Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video choppy.

Reaction score
I flew my inspire 2 times. The video seems to be choppy. I thought it was my erratic movement, but i noticed cars driving on the highway seemed to freeze then they would appear further down the road. This was while the inspire was hovering in one spot.

What could cause this, what is the best setting to be in to have smooth motion? I was in follow mode.

I flew my inspire 2 times. The video seems to be choppy. I thought it was my erratic movement, but i noticed cars driving on the highway seemed to freeze then they would appear further down the road. This was while the inspire was hovering in one spot.

What could cause this, what is the best setting to be in to have smooth motion? I was in follow mode.

Are you talking about tablet video on the app, or the video recorded on the microSD card in the camera?

If it is the first, then it's possible that your tablet doesn't have enough processing power to display the video smoothly, or it could be that you are flying the Inspire far enough away that the transmission is weak and laggy. What tablet are you using? If it's video from the card then that's another problem.

Are you talking about tablet video on the app, or the video recorded on the microSD card in the camera?

If it is the first, then it's possible that your tablet doesn't have enough processing power to display the video smoothly, or it could be that you are flying the Inspire far enough away that the transmission is weak and laggy. What tablet are you using? If it's video from the card then that's another problem.
Video that is recorded and viewed on my computer. I am using an ipad mini retina. I was hovering about 40 feet away from the transmitter.

Which SD card were you using? The supplied SD card, or a different one? That sounds like what happens when the recording medium (SD card) is not fast enough to keep up with the video bitrate...

and what kind of computer do you have and video card ? sounds like you computer is not up to the task especially if shooting 4K

and what kind of computer do you have and video card ? sounds like you computer is not up to the task especially if shooting 4K
Yeah I agree. Actually I can't even watch youtube vids at the 4k playback setting. Best I can do is watch at 1080p. My pc has just enough horsepower to edit at 1080p, but previews have to be low res. 4k is great and all, but there's the whole other side of dealing with that if you need post at all. There's a major expense to think about when you decide to go 4k just because. Frankly I plan to shoot mostly in 1080p for a while, only because I know my video limitations on the pc side of things.

Yeah I agree. Actually I can't even watch youtube vids at the 4k playback setting. Best I can do is watch at 1080p. My pc has just enough horsepower to edit at 1080p, but previews have to be low res. 4k is great and all, but there's the whole other side of dealing with that if you need post at all. There's a major expense to think about when you decide to go 4k just because. Frankly I plan to shoot mostly in 1080p for a while, only because I know my video limitations on the pc side of things.

Agreed. I think the "4K" thing is just nice marketing you can use against your competitors (I know I am) that are using Phantoms or otherwise. Practically though, I don't be doing 4K unless someone asks for it. To see it at home, you need a 4K compatible TV (obviously), but even people putting these vids up on YouTube need to remember that 95% (probably even higher than that) of computers can't see the 4K.

1080p still rules for now, and for quite a while from now.

I am using the sd card supplied with the inspire1. I have a iMac 2.7 intel i5 with 16gb of ram.

Hmm, I would maybe try the footage on a different computer to make sure it's the footage itself, vs a problem with your computer. Eliminate one thing at a time to find the actual cause of the issue :)

I don't recall but you should know what mode your shooting. In. With the sd card in your cAmera is play back choppy on your iPad ?

Do as Wattage suggests first.

VLC
uses much less CPU/GPU processing power than fx. QuickTime, so if your system is on the slow side and 4K plays choppy, it could give you a better playback.
I loaded VLC and the video works fine. I was using quicktime. You are correct.

Thnaks

Not sure if this is the same issue i am having, but see the video link. DJI had me send back in, they think it is a hardware issue? Well i guess 3 weeks won't kill me since i don't have prop locks or the real IOS app yet :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop