damaged from prolonged sun exposure like plastic and is much easier to clean than canvass.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Magnets embedded in the iPad and PadHat...

There should be no reason to remove the magbar at the back of the PadHat.
In fact doing so compromises the structure of the shade and ability to stand firm when attached to the iPad.

On our UAV-Drones page here we address the issue of the magnets embedded in both the iPad and the PadHat as well as suggesting the magnetic version should be the first choice for Inspire 1 pilots with the Hybrid (velcro) version as a free exchange if any magnetic problems are experienced.

As of this date we have not heard of any instance of magnetic interference but want to be the first to know if it ever occurs.

Please let us know if you have any problems with magnets, or even better, let us know if you do not.

I too ordered one, but they sent me the mini version. Not Happy! Don't think I would recommend at this point!
However,

Life is Good!
While we are not perfect and in rare occasions the wrong size shade has accidentally shipped, usually the reason for this misperception is because the shades taper towards the back of the iPad. For a more detailed explanation please read our previous post above.

To easily verify if you received the correct shade please measure the back edge of the shade.
A full size is 8.5 inches / 21.6 cm wide.
The mini is 6.5 inches / 16.5 cm wide

i pulled the magnet strip out of the older mini version, and it clamps in if your careful. im not a fan though. the sides blew out on a windy day, and i had to dance around for a minute while it flopped in the way collapsing. if its windy im gaf taping it.
Please see the answers to the issues expressed and more above. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry