Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Was shot at tonight!

Reaction score
While taking some pictures of a friends restaurant some redneck started shooting at my drone. Fortunately he was a bad shot and better still was the fact that the sheriff watching over my shoulder didnt take kindly to gun shots being shot towards the restaurant.
The sheriff issued him a warning, i was 170ft up, camera focused on the restaurant across the street. The owner of the restaurant had spoken w the guy earlier in the week re I was going to be taking some pics this weekend. I never was directly over the guys property, but was high enough up that the guy could hear and see my drone. Hatfields and McCoys I suppose.
Just wondering if anyone else has been shot at or is this just a SC redneck thing?

Not something we are ever likely to experience in the UK.

Gun crime just isn’t a major issue here. I love the way the sheriff ‘didn’t take to kindly’ to the discharge of a firearm in a public place. In the UK you will get locked up for that. I guess that’s why our kids can go to school or college in safety.

I live in a place where most people hunt, not for sport but to put meat on their table. I live on a small farm and keep two guns. Predators abound, and this is not the forum for a gun debate. Changes needs to happen, and it appears like the tide has changed politically against the NRA, which in my opinion held politicians by intimidation rather than cause.
The guy who shot at my drone should have been charged but as Ive said I live in the deep South where rules are slightly different. The direction he was firing into would have sent the bullets out into the swamps, behind the restaurant is nothing but woods, rivers and swamps for at least 25 miles. Im not condoning the idiot just taking into account that aspect.

Come on man.

Experiencing something...

How we get here? WTF

Having already apologised I am surprised to see your response.

I am leaving this thread as I am clearly not going to gain any benefit here.

With all due respect, I don’t buy this… Any GOOD officer would have placed the cuffs on the person with a firearm. He broke the law, AND they do it again if he just got a warning.

It is illegal in South Carolina to:
Discharge a firearm at any building or residence, aircraft, vehicle, or watercraft occupied other persons.
Set a spring trap or spring gun that is designed or capable of remotely discharging a firearm.
Discharge a firearm when intoxicated with any controlled substance or alcohol.
Willfully sell, buy, pawn, trade, receive, transport or otherwise possess a handgun with an altered or damaged serial number.
Knowingly sell, buy, pawn, trade, receive, transport or otherwise possess a stolen handgun.

Persons who are convicted of carrying or using a firearm while committing burglary, murder, attempted murder, assault, arson, robbery, drug trafficking, voluntary manslaughter, kidnapping, or any crime relating to sexual misconduct shall incur an additional 5 year penalty added to the term received for the crime itself.

The state of South Carolina preempts the regulation and creation of legislation pertinent to firearms. No locality, municipality, county or political subdivision may alter or rewrite existing firearms legislation or enact new legislation or ordinances regarding the sale, purchase, possession, transportation, taxation, carrying or use of firearms.

I just googled "shooting at a drone" - drones are aircraft, despite being unmanned, are subject to the same protections as manned aircraft. Shooting at a drone is a federal crime with a maximum sentence of 20 years.
Interestingly when I spoke with my local airport admin. She had no idea, but understood after we talked that knocking an unmanned aircraft out of the sky could be very dangerous, hence the laws protecting drones.
If your drone is shot at or shot down immediately call the police, educate them in your initial call that shooting at a drone is in the same category as shooting at any aircraft, hence a federal offense.

Gun crime just isn’t a major issue here. I love the way the sheriff ‘didn’t take to kindly’ to the discharge of a firearm in a public place. In the UK you will get locked up for that. I guess that’s why our kids can go to school or college in safety.
Will all due respect, go to hell... and keep politics out of this forum!:mad:

I just googled "shooting at a drone" - drones are aircraft, despite being unmanned, are subject to the same protections as manned aircraft. Shooting at a drone is a federal crime with a maximum sentence of 20 years.
Interestingly when I spoke with my local airport admin. She had no idea, but understood after we talked that knocking an unmanned aircraft out of the sky could be very dangerous, hence the laws protecting drones.
If your drone is shot at or shot down immediately call the police, educate them in your initial call that shooting at a drone is in the same category as shooting at any aircraft, hence a federal offense.

"drones are aircraft, despite being unmanned, are subject to the same protections as manned aircraft. Shooting at a drone is a federal crime with a maximum sentence of 20 years. " Well, is a little more complex than that.
The applicable section of the US code is 18 U.S. Code 32-Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities
In my police agency we have committed to requesting a federal investigation and request prosecution by the US Attorney if any dipsh*t damages our $23K UAS.

However, having spent 32 years in LE, I seriously doubt the USA will devote any time away from drugs and gang murders to prosecute a drone shooting. I'm guessing it this happens the USA will defer to local DA to prosecute for criminal damage. Just my two cents, but there's always a first time. :D

Before I request that a moderator close this thread EVERYONE should copy this link to their cell phones, should you be shot at or down show this to the officers who show up unaware of the laws pertaining to drones/aircrafts:
2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C. 32) | USAM | Department of Justice
Personal advice- Cops don't like to be lectured. If anyone damages your drone, it is a crime(every state has criminal damage laws)
1. call the cops and ensure they write a crime report (get the case# before you leave).
2. Later, if you want to make a federal case out of it (pun intended) visit the police station and kindly request a copy of the report be sent to the US Attorney's Office for the jurisdiction. They don't have to but they may. The USA will need an investigation from the FBI (seriously). I was chief of police at a huge Indian reservation in Arizona, worked with the feds regularly. We had a hell of a time getting the USA to accept child sex cases and even murders. Don't expect them to get all hot & bothered about a drone case...
3. You can always send a copy yourself and they will add it to the bottom of the pile. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to paint a reality picture here. If the local criminal damage case goes to trial and the cops did a good investigation, the culprit may get some jail time (doubtful) but the best outcome is the judge can order restitution and the bad guy gets to buy you a new Inspire. ;) Best outcome, I think...A federal prosecution under 18 USC may mean something... to your grandchildren 'cause that's how long it will take ...I'd rather get the idiot to buy me a new drone, now.

Please explain Dunblane to me, MrTVR.

I live in a place where most people hunt, not for sport but to put meat on their table. I live on a small farm and keep two guns. Predators abound, and this is not the forum for a gun debate. Changes needs to happen, and it appears like the tide has changed politically against the NRA, which in my opinion held politicians by intimidation rather than cause.
The guy who shot at my drone should have been charged but as Ive said I live in the deep South where rules are slightly different. The direction he was firing into would have sent the bullets out into the swamps, behind the restaurant is nothing but woods, rivers and swamps for at least 25 miles. Im not condoning the idiot just taking into account that aspect.
He could also have seriously screwed your drone. I wonder what your insurers would have said? BTW are you night flight authorised?

That's a crappy thing to say.
Indeed! Very insensitive! The UK has plenty of it's own things to deal with but unfortunately it's always easier to stick a finger in someone else's eye. I'm surprised the Sheriff didn't arrest the guy though. Most states have ordinances about discharging a firearm within city limits. We in Texas catch a lot of grief from around the world for our conservative stance and our gun laws, but that guy would definitely have gone to jail for doing that here. That wasn't' just firing a weapon within city limits, reckless endangerment and who knows what other laws were broken. This is one of those instances where this guy needs to have a paper trail and be discouraged, kind of like the 49 times nothing was done with the kid in Florida. Glad your drone is ok.

While taking some pictures of a friends restaurant some redneck started shooting at my drone. Fortunately he was a bad shot and better still was the fact that the sheriff watching over my shoulder didnt take kindly to gun shots being shot towards the restaurant.
The sheriff issued him a warning, i was 170ft up, camera focused on the restaurant across the street. The owner of the restaurant had spoken w the guy earlier in the week re I was going to be taking some pics this weekend. I never was directly over the guys property, but was high enough up that the guy could hear and see my drone. Hatfields and McCoys I suppose.
Just wondering if anyone else has been shot at or is this just a SC redneck thing?

Um... how do you know he was a redneck? What is your definition of a redneck? Just curious.

Having already apologised I am surprised to see your response.

I am leaving this thread as I am clearly not going to gain any benefit here.
You said you didn't mean to offend which clearly wasn't the case. Your statement about your kids being able to go to school safely and pretty much your entire thread was meant to offend. This is why people are not accepting your insincere "apology".

Personal advice- Cops don't like to be lectured. If anyone damages your drone, it is a crime(every state has criminal damage laws)
1. call the cops and ensure they write a crime report (get the case# before you leave).
2. Later, if you want to make a federal case out of it (pun intended) visit the police station and kindly request a copy of the report be sent to the US Attorney's Office for the jurisdiction. They don't have to but they may. The USA will need an investigation from the FBI (seriously). I was chief of police at a huge Indian reservation in Arizona, worked with the feds regularly. We had a hell of a time getting the USA to accept child sex cases and even murders. Don't expect them to get all hot & bothered about a drone case...
3. You can always send a copy yourself and they will add it to the bottom of the pile. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to paint a reality picture here. If the local criminal damage case goes to trial and the cops did a good investigation, the culprit may get some jail time (doubtful) but the best outcome is the judge can order restitution and the bad guy gets to buy you a new Inspire. ;) Best outcome, I think...A federal prosecution under 18 USC may mean something... to your grandchildren 'cause that's how long it will take ...I'd rather get the idiot to buy me a new drone, now.
Perfectly said sir...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo