Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Water damaged drone question

Reaction score
Folks,

After sending my I1 to DJI and being told that they would not fix it due to their water damaged drone policy (It landed in fresh water, and was retrieved after a few seconds), I got the drone back and am looking to fix it on my own (or perhaps sell it). I'm looking for some advice so I can troubleshoot what might be wrong, in order to fix it.

While there is absolutely no visible physical damage from the incident, 2 days after, when I turned on the drone, I was getting both video and data on my tablet, and was able to operate the camera with no problem. However, now, 2 months later, (that's how long the round trip to dji repairs was), The camera no longer initializes on startup. I still get data back, and when I try to start the motors I hear an endless "beep-beep" from both front motor ESC's as well as an ESC error on the tablet.

My questions are:
1) What does the beeping mean? Since it's coming from both front ESC's, should I assume that I need to replace those?

2) Is the camera issue connected to the ESC's? or is it a separate issue? I'm not clear on the boot-up sequence. Perhaps if one thing goes wrong, it doesn't move on to the next step.

Any insight would be appreciated.

No insight except that if you decide to part it out I will take some stuff off your hands.

That blows they won't at least give you a price to replace everything electronic on board... Doesn't really surprise me though. I'd buy a crashed one and swap everything over you possibly can.

Do not think you could find one single electronics company, which will repair a water damaged product.
There are too many different types of errors that can occur.

I tell you what bro! I have fixed numerous electronic devices that have had water damage from Iphones to tvs! I stay in Clearwater fl! I can repair it! It's a matter of taking it apart and cleaning up all the components with the right solution!

I tell you what bro! I have fixed numerous electronic devices that have had water damage from Iphones to tvs! I stay in Clearwater fl! I can repair it! It's a matter of taking it apart and cleaning up all the components with the right solution!

Sure, but you can´t get for example Sony, Apple, Samsung or DJI to repair a water damaged product.

That's the thing! Fresh water is less conductive than saltwater! Plus salt water is corrosive to electronic soldier! Fresh water leaves a residue that can be cleaned! I do it all the time! Plus it depends if he took the battery out right away when it was retrieved from the water! I've been able to save tons of my electronics after water damage!

I did take the battery out right away (after I got it out of the water obviously). I threw out the battery since I didn't want to take a chance with Lipo's. I took it home and ran a blow dryer on it in every angle I could think of for about an hour afterwards.

As for selling it for parts, I'd rather sell the whole thing in one piece than sell all the parts separately. I'd just have to figure out what a fair asking price would be.

That's not going to do it! You need to take it apart all the cables and connectors and clean them and buy dielectric grease apply a little bit to them and plug them back in! Water is still in these places and need to be taken apart and cleaned to get that good connection your looking for! Then it will work again! As for the lipo you didn't have to throw it out! Same process if there was no swelling smoke or anything! You would have did the same process with it as with the contacts of the i1! Plus to get the contacts and connectors good and clean and remove water also use the green rubbing alcohol that you find in the drug store and a soft tooth brush I've found that this displaces water and dries fast! And it's safe on electronic boards and circuitry!

I did take the battery out right away (after I got it out of the water obviously). I threw out the battery since I didn't want to take a chance with Lipo's. I took it home and ran a blow dryer on it in every angle I could think of for about an hour afterwards.

As for selling it for parts, I'd rather sell the whole thing in one piece than sell all the parts separately. I'd just have to figure out what a fair asking price would be.
What sort of money would take it off your hands?

I have a Phantom that I use for scaring Geese off of a lake at home to prevent them nesting. (We have a summerhouse by it, and it's not good with hundreds of Geese around). It's a morning ritual for me in the Springtime when they're looking to nest. Up bright and early and scare them away. This normally works really well and is a LOT kinder than a 12 Bore!!! Anyhow, on the fateful morning, one of the Geese decided to attack the Phantom which put it into four foot of water... A friend that runs a fishery was called and arrived with a drysuit about an hour after the event. The quad was recovered, dis-assembled, blown out with an airline and put on a radiator for the day. To my amazement after re-assembly it works just fine, camera included! TBF the battery was screwed but the rest is perfect! Next Spring I may re-instate the 12 Bore ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop