Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Where to fly in Vancouver

Shoot me a message if you want to know some food locations and where you shouldn't fly. There a few spots that have become a problem recently because of seaplane air traffic. I am a commercial operator out of Vancouver so I can give you some good info if you need. Could also meet up and go for a flight. We fly an I1pro, I1, and P4

I think that's always my concern locally. Even flying legally, there's often low flying aircraft that need to be considered. A couple of weeks ago I was waiting to take off as I could hear an engine nearby that sounded like an ultralight. Thankfully my wife pointed out it was a neighboring lawn mower.

Hammer_155, have you ever flown off Spanish Banks (and no, not anywhere near Wreck Beach!), Lighthouse Park or Bowen Island? Those are some areas that I've been considering purely for recreational flying. I fly mostly at our farm in Langley but we live in Steveston which is too close to YVR.

I think that's always my concern locally. Even flying legally, there's often low flying aircraft that need to be considered. A couple of weeks ago I was waiting to take off as I could hear an engine nearby that sounded like an ultralight. Thankfully my wife pointed out it was a neighboring lawn mower.

Hammer_155, have you ever flown off Spanish Banks (and no, not anywhere near Wreck Beach!), Lighthouse Park or Bowen Island? Those are some areas that I've been considering purely for recreational flying. I fly mostly at our farm in Langley but we live in Steveston which is too close to YVR.
Hey, ya I have flown at both. I have done some cliff jumping shots at juniper point at lighthouse park and a few times at Spanish banks usually on a weekday or evening otherwise it's so busy and I do t want to be the drone that's annoying everyone. Never at Bowen though. Just flew yesterday evening with my phantom at eagle bluff at cypress. Great spot, amazing views

Yeah. I plan to try some of those spots in the fall/winter when there's fewer people around. Usually we take our dog to Spanish Banks to run free (off leash area), so hoping to get some good action shots of him. I was thinking the inspire might just about have the range to make it from Spanish Banks to Lighthouse Park but certainly not willing to try that yet!

Yeah. I plan to try some of those spots in the fall/winter when there's fewer people around. Usually we take our dog to Spanish Banks to run free (off leash area), so hoping to get some good action shots of him. I was thinking the inspire might just about have the range to make it from Spanish Banks to Lighthouse Park but certainly not willing to try that yet!
Ya you'll probably see us there some time too with our crazy vizsla Alfie. I would strongly reccomend not fly out to lighthouse from Spanish banks. Keep in mind that its airspace controlled by harbour tower and there is a ton of seaplane and heli traffic. Someone was recently fined here by transport Canada for a really long flight from north van to coal Juniper point is a great place to fly from at lighthouse park. Always rock climbers and cliff jumpers there.

Yeah, it's deceptively long distance and the planes do go low there, especially if they're flying under the fog. I work by Stanley Park and as nice as it would be to fly at lunchtime, it would be daft to try and fly there, sometimes the aircraft are only just above the trees.
I find this is a good reference as well:
Canadian Airspace Viewer

I'll keep an eye out for your vizsla at Spanish Banks, ours is a Boxer called Jax (usually he just runs off after the seagulls for an hour or two.

Is any one able to tell me where the locations shown at 2:29 and 2:38 are located? I want to fly here early tomorrow morning.
@Hammer_155
@videosophy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope I am not too late.
2:29 was on a really long dirt road (1-2 hours drive from the beginning) to Gold Bridge in the Lillooet Area if I remember correctly.
2:38 was along the same road. I don´t have the exact locations in my head right now tho.

Hope I am not too late.
2:29 was on a really long dirt road (1-2 hours drive from the beginning) to Gold Bridge in the Lillooet Area if I remember correctly.
2:38 was along the same road. I don´t have the exact locations in my head right now tho.

Just in time [emoji12]
Unfortunately I lost a whole day due to rain/drizzle/fog. Also it looks like this will be too far given I only have half a day on Saturday prior to heading back down to Washington state.
I do appreciate the information. I'll have to plan a return trip soon

Just in time [emoji12]
Unfortunately I lost a whole day due to rain/drizzle/fog. Also it looks like this will be too far given I only have half a day on Saturday prior to heading back down to Washington state.
I do appreciate the information. I'll have to plan a return trip soon

Haha Hawaii has a big time difference to the rest of the world so I wasn't sure :)
Yeah the weather really can mess it up. I was lucky and usually had not much wind, but mostly cloudy so no cool lighting with sun in it.
I am pretty sure if you just drive around a little bit and with a bit of luck on the weather side you can definitely find some good spots easily.
That trip to gold bridge was pretty sketchy with a very long RV so unless you got a Jeep don't do it :)
Hope to come back to Canada at some point again :)

To make a guess, it looks like it's near Herrling Island and some of the small sandbar islands in the Fraser River, just south of Hope.
Ya I was gonna say up in the pemberton lillooet region. Bit of a hike from Van. Hopefully you managed to squeeze in a flight. We were rained out at the trade show on Friday but got a lot of flying in on saturday

Well only had a few hours Saturday morning, but was able to fly at sunset beach and capture a sunrise from lighthouse park. Was a little creepy in that park with no one around and no cell phone signal [emoji15]

Saturday was a surprisingly nice day for it. How was it flying at Sunset Beach? A little to close to CYHC with the low aircraft for my own comfort but probably low risk if not flying too high.

I flew in morning. Nothing around. It's on the south end of Vancouver. All the seaplanes I saw were on north end around Stanley park and the lions gate bridge. Per others on this thread, this area was a no-no, so I avoided

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop