Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Warning: High K-Index

Reaction score
2015 Mar 17 2148 UTC
SWPC Space Weather Alerts Issued in the last 24 hours
Space Weather Message Code
ALTK07 Serial Number: 92 Issue Time: 2015 Mar 17 2034 UTC ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 7 Threshold Reached: 2015 Mar 17 2030 UTC Synoptic Period: 1800-2100 UTC Active Warning: Yes NOAA Scale: G3 - Strong www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 50 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude. Induced Currents - Power system voltage irregularities possible, false alarms may be triggered on some protection devices. Spacecraft - Systems may experience surface charging; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites and orientation problems may occur. Navigation - Intermittent satellite navigation (GPS) problems, including loss-of-lock and increased range error may occur. Radio - HF (high frequency) radio may be intermittent. Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as Pennsylvania to Iowa to Oregon.

So I'm assuming this makes it unsafe to fly? Does it impact everywhere on earth or just certain locations?

Thanks Djeff. This sux my inspire only arrived yesterday haha. Oh well, how long should we wait?

So what is the main problem for us?
Is the GPS side or the radio side?
If it is only the GPS side of things could we fly in Attitude mode without any issues?

Correct, GPS side only. But I'm pretty sure we are out of danger for now. The 9 rating was yesterday, and even so, I don't think anyone had problems. These 9's are pretty rare, so I wouldn't sweat it. An 8-9 rating "could" possibly create drag on sats and cause problems, but again, we should be safe now.

Last edited:
solar activity is very unlikely to affect the radio link between controller and copter unless you somehow converted it to run on shortwave and you're 1000 miles away LOL.

It could impact sats, but even a Carrington level event will not burn up the short wires in your copter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44