Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video quality on inspire 1 is horrible?!

Reaction score
Dji inspire 1 test flight Vancouver wa I5 bridge:

Especially around 6:30

What is the glitchy looking stutter called? Why is this video so bad? An oldschool cell phone cab record better video than this! What's the point in 4k if it sucks so badly!

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Any body else disdapointed with inspire 1 video?

No, the video quality on the Inspire 1 is NOT horrible.

Have you tried doing a search here on the forum? Chances are good that it's either a technical glitch with your camera or a transcoding issue. As to the look of the video, 99.99% of that problem is user error. Do you have a video and/or photography background?

Here's what I would try (to begin with):

If you have it on AUTO, which I think you have, try MANUAL.

4000 or 1080 @ 25-30fps should be great for these shots. Choose a setting (ISO) and corresponding shutter speed that suits your application. Fiddle with the histogram until you have an average with the 'mountains' in the histogram just to the left of the right most lower corner. (let super bright white things (lights) be as overexposed as they are supposed to be, don't compensate for those or your whole video will be underexposed). Try to keep the shutter in the 1/30 - 1/15 range. If you need to set the ISO very high, you know you will get a grainy picture. In that case lower the shutter speed so that the graininess is gone entirely (or at acceptable level given the circumstances). You will get some motion blur then, especially while shooting very bright objects (can be cool though). But it comes all down to make the right compromise while shooting. Deal with the rest in postprocessing. Have the software for that.....There are enough threads about that if you need info.

Beautiful spot BTW. Try different settings, shutter speeds, ISOs, and see what happens. Low light filming is a specialty. AUTO setting is normally not the way to go in these conditions.

After that you can start to experiment with LOG settings and use LUTs (processing templates) in postprocessing. Again, search the forum or youtube for info on that. Some great info on the DJI Inspire1 forum as well.

The glitchy stutter looks like a write - hick up. Try reformatting your (I assume you use the original) SD card or try a different high spec card. Maybe the SD card is not OK.

No, the video quality on the Inspire 1 is NOT horrible.

Have you tried doing a search here on the forum? Chances are good that it's either a technical glitch with your camera or a transcoding issue. As to the look of the video, 99.99% of that problem is user error. Do you have a video and/or photography background?

No back ground, allot of audio production, but video is over My head. Even that being said, would it be to much to expect of this camera to not stutter and glitch under any settings?

Thank you for reply!

The glitchy stutter looks like a write - hick up. Try reformatting your (I assume you use the original) SD card or try a different high spec card. Maybe the SD card is not OK.

The original card did it, even after reformatting. I tried another high spec card (brand new) but I never formatted it. Thank you for reply! I'll format and try another 3rd card

Its a low light shoot and I personally would use manual setting for that time and back drop

Is it the DJI supplied SD card used??? I use a better quality card than the one supplied, as I got some stuttering on mine to when I started.. now its all smooth

And even though I have 4k I shoot 1080p and would have long shutter speeds to let more light in to the camera

It take ages to get the correct exposure settings and know its as good as it can be

Its just practise and yet more practise

Its a low light shoot and I personally would use manual setting for that time and back drop

Is it the DJI supplied SD card used??? I use a better quality card than the one supplied, as I got some stuttering on mine to when I started.. now its all smooth

And even though I have 4k I shoot 1080p and would have long shutter speeds to let more light in to the camera

It take ages to get the correct exposure settings and know its as good as it can be

Its just practise and yet more practise

Thank you. What do you mean by back drop?

And do you think the sd card or switch to ten eighty fixed the stutter?

No back ground, allot of audio production, but video is over My head. Even that being said, would it be to much to expect of this camera to not stutter and glitch under any settings?

Thank you for reply!

I'm audio guy also and had same initial thoughts - you need to play with adjustments (IE: eq'ing a mix) until you find what works for you. I've found shooting in 4k, but uploading in 1080 works well. I also have the LOG option on, the ND filter when it's bright out and auto white balance ON - my latest - https://www.skypixel.com/videos/bandimere-park-aerial

Reactions: MikeReal
Thank you. What do you mean by back drop?

And do you think the sd card or switch to ten eighty fixed the stutter?

The background light looks very dark, was it shot at night fall.. the hotel sign was well lit so it must be quite late in the day/evening

Try a video on 1080p first you don't need a high shutter speed for scenic video's.. and see how that goes.. and maybe upgrade the card

Try searching on the site here .. for camera setting

Reactions: MikeReal
Like every tool out there, you have to work within the limitations of the device. Here is a video I shot 100% on the Inspire while up in Portland a while back.

Camera settings are important, and knowing how to work with light is key. I also shoot on real cameras that blow the inspire out of the water(REDs), but I still use the Inspire quite a bit as it can be a valuable tool. I also have the abilities to fly a RED and a GH4, but I find that the simplicity of the Inspire usually trumps the quality difference in the final product.

Here's what I would try (to begin with):

If you have it on AUTO, which I think you have, try MANUAL.

4000 or 1080 @ 25-30fps should be great for these shots. Choose a setting (ISO) and corresponding shutter speed that suits your application. Fiddle with the histogram until you have an average with the 'mountains' in the histogram just to the left of the right most lower corner. (let super bright white things (lights) be as overexposed as they are supposed to be, don't compensate for those or your whole video will be underexposed). Try to keep the shutter in the 1/30 - 1/15 range. If you need to set the ISO very high, you know you will get a grainy picture. In that case lower the shutter speed so that the graininess is gone entirely (or at acceptable level given the circumstances). You will get some motion blur then, especially while shooting very bright objects (can be cool though). But it comes all down to make the right compromise while shooting. Deal with the rest in postprocessing. Have the software for that.....There are enough threads about that if you need info.

Beautiful spot BTW. Try different settings, shutter speeds, ISOs, and see what happens. Low light filming is a specialty. AUTO setting is normally not the way to go in these conditions.

After that you can start to experiment with LOG settings and use LUTs (processing templates) in postprocessing. Again, search the forum or youtube for info on that. Some great info on the DJI Inspire1 forum as well.

Thank you, I hope to figure it out quickly

Like every tool out there, you have to work within the limitations of the device. Here is a video I shot 100% on the Inspire while up in Portland a while back.

Camera settings are important, and knowing how to work with light is key. I also shoot on real cameras that blow the inspire out of the water(REDs), but I still use the Inspire quite a bit as it can be a valuable tool. I also have the abilities to fly a RED and a GH4, but I find that the simplicity of the Inspire usually trumps the quality difference in the final product.

Awesome footage! The speeding up in seconds is very cool! What suggests are you using? When are you coming to Portland again? I've been wanting to shoot that new bridge for a while and haven't yet. Thank you for posting!

Very nice!

so I flew around in 1080 and did not notice any stuttering as bad... I just ordered a better micro sd card since I think that is my problem... mine writes at 45 mbs . I bought one that writes at 90mbs so I will be excited to try it out in 4k!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool