Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What is your overall thoughts on Picture/video quality?

[Quote = "worldsoutro, post: 8804, medlem: 14393"]? Sammenlignet lager fantom visjon + [/ quote]

Inspire one is amazing

Compared to stock phantom vision +?

I chose the more expensive Inspire 1 over the Phantom Vision+ based on the image quality. The Vision+ appears flat and does not represent color too well. It also struggles a little when in fast motion. You can still make some good movies with it after post-processing, but...

Right out of the SD card the Inspire 1 looks cinematic. On automatic settings it represents color and lighting accurately. I only need to color correct it to a little warmer if I flew on a cloudy day...if I'm motivated. It has more depth and motion doesn't appear to be a problem, especially with the ND filter on it.

Just see some of my videos in the signature (keep in mind YouTube compresses them sapping their quality). All were shot on cloudy days and I did not process them aside from cutting amd transitions between scenes. Did I mention 4K and the 360 degree gimbal? Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The Inspire 1 image quality is substantially better than the Vision+.

But it is not what I had hoped for. I hope that DJI designs a camera replacement with a larger sensor and higher bit rate.

The Inspire 1 image quality is substantially better than the Vision+.

But it is not what I had hoped for. I hope that DJI designs a camera replacement with a larger sensor and higher bit rate.

Then you'd probably have to go the S800/DSLR route for now. While compact cameras are making huge strides, they will be a few steps behind their larger counterparts.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Then you'd probably have to go the S800/DSLR route for now. While compact cameras are making huge strides, they will be a few steps behind their larger counterparts.
I'm with you. While it's better than the Vision2+, it's not as great as I had hoped. That being said, I knew the specs of the camera and knew that it was not a RED Epic, so I'm not sure what I was expecting. It'll do just fine for shooting B-Roll and great sweeping landscapes. Still trying to fine tune custom settings for 4k shooting.

Just got my inspire out of the box, first flight test with camera..... I count at least 3 dead pixels, and some strange herringbone on the images loaded into FCP X. Anyone else seen this? I've not gotten too far into the camera controls but, is there a setting to get rid of dead pixels or do I just have a dog?

Just got my inspire out of the box, first flight test with camera..... I count at least 3 dead pixels, and some strange herringbone on the images loaded into FCP X. Anyone else seen this? I've not gotten too far into the camera controls but, is there a setting to get rid of dead pixels or do I just have a dog?
What are you processing the DNG files with? There is a known issue with Aperture not eliminating the dead/hot/stuck pixels like PS or LR will.

Here are comparisons that I have personal experience with.
  1. compared to vision +
    --> NO COMPARISON... INSPIRE WINS.. vision+ image quality SUCKS!!
  2. compared to Phantom with GoPro 3+ Black shooting in medium FOV(field of view), ProTune
    --> Pretty much equal but realize the Inspire does true 4K and requires NO fisheye reduction (although in medium FOV on the GoPro very little correction if any is required) so a slight nod goes to the inspire! Ease of use goes to the inspire for sure!!
  3. compared to Phantom with GoPro 4 Black shooting in medium FOV(field of view), ProTune -->
    1. 1080 goes to the GoPro simply because you can do 120 FPS(frames per second) which allows for buttery smooth and super slow motion (can slow to 1/4 speed with no image quality loss),
    2. GoPro can also do 60 FPS at 2k.. So I give the GP4 a nod for that.
    3. 4k goes to the inspire because the only options for 4k on the GP requires wide (FOV) which would require tons of fisheye correction and increased possiblity of getting the landing gear in the shot. I also pre
    4. GoPro auto exposure changes are typically not as harsh/noticeable but you have manual control the camera for the inspire.
    ---> For this one overall Ill say its a toss up however if you are not fully aware of frame rates and various camera settings to capture the image/look you are going for and only flying to get some cool images as easy as possible then its the Inspire wins hands down!!

Results of my pre-purchase video quality due diligence:

http://www.inspirepilots.com/index.php?threads/Inspire-Video-Quality.420/

Ok verdict after downloading and watching 16GB worth of original Inspire 4K footage on a Sony 4K XBR65850 65-inch TV via Sony FMP-X10 4k media player:

1) Streaming artifacts are gone obviously (watching direct file)

2) Stutter on high motion shots is predictable and happens every 3-10 seconds. Frequency of full-frame stutter seems proportionate to the amount of motion in the shot. Watchable but slightly uncomfortable for the viewer. Probably not noticeable on mobile devices or computer screens.

3) Low-light performance leaves a lot to be desired. In particular, not an insignificant amount of noise in the form of "static" is added to lower-light or shadow areas of shots. Probably imperceptible to the average viewer on computer screens, probably not noticeable at all on mobile devices, but enough to distract on a 4k TV.

4) I was of the impression the lens was flat (vs the GoPro fisheye lens), but it's not. Panning still produces some perceptible image distortion. Large formats will exaggerate the effect unfortunately and gives the viewer some disorientation as objects distort slightly as they move on screen. I suspect / hope software makers (Adobe and others) will produce Inspire1-specific lens distortion presets to allow for fixing the distortion in post-production so this probably isn't a major issue.

5) No jello or micro vibrations were perceptible in any of the Inspire 4k videos I tested, which is excellent.

Overall impression: The Inspire 1 camera is much improved over GoPro 3 + Phantom combo, but lags far behind the Panasonic LUMIX GH4 which exhibits only barely imperceptible noise on low light and none of the other issues above.

Summary for me: I'll probably be buying one and if DJI offers a camera upgrade I'll be very interested in that. The GH4 is the desired gold standard to try to match IMO. If DJI can come close to its performance in a camera upgrade they'll have a truly amazing platform in the Inspire

The noise you describe is inevitable on the tiny (1/2.3") sensor that the Inspire camera has.

The Micro Four Thirds sensor on the GH4 is much larger, and thus will exhibit much less noise. I am dreaming...

The noise you describe is inevitable on the tiny (1/2.3") sensor that the Inspire camera has.

The Micro Four Thirds sensor on the GH4 is much larger, and thus will exhibit much less noise. I am dreaming...

Dream away, as there is some evidence DJI is building an MFT camera, as the thread you started points out, possibly as an upgrade for the Inspire.

Here for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.inspirepilots.com/index.php?threads/DJI-Joins-the-Micro-Four-Thirds-Consortium.1001/

Last edited:
Well IMHO, I've flown 30/40 times filmed in 4K with different settings and I have to say I'm not impressed compared with the 4 Black, based on other I1 videos I've seen the quality has been better, but what settings in 4K are people using, flying easy, photos hit and miss I can sort that, but 4K film edited with Adobe Elements 13 I have to say grass and trees is poor to say the least.

My experience with this is good to great and getting better. I havent got a Hero4 to compare too, but not having fish eye is a huge plus. When I had a Hero3+ on the phantom, the fisheye removal just warped and made the edges too soft, I imagine it would be similar with the Hero4. I also have an S900 with a GH4 which is simply astonishing, the quality is up there with being as good as I would ever need, everything that has come out of it gives everyone the wow factor.

Now I sold the phantom and a couple of lenses to buy an Inspire, the reason why I wanted the Inspire was because it was so much easier to carry around, had the lightbridge built in, second gimbal control, and ultra compact for what it is capable of, portability is so important for me. The camera I was expecting to be good, although I had seen some footage that was great which really sold me on it. What I have seen online is very varied, although my experience so far is getting better and better, and it really is about understanding the limitations of the sensor and adapting your settings to suit which being able to do on the fly is fantastic. Putting it in manual resolves much better videos than in Auto for me and after grading (I use filmconvert and colorista) I am getting results that are not far off what I have been getting with the GH4 with certain scenes. I do wish the bitrate could be higher, but I cant expect everything, for now what they have done with the inspire is briliant and I am very happy. Just need to stock up on batteries :)

I purchased a new iPad Mini 3 to monitor my inspire 1 and have been experiencing about a one to two second video delay and also some video breakup. Meanwhile my friends iPad seems to be clean. Does anyone know of a fix for the iPad mini 3 or a prep process that I'm not aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try enabling hardware decode within the app's settings. That fixed my lag/pixelated video after the official 1.0 iOS app came out. I'm running an iPad Mini 2

I agree with Damon Cooper's findings. Compared to the Phantom 2 Vision + the Inspire 1 is much better quality in all ways (as it should be) and I believe it is notably better than my Black Hero 3. The improved image quality plus the impressive craft make for a near Prosumer class aerial imaging tool whereas the Phantom 2 Vision + is Consumer quality - great to learn on. As stated by others here, the Inspire 1 can not compete in quality with larger sensors and better lenses found in cameras such as the GH4. To get that higher level of quality including bandwidth requires a larger more expensive rig capable of hauling heavier cameras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth