Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Where can i download some 5K RAW DNG video files to test how my mac handle them ?

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I would like to know if there is a place where i could download some 5K RAW DNG video files
to try them on my Mac using final cut pro
Any suggestion ?

Hi Guys
I would like to know if there is a place where i could download some 5K RAW DNG video files
Any suggestion ?

Have you tested 4K RAW first?

Funny story...

When 4K drone video first came out (H.264 compressed), I was shoot Graves (starring Nick Nolte). The DP wanted to view the footage. He stuck the MicroSD card in his Mac and the footage was super jerky. In a word, the Mac was choking. He got mad, looked at me and said, "What's wrong with your footage? I can't use this!" I responded, "It's your Mac." I went into my car, got my HP Envy i7 with NVidia GPU and the footage played smooth as silk.

Moral of the story; Make sure you have a computer capable of playing the footage you shoot. Be completely self-contained.

You are smart for testing your Mac, but I would test it with 4K RAW footage first, which I assume you can simply shoot via your Inspire 2.

D

Hi Donnie and thanks for your answer !
That's exactly why i'm asking...to make sure i have a computer capable of playing that kind of footage.
I've try many pc and mac computers and like you've mention,most of them were unable to handle basic 4k H.264 30fps without being choppy,laggy.
My current Mac can handle few video layers at 4k H.264 ( 60 fps) but that's the highest resolution i can film at the moment.
One of my two Inspire 2 have the Prores and DNG licence but i've never use it so far cause i don't have a CineSSD and a CineSSD station.
So,i would like to know if my Mac can handle 5k RAW video before investing over 1000$ and realize that it's almost "useless"
because of the poor performance of my Mac...

Hi Donnie and thanks for your answer !
That's exactly why i'm asking...to make sure i have a computer capable of playing that kind of footage.
I've try many pc and mac computers and like you've mention,most of them were unable to handle basic 4k H.264 30fps without being choppy,laggy.
My current Mac can handle few video layers at 4k H.264 ( 60 fps) but that's the highest resolution i can film at the moment.
One of my two Inspire 2 have the Prores and DNG licence but i've never use it so far cause i don't have a CineSSD and a CineSSD station.
So,i would like to know if my Mac can handle 5k RAW video before investing over 1000$ and realize that it's almost "useless"
because of the poor performance of my Mac...

Ahhh....gotcha. Sounds like you're doing it right.

As I'm sure you're aware, 5K RAW video files are going to be massive. Even short snippets of a minute or less are going to be many gigabytes. So I doubt you will just "find" 5K RAW footage somewhere out on the cloud. I'm sure you're aware video sites like YouTube and Vimeo don't serve up RAW footage.

Where you MIGHT have better luck is simply asking one of the community members if they wouldn't mind uploading a very short, 30-second 5K RAW snippet to their cloud server. That's how I would approach it anyway. I would either retitle this thread or start a new one along those avenues.

D

Hello,

I would love to know more about your Mac. Davinci Resolve has a free version and comes with the 3 tests you need to measure CPU, GPU, and Hard Drive speeds and it relates directly to the Video your equipment is capable of. As far as Mac VS PC. That is always a personal preference. The best news is Divinci runs on all 3 platforms (MAC, Windows, and Linux). Post us a list of numbers and Hardware. I will post mine later. I use a MacBook Air and Mac Pro Workstation.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hi Donnie
I would only need 15 to 30 seconds clip,if for some reason i need more,i would just "copy and paste" it.
I really just wanna have a idea of how my Mac will react before making the jump to higher resolution.
I'll wait a little,maybe somebody will read this thread and offer me something...
If not,I'll retitle this thread like you've suggest.

And to answer you question Jimmy,i just order a new imac 2019 top of the line with 64bg of ram ( i9 processor and 580x GPU )
I did my first test with the imac 2019 base model 40gb of ram and 570x GPU,like i've mentioned earlier,i was able to have
few video layers of H.264,4k 60 fps without any problem with that base model so no doubt that the i9 imac is gonna be better
but like Donnie mention,5k RAW files are quite big so i would like to test it before investing another grand ...

Reactions: Mr.Burns.666
Hi Donnie
I would only need 15 to 30 seconds clip,if for some reason i need more,i would just "copy and paste" it.
I really just wanna have a idea of how my Mac will react before making the jump to higher resolution.
I'll wait a little,maybe somebody will read this thread and offer me something...

And to answer you question Jimmy,i just order a new imac 2019 top of the line with 64bg of ram ( i9 processor and 580x GPU )
I did my first test with the imac 2019 base model 40gb of ram and 570x GPU,like i've mentioned earlier,i was able to have
few video layers of H.264,4k 60 fps without any problem with that base model so no doubt that the i9 imac is gonna be better
but like Donnie mention,5k RAW files are quite big so i would like to test it before investing another grand ...
So what did Davinci say ... my Air hits 1315 MB/s. Good all the way up to 2160p @ 25 FPS.
Black magic Raw speed test only goes to 4K 23 FPS CPU and 4K 28 FPS GPU. I will post Mac Pro tomorrow.

Hi Donnie

264 and 265 are highly compressed also. Not RAW. I have RAW footage that equates to 30 GB RAW, 3 GB 264 codec and 1.2 265. Nothing whatsoever compares to smooth that I have witnessed like APPLE’s very own PRO RES on a Genuine APPLE computer. If I’m ever making money at this now hobby... that’s where I would spend my money. Inspire 2 capturing PRO RES. For now if I’m doing extensive editing I convert up and render out final to whatever the customer wants. Seeing is believing. Try converting up to PRO RES on a trial version of Final Cut. But ... again ... these discussions can go on forever. Benchmarks can help with the very most critical questions to help decide where to spend the money.

Hello,

I would love to know more about your Mac. Davinci Resolve has a free version and comes with the 3 tests you need to measure CPU, GPU, and Hard Drive speeds and it relates directly to the Video your equipment is capable of. As far as Mac VS PC. That is always a personal preference. The best news is Divinci runs on all 3 platforms (MAC, Windows, and Linux). Post us a list of numbers and Hardware. I will post mine later. I use a MacBook Air and Mac Pro Workstation.
I've download Davinci Resolve but i don't see any of the tests you've mentioned...
Could you "take me by the hand" and let me know how to do those test ?
I did one of is call Black magic RAW Speed Test...i don't know if this is what you were talking about.
I don't know how to interpret the result so i've include a screenshot.

Attachments

• Davinci Resolve Benchmark test.png
    Davinci Resolve Benchmark test.png
    915.9 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Jimmypainter
Hi Guys
Any suggestion ?
I can confirm that no average computer/software combination will play DNG footage smoothly. Perhaps very beefy multi-processor MacPro stations may play short clips, but most likely without any real-time editing on top. For this reason you'll have to deal with proxy files. That said, Davinci Resolve is offering amazingly well optimized playback engine, capable of handling huge bandwidth much better than - say - Adobe PP. Another advantage of Resolve is very simplified procedure for creating proxies. All for free ...

I've download Davinci Resolve but i don't see any of the tests you've mentioned...
Could you "take me by the hand" and let me know how to do those test ?
I did one of is call Black magic RAW Speed Test...i don't know if this is what you were talking about.
I don't know how to interpret the result so i've include a screenshot.

This is the test for CPU and GPU Graphics card. You are setting really nice. Your CPU/Processor is the slower of the two. It is still crazy powerful. With the 3/1 being the larger more troublesome ratio's and there being two different 8k formats (3456 is the lines of resolution "Wide' format and 4320 being more like Television format with no black at top and bottom), This system of reference only struggles a tiny bit with the little red x's you see under CPU. Trust me 8K at 46 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. The i9 is the top of the line processor in the standard iMac. It pulls about 30,000 or better on Geekbench 4. Moving up to a iMac pro is the next step but then you have to look at which model. Try this site and compare the processor speeds to see where you want to be. The Hard drive test may be another download from BlackMagic. Let me check and also post some screenshot/benchmarks from my Mac Pro.
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 2.52.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 2.52.18 PM.png

This is the test for CPU and GPU Graphics card. You are setting really nice. Your CPU/Processor is the slower of the two. It is still crazy powerful. With the 3/1 being the larger more troublesome ratio's and there being two different 8k formats (3456 is the lines of resolution "Wide' format and 4320 being more like Television format with no black at top and bottom), This system of reference only struggles a tiny bit with the little red x's you see under CPU. Trust me 8K at 46 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. The i9 is the top of the line processor in the standard iMac. It pulls about 30,000 or better on Geekbench 4. Moving up to a iMac pro is the next step but then you have to look at which model. Try this site and compare the processor speeds to see where you want to be. The Hard drive test may be another download from BlackMagic. Let me check and also post some screenshot/benchmarks from my Mac Pro.
View attachment 28190

View attachment 28190
The flash drive is crazy fast...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.59.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.59.43 PM.png
    957.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Wow
Reactions: Jimmypainter
View attachment 28190

View attachment 28190

Yes ... The Black Magic Harddrive speed test is separate from Devinci Resolve. It is an App downloadable from the Apple App Store. For other platforms like windows look it up on google or use SiSoft Sandra Sanda for Windows. Here are my Mac Pro 5,1 results leaving me envious of you but still very very pleased for what I do and the money I have invested (@ $600). I shoot, edit, and post only in 4k, not 5, 6, or 8k. I configured the benchmark for that and posted another screenshot for 4k. Now my numbers look better so it really comes down to what we NEED ... Right??? Bragging rights are one thing but our wallets/budgets remind us of our needs. My old 2010 Xeons are holding me back if I ever need to step up and I most likely will move to an i9 16" Macbook Pro with an EGPU when I get home or back to the office and need to do real editing. If the Customer needs and is paying for more ... a used iMac Pro for home. I really enjoy talking about these things so let me know if you need any more help. Lot's of other great resources on here but always test out anything you read before spending money.Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.19.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.17.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.27.00 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.27.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.27.00 PM.png
    363.8 KB · Views: 3
Yes ... The Black Magic Harddrive speed test is separate from Devinci Resolve. It is an App downloadable from the Apple App Store. For other platforms like windows look it up on google or use SiSoft Sandra Sanda for Windows. Here are my Mac Pro 5,1 results leaving me envious of you but still very very pleased for what I do and the money I have invested (@ $600). I shoot, edit, and post only in 4k, not 5, 6, or 8k. I configured the benchmark for that and posted another screenshot for 4k. Now my numbers look better so it really comes down to what we NEED ... Right??? Bragging rights are one thing but our wallets/budgets remind us of our needs. My old 2010 Xeons are holding me back if I ever need to step up and I most likely will move to an i9 16" Macbook Pro with an EGPU when I get home or back to the office and need to do real editing. If the Customer needs and is paying for more ... a used iMac Pro for home. I really enjoy talking about these things so let me know if you need any more help. Lot's of other great resources on here but always test out anything you read before spending money.View attachment 28191View attachment 28192View attachment 28194
I also only did 4k H.264 / H.265 so far...
I was thinking about getting the CINESSD since i already have the licence on one of my Inspire 2
And was curious to test some RAW files but i know that new imac won't have any problems with my
usual 4k H.264 / H.265...probably even overkill if i use proxy like it already been mention...
Thanks for your help Jimmy !
Now i've to choose between Davinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro X
I don't know any of them so i'm starting from "square one" on both...

Yes ... The Black Magic Harddrive speed test is separate from Devinci Resolve. It is an App downloadable from the Apple App Store. For other platforms like windows look it up on google or use SiSoft Sandra Sanda for Windows. Here are my Mac Pro 5,1 results leaving me envious of you but still very very pleased for what I do and the money I have invested (@ $600). I shoot, edit, and post only in 4k, not 5, 6, or 8k. I configured the benchmark for that and posted another screenshot for 4k. Now my numbers look better so it really comes down to what we NEED ... Right??? Bragging rights are one thing but our wallets/budgets remind us of our needs. My old 2010 Xeons are holding me back if I ever need to step up and I most likely will move to an i9 16" Macbook Pro with an EGPU when I get home or back to the office and need to do real editing. If the Customer needs and is paying for more ... a used iMac Pro for home. I really enjoy talking about these things so let me know if you need any more help. Lot's of other great resources on here but always test out anything you read before spending money.View attachment 28191View attachment 28192View attachment 28194

One more thing to consider ... Most Videos people watch are 24 FPS for Movies or 30 for Internet/TV. So 75 FPS rendering capability means a 24 FPS output renders a 90 min feature in 20 minutes. An eternity it seems but a 30 sec TV Comercial is ready in about 12 so trust me ... it's far better than the old days of 30 sec = 15 min. If you are doing 1080p check this out ...

Giant Shout Out to the wonderful guys at Black Magic. If I had it I would spend an insane amount of money with these guys (Cameras, Film Scanners, Monitors, Color Correction/Editing Decks, you name it.) Check them out ...

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 3.58.49 PM.png

I also only did 4k H.264 / H.265 so far...
I was thinking about getting the CINESSD since i already have the licence on one of my Inspire 2
And was curious to test some RAW files but i know that new imac won't have any problems with my
usual 4k H.264 / H.265...probably even overkill if i use proxy like it already been mention...
Thanks for your help Jimmy !
Now i've to choose between Davinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro X
I don't know any of them so i'm starting from "square one" on both...
There's nothing to loose with Davinci Resolve since even free version will give you more than you'll ever need for post production ...

It's a huge leap forward with CineDNG footage. Colour grading options and image corrections are practically endless, image quality stunning ... Naturally the workflow is a tad more complex, but if you're after quality there's nothing better out there.

That said, I have extra Cinecore SSD card and Thunderbolt 3 card reader for sale. I may try to download some 4K DNG file to a Dropbox, if you're still interested in testing. Let me know ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips