Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What is the path loss formula for a drone-to-ground communication?

Reaction score
Website
2-air.nl
How can I estimate the propagation loss between an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) or drone, and user equipment (UE) on the ground? is it safe to assume a line-of-sight scenario? how about the drone's altitude? is there a specific air-to-ground formula I can use?

How can I estimate the propagation loss between an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) or drone, and user equipment (UE) on the ground? is it safe to assume a line-of-sight scenario? how about the drone's altitude? is there a specific air-to-ground formula I can use?
No.
Although LOS is accepted as normally giving a fairly robust link, there are many variables.
You do not say what environment you mean.
You do not say over what distance.
You do not say what aircraft so we have no way of knowing whether the transmission is lightbridge, ocusync or some other. You simply say UAV/Drone.
You have posted in the General section so no clue there either.
Propagation is unpredictable at best and you would need to factor in a multitude of variables.
Although there are RF calculation models to get an accurate model you would need to know amoungst other things:
Frequency
Modulation
Final Stage Output Power
Gain of Antenna
Attenuation Factors
SWR Factor
EIRP
Tropospheric Propagation conditions
Atmospheric variables
Fresnel Zone calculations
Receiver antenna gain
RX sensitivity

Why do you need to know/estimate the propagation factors to fly your UAV within VLOS?

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc