Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What will happen to the Inspire if the pilot app crashes?

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what the Inspire does if the app crashes on the phone/tablet... thanks for any tips!

In my case app restarts itself,so just wait and you can go on with your flight.Keep a good eye on your batterie energie.Everything from this flight will not appear on your flightrecords.I did notice that it crash almost every time after about 10 min.
So in general nothing happens with your Inspire just wait 'till the app restarts.Never had 2 crashes in 1 flight.Bit it really stinks these crashes.

My Tab S would get hot and lock up all the time. Nothing adverse happened other than me having to try and restart the app. I switched to the iPad mini and haven't experienced very many app freezes.

Hi, just wondering what the Inspire does if the app crashes on the phone/tablet... thanks for any tips!

The app crashed the iPad today and it re-booted, glad I had good visual and it was not too far, started to bring the bird back and finally got the IOS re-started and then the DJI app, brought the bird back home

Reactions: Tom Sanderson
So you still have control over the Inspire when the app crashes correct? Thanks for the insights :)

Yes of course, and video if using an HDMI monitor. It might freeze for a while though, in which case disconnecting the mobile device cable while it sorts itself out helps release things.

So you still have control over the Inspire when the app crashes correct? Thanks for the insights :)
Yeap.Stay calm and wait untill the app is back.I know it's not funny at all when this happens when you're about 1000 mtr away,but everything works.In my case it happens almost everytime after 10 minutes and never with my first battery

Last edited:
This happened to me today whilst doing some practice filming for a music video i am going to be doing the drone work on for a great local band based near me. The first location where we will be filming at their gig on tuesday night went fine (and in fact the film director was well impressed with the test footage and stability of film). The second location scared the hell out of me when this happened as we were testing sending the inspire out at low level parallel to a road (we will have the road temp closed when we shoot for real) and the inpire was beyond LOS around the 500 metre point when the app crashed on my xperia z3 tablet. I climbed the inspire up to about 50 metres until i could see it again and then flew it back manually.

All ended ok but not something i'd want to happen when we do the low level flyby of the band for real next week.

Interesting what you say huppe - as this was the 2nd battery and about 12 minutes into the flight

Best advice is to set up a different monitor via the HDMI exit on the remote. Even if the app crash, you have full image and data, you can even turn the app off...and let her cool until you need it.
Fresh start (first battery and flight) is the only way to avoid crash and spooky time, if you need to be on the limit of VLOS, or even further.
Best advice, stay VLOS, and know the position and aiming of the AC, and expect the crash...always start with subtle lag on the image...

Thanks very much for the informative responses! So if the app crashed or the phone ran out of batteries you could always fly back manually as long as you could see the aircraft... right?

Thanks!

Thanks very much for the informative responses! So if the app crashed or the phone ran out of batteries you could always fly back manually as long as you could see the aircraft... right?

Thanks!
Yes ..but if that happened and i couldn't see the ac i would hit the rth button as long as I tested it first ..

Inspire-1 also works without an smartphone/tablet. The RC has its own GPS sensor and RTH and Landing gear buttons. If your tablet blows up during flight, nothing will happen. The only thing that will stop is camera view (however; if you keep the drone in line of sight, that should not be a problem). Even the flightlogs will be resynched the first time that the drone sees the tablet again. If all else fails, hit the RTH button on the RC (or switch the RC off) and the drone will come home, put its landing gear down and land at your feet: Sweet huh?

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
I noticed that when the app crashes all my flight data is gone and can't find them later.I think I've flown over 420 km,but my app shows 370 km.

Does the DJO Go app only crashes on android ? Does it also crash on IOS ?
If not i think i will buy a Mini iapd 2 or a Air Tbalet.
Which Air tablet is the best in budget price ? AIR 2 ?
Marnix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08