Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video choppy?? Your Inspire might be the problem! Dropped frames confirmed!

Reaction score
When watching back my first flight test footage, it seemed to stutter quite a bit. (4k 30fps)
So, I noticed the stutter was consistent in certain parts of the video (during a slow pan).
Opened the video in Adobe Premiere, advanced frame-by-frame.
Sure enough, at the point of stutter, there are 2 consecutive video frames. The inspire USES THE SAME FRAME as the previous, perhaps if it cannot keep up? This is using the included SD card.

If I delete the rogue frame, that section of video looks normal again.

Computer too slow? No - Core i7, GeForce GTX 680.
SD card to slow? This SD card came WITH the Inspire.
Video was copied to an SSD, same result.
Converted video to 1080p to rule out performance issue, no change.

This makes the video look like crap. I encourage you to test your footage frame-by-frame if you are suspicious, and report similar findings.

When watching back my first flight test footage, it seemed to stutter quite a bit. (4k 30fps)
So, I noticed the stutter was consistent in certain parts of the video (during a slow pan).
Opened the video in Adobe Premiere, advanced frame-by-frame.
Sure enough, at the point of stutter, there are 2 consecutive video frames. The inspire USES THE SAME FRAME as the previous, perhaps if it cannot keep up? This is using the included SD card.

If I delete the rogue frame, that section of video looks normal again.

Computer too slow? No - Core i7, GeForce GTX 680.
SD card to slow? This SD card came WITH the Inspire.
Video was copied to an SSD, same result.
Converted video to 1080p to rule out performance issue, no change.

This makes the video look like crap. I encourage you to test your footage frame-by-frame if you are suspicious, and report similar findings.

Nice find!

Sounds like a bug frankly. It would be awesome if you could possibly report this to DJI.

Great work.

Haven't noticed that, but then I shoot 25fps which is a round number.

If you're shooting 30fps (actually 29.97) you may have Premiere configured to use the wrong timecode system which may cause that when it realigns.

Would be interesting to see a short raw clip that shows the problem for you and see how it behaves in other apps.

Haven't noticed that, but then I shoot 25fps which is a round number.

If you're shooting 30fps (actually 29.97) you may have Premiere configured to use the wrong timecode system which may cause that when it realigns.

Would be interesting to see a short raw clip that shows the problem for you and see how it behaves in other apps.

Dragging and dropping raw Inspire footage file onto a new Sequence in Premiere should properly / magically set the Sequence settings to match the clip settings.

But definitely make sure the Sequence settings match the clip settings.

I changed to a pixtor ultra high speed micro SD card and my camera incodes perfectly. The original card that comes with the inspire isn't very fast. It handeled 1080p/60 fine but 4k was an issue. This could be your issue.

Yes the 4k setting leaves much to be desired. I only shoot in 1080p60 now and it is much smoother and free of artifacts. My theory is the bitrate is too low on 4k

I changed to a pixtor ultra high speed micro SD card and my camera incodes perfectly. The original card that comes with the inspire isn't very fast. It handeled 1080p/60 fine but 4k was an issue. This could be your issue.

I hope this is the issue . Will try a new card . The 4K footage looks really good to me (of course I'm only seeing it on a 1440p screen), but I can definitely see compression artifacts.

Seems like a good video filter could smooth out the artifacts ?

My I1 has always had jerky video using any 4K settings. I have tried 3 different ultra high speed micro SD cards all with the same jumpy results. I have been waiting for this post since day 1 (1/15/15) I would like to see a post on which micro SD cards do and do not work on 4K. I tried to attached a 30 second video but it would not upload.

Most of the time choppy playback is caused by the playback device and/or framerate conversions it might introduce.

Reactions: johnmont250
I get the choppy recording on 4k as well. Solution: 1080p60
But when I do want to record 4k, say for archival purposes or I really want that detail, I use Optical Flow in FCPx under the video quality settings. Optical Flow adds mini frames in between the actual frames which helps reduce the appearance of choppiness. I think this is called Interpolation? Anyhow, I've come to expect that it will be another year before we can see equipment that capture 4k like a pro.

It all depends on what "like a pro " means to you... Typically "pros" actually precisely look for the "film-like" choppiness of 24/25p video.
I tend to agree as watching The Hobbit in high framerate looked awfully artificial to me.

The key to nice looking low framerate footage us to use the proper shutter speed, which is why people like Renaat have developed stronger ND filters for the I1.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: The Editor
I like this thread... I would like to see the pan way slower. I have tried every setting different ISO and Shutter speed. And I am a professional like I own 3 reds. This is a great camera platform. 4k well not real 4k. The Red One's still rank in the top five 4k camera's and they are dated. Is it data rate you bet. Doing a real pad the pan rate we use in say a 90 degree turn well in excess of 3 minutes. No rolling shutter at all. Cut that down by a faster frame rate or a faster shutter speed. Though a faster shutter speed didn't effect the amount I get from the DJI. So if this is in fact an extra frame being dropped in then it is a software issue. And yes 1080 er 2k at 60 does work better. And I don't; see it a 24 / 30 at all... I am more mad with the crash feature they have in it. The one that corrupts the file if you don't shut off the camera before you land it. They need to be called on that one...

I record 1080P 60FPS, dont have a monitor capable of viewing 4K. Sometimes i get slow/choppiness when playing the files via windows media player on my i7core quad 6 gig ram radeon HD 6970 vid card but not always in the same sport. Also they play seamlessly on my samsung galaxy note 4, I think maybe i have not enough RAM? Unsure.

Never had problem UNTIL recent trip to Mexico beach. I changed cards and had thought it could have been card but come to find out think it was more the extreme temperature and the fact the camera was hot. I did check the fan and it's working properly. I use the Lexar cards from 16-64GB and they always seemed consistent. I'll post my customs experience in the general forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop