Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

When a homeowner complains that my drone is trespassing into his private property. . .

I agree totally with you but what about if you’re a hobbyist?

And at this point I am not yet Part 107 certified. Next month I’ll be taking my exam and become a certified sUAV pilot.

As a hobbyist I always use a brightly colored landing pad and I have a T-shirt that expressly says I am a drone pilot and if you have any questions please wait until after I have landed.
In most cases they are courteous enough to adhere to my wishes but I have had some people who are dead set against drones and want to push the issue. In those instances I do my best to be courteous and not instigate any further problems.
I have found that if I treat them courteously then I get the same in return. It’s all about being a good ambassador for the future of drones.
Yeah, perfect mate, hobbyist or commercial... respect begets respect. Becoming confrontational or even just argumentative and contradicting someone just makes them dig in more with their "opinion" because we have the truth, right? tic Aloha & safe flying

Reactions: Phil DeVore
It is generally accepted that tree height is the boundary for invasive flying. Yes the FAA controls the airspace but airplanes dont fly in trees, people trim, climb in and grow trees. above Tree height will not allow for the peeping tom paranoia. Problem that you have to deal with is the kind of tree you want to use as tour flying yardstick, A 7' ficus or a 500' redwood.

"It is generally accepted that tree height is the boundary for invasive flying ." Well, with respect, we should stick to facts, not opinions. What's your source?
It is what we were taught at a seminar in September of 2017 at Interdrone in Las Vegas. I have absolutely no idea what the guys name is. I'm just throwing it out there with all the rest of the rantings. Im not a lawyer but just joining the discussion with what I was told. With all due respect...

There is a old ruling from a judge and I think a home owner owns 87 feet above his property ( USA )and below his propety if its on the title. I came across this looking up the new FAA reorganization act .I imagine with a variance you could build higher then that.

There is a old ruling from a judge and I think a home owner owns 87 feet above his property ( USA )and below his propety if its on the title. I came across this looking up the new FAA reorganization act .I imagine with a variance you could build higher then that.

The case back in the 40’s where the military scared a guys sheep or something?

So The land owner owns up to 83' above his property??? So If I live next to a airport i could hoover at 60' above my property without calling the tower for permission?

Last edited:
So The land owner owns up to 83' above his property??? So If I live next to a airport i could hoover at 60' above my property without calling the tower for permission?

Good summary, thank you. Causby is 72 years old and involves airplanes; new challenges involving drones will no doubt make it to SCOTUS eventually. In the meantime common sense tells us; stay out of people's backyards!

Loved the exploding P3!!!

Why would you want to vacuum at 60' above your property - do you have carpets up that high?

Two reasons 1. battery maintenance and testing after an adjustment with out having to pack up and drive 20 Min.. 2 . The biggest fireworks go off 1/8 mile form my house and I could live stream. I also have 3 airports over lapping my property and a power plant. I think if I hover at 87 Feet I could get some good shots.

Two reasons 1. battery maintenance and testing after an adjustment with out having to pack up and drive 20 Min.. 2 . The biggest fireworks go off 1/8 mile form my house and I could live stream. I also have 3 airports over lapping my property and a power plant. I think if I hover at 87 Feet I could get some good shots.
And have spotless carpets, which is always a plus.

As a relatively new drone flyer I've tactfully avoided flying in areas where contention could exist. Though this may be short-lived as I'd like to photograph some aerial shots of the area where I live on the water.
But, as a long time still photographer I have been confronted with 'my right to photograph', as 'street photograpy' one of my preferred venues. To avoid the issue I've resorted to covert photography most of the time, but hard to do with a 20 lb drone and a controller in your hands.

Likely, this problem will get worse rather than better, and the pols and regulators will lean towards the complainers; guns, smokers, vapes, DRONES, regardless of the impact on the perpatrators of these horrible afflictions. LOL

You and we all paid for our license and they own their property but they don't own the air space and they can't do anything about it. I could see if you were using your drone and trying to look in their windows but these are a bunch of cry babies and they have no life and just are not happy with their lives and have nothing to do but complain about everything you do. I deal with these types of people and no matter what you say or do they are going to complain .you can't be nice to them and you have to put them in their place and they will most likely leave you alone.
Actually, if you are flying professionally, you can be nice to them, and it can cost you if you arent. Its not just about who is right, and who is wrong. All it takes is one resident complaining to another and 2 calls to the client that hired me, or the BBB, and it has cost me. I teach my pilots to never enter into an argumentative situation, to politely apologize, explain that they were under the impression based on what they were taught, that they were complying legally, and tell the property owner that they will "take down their contact information, and have their manager get back to them right away"...and then ask, "do you mind if I finish quickly what we we hired to do, so I can at least get paid?" Even if it's me, the owner....that deflects the issue to a third party, keeps the pilot nuetral, and usually calms down the other person....if it doesnt, I tell themvto land it safely, politely, and then call me.
Most of us have have lerned over the years. If you push those situations, they often lead to the police showing up, and they very seldom understand the laws correctly, and more often rule against you if you argue with them, and getting your eqipment confiscated, or fighting a ticket costs more in the long run than basic deplomacy...just folliw good business ethics, this is new stuff to everybody but us...

Reactions: licensed pilot
All interesting insights & information. The height of property isn't clear and hasn't really been challenged in court "pertaining to RC or Drone" to have any legal precedence, and that leaves it up to interpretation per locality by the Local Police or Enforcement (LEO). If polite conversation doesn't conclude with LEO in a friendly agreement, I'd pack it up and apply a different tactic with authorities later and not push the LEO's street justice that you're certainly going to loose. The type of pilot, being a PT107 or Hobby technically doesn't apply on the trespassing or altitude above private property, in these matters they are the same. Actually in situations of legality, the PT107 would have additional rules or procedures to follow and the Hobbyist has more relaxed requirements... under current, but that may change under the new standards being introduced beginning with Feb 2019 going forward. Example; night flying for capturing July 4th Fireworks, the PT107 requires a night waiver, the Hobbyist needs to simply contact local tower to "request & inform" evening flight... and I believe meet the night visibility strobe light rules.

The height above property that I have concluded generally accepted by "informal" conversations with local law enforcement that deal with the complaints is 25-50 feet above the highest point of asset property, not a 120' HAM Radio tower or 100 year old 150' tree. If acreage or farmstead, it applies to the farm property, not whole farm including the pasture or farm ground.

Like indicated above, at minimum I have a bright neon shirt with my logo on Ft & Back, I make all attempt to be very courteous, provide a business card if nothing else to provide my name and contact. Also on the back of my card, I've printed a condensed set of statements basically indicating FFA, damage to Aircraft, and Personal Property. I'm receptive to requests not to fly over their property if they feel uncomfortable in their back yard. I often take a few quick stills of the landscape when starting the flight, just so I can show how small people or faces look in the photo. I don't directly offer to show my videos or flight logs... don't provide evidence if you don't know how it may be used & challenged. If I need to fly over their property, I ask if there would be a better time to get the neighboring image... suggesting after they move in from the back patio. On the few times local law enforcement has arrived, I'm friendly and willing to show the video stills and flight logs if requested. Actually, maybe it's the mid-west but I haven't encountered police resistance, they recognize I'm not being challenging and normally agree if I keep it above 25-50' above roofline there isn't any trespassing or peeping tom concerns and will often relay that to the neighbor that made the complaint. They'll often ask questions of interest, which I encourage so the neighbors feel or view I'm comfortable with the police.

My 2 cents opinion, if you're courteous and receptive to conversation, offer information about yourself, and offer a little view into what you're capturing it goes a long way to calm the situation. If during that conversation, you perceive it's still a challenge... I'll often suggest they take a minute to look at my contact information and note the back of the card, and if needed call the police. The few I've taken to that degree, basically "give me the look" and walk away with the attitude that they held their ground but they're not going to challenge me since I'm not encouraging.

As an example, the back of my Contact Card...
Intended to be informative...

sUAV Card bk.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide