Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video and still Backups

Reaction score
I've been flying my P3 4k for about 18 months and an Inspire 1 V2 for 5 months now. After every day of flying I would download the video and still to a 4TB drive. Then reuse the SD card the next flight. A couple of days ago I went to edit video and what a surprise, not a good one. The 4TB Seagate was dead. Too many bad sectors! I used every method online and took it to the local guru. Nothing worked. I've lost 18 months of video and stills. From now on I'll keep separate SD cards for every project to protect the original footage and backup to a SSD. How many backups do you use normally??

I've been flying my P3 4k for about 18 months and an Inspire 1 V2 for 5 months now. After every day of flying I would download the video and still to a 4TB drive. Then reuse the SD card the next flight. A couple of days ago I went to edit video and what a surprise, not a good one. The 4TB Seagate was dead. Too many bad sectors! I used every method online and took it to the local guru. Nothing worked. I've lost 18 months of video and stills. From now on I'll keep separate SD cards for every project to protect the original footage and backup to a SSD. How many backups do you use normally??
Sorry you lost your footage - lessons learned....

1. It's not a matter of if but when a hard drive will fail - they all do eventually.
2. Seagate make rubbish HDD's - best to use an enterprise hard drive for critical data and even then run a raid.

Wow! That hurts. It happened to me to but it was family vacation pics. Cost me another trip to Italy :-(
I user two external drives. One for my MAC and one for windows machine. Keep copies of raw data on both. I also use Dropbox as it is easy to share out to my clients for viewing before moving to website. Carbonite is also a fairly cheap solution if you get the home version.

Agreed, Seagate drives should be avoided.

My previous business used many 1000s of Western Digital RAID certified drives (RE & Red editions) and experienced very good reliability. Samsung also seem reliable although we have used far less of these.

Reactions: robcarson
I use a 5 drive RAID that can survive 2 drive failures. 40T of storage becomes only 26T but it’s worth the peace of mind. We also backup to a separate drive offsite at my partner’s house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toma55o