Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which iPad

Reaction score
So I’m almost embarrassed to post this question, but it’s been a bit of a pain in the *** decision maker for me. I find that the members in this forum are generally good about posting. And so I’m not worried about any flaming over such a question.
iPad pros are not inexpensive. I currently have a 12.9 inch third generation iPad Pro. I use it on my cendence controller. I am able to tighten the tablet mount pivot to hold the iPad in place. I am, however, a little worried about the amount of pressure that’s being put on that pivot spot. The 12.9 inch gen 3 is 1.39 pounds and the 11 inch is 1.04 pounds . That’s quite a bit of a difference not to mention leverage.
So I’m writing to see if anyone has experience with an 11 inch iPad Pro on a controller. If you have, I’m wondering if you could answer two questions. First, did it ever occur to you that the weight may damage your controller? Second, do you find the viewable screen size to be good or do you sometimes think that a 12.9 inch would be nicer to use?

So I’m almost embarrassed to post this question, but it’s been a bit of a pain in the *** decision maker for me. I find that the members in this forum are generally good about posting. And so I’m not worried about any flaming over such a question.
iPad pros are not inexpensive. I currently have a 12.9 inch third generation iPad Pro. I use it on my cendence controller. I am able to tighten the tablet mount pivot to hold the iPad in place. I am, however, a little worried about the amount of pressure that’s being put on that pivot spot. The 12.9 inch gen 3 is 1.39 pounds and the 11 inch is 1.04 pounds . That’s quite a bit of a difference not to mention leverage.
So I’m writing to see if anyone has experience with an 11 inch iPad Pro on a controller. If you have, I’m wondering if you could answer two questions. First, did it ever occur to you that the weight may damage your controller? Second, do you find the viewable screen size to be good or do you sometimes think that a 12.9 inch would be nicer to use?
Depending on the job and the rig, I use the 12.9"or the 9.7". If I'm in a static situation where I'm able to mount the iPad on a stand, I use the 12.9". If I need the iPad to be with me while I walk (mounted to the RC), I use the 9.7". My eyesight is not the best. I use 1.5 readers for small fonts, but can generally use my 9.7" iPad without them. I'll put cheaters on if I need to access advanced menu options. Otherwise, I don't need the cheaters.

Worth noting, my 9.7" iPads are the Air 1 and the Air Pro. Both are legacy machines that still work fantastic with any DJI software, but struggle with third-party waypoint software. I still use the Air Pro for waypoint missions, but I have to be careful to keep in cool and in the shade. Not a problem in the winter, but definitely a problem in the summer. The Air 1 won't run third-party waypoint apps, but handles DJI apps without a hitch. Both are running legacy iOS and legacy versions of DJI's software, which connect to legacy firmware versions installed on my legacy drones.

D

Interesting about the air 1 because what got all of this started for me is that I had an air 2 which would not run Drone Deploy. Drone Deploy happens to work out really well for me for some of my work so I would prefer to continue to use the app. That’s why I bought the 12.9 inch pro GEN 3. 85% of the time I’m on a Cendance Controller, which has a pretty similar build quality to my Inspire and the phantom controllers. I just get nervous seeing the plastic flex because of the weight of this big bastid. I only use the iPad when I’m using third-party apps. The crystalsky is rocksolid for my DJI apps. On rare occasion. I like to fly with Litchi. It just does not do well with any dual camera config. Are you using the 12.9 with your M300? I agree that when the controller is on a stand that there is not a lot to worry about. It’s the odd time when I have it on my lanyard or harness, that I end up with the iPad just flopping away from me. Have you tried an 11 inch pro? Because if somebody like yourself says to me that the flop factor or leveraging on the controller plastic isn’t any better with an 11 inch, then for sure I stay with the 12.9.

EFE8CA46-F529-4178-961D-90FABB24D43F.jpeg

Could use a more sturdy stand but this one is super easy to fold the legs in and move a short distance or use as a mono pole. The iPad rarely flops down on me when it’s on the stand, but it does from time to time, and I dare not tighten the pivot any more. So the question is if the 11 inch will behave exactly the same way.

Interesting about the air 1 because what got all of this started for me is that I had an air 2 which would not run Drone Deploy.
Yep...my Air 1 doesn't have much horsepower. Sounds like your Air 2 has the same problem.

<some stuff deleted>

Are you using the 12.9 with your M300?
No. I'm using UgCS with the M300. UgCS iPad version doesn't support the M300. So I'm using a laptop with an external AbraxySys 1200 nit monitor.

This photo was taken using my old Dell monitor. It has since been replaced with the AbraxSys monitor.
1673405689966.jpeg

I agree that when the controller is on a stand that there is not a lot to worry about. It’s the odd time when I have it on my lanyard or harness, that I end up with the iPad just flopping away from me. Have you tried an 11 inch pro?
No. I have two 12.9" iPads and two 9.7" iPads. The 9.7" iPads are the largest that fit into the Inspire 1 RC cradle and the Phantom 4 Pro RC cradle.

Because if somebody like yourself says to me that the flop factor or leveraging on the controller plastic isn’t any better with an 11 inch, then for sure I stay with the 12.9.

View attachment 33395
I have no experience with the 11". The 9.7" iPads feel good and sturdy in the Inspire 1 and P4P controllers.

Could use a more sturdy stand but this one is super easy to fold the legs in and move a short distance or use as a mono pole. The iPad rarely flops down on me when it’s on the stand, but it does from time to time, and I dare not tighten the pivot any more. So the question is if the 11 inch will behave exactly the same way.
Sorry. I have no experience with the 11". I can't help you there.

D

I had a 12.9" and loved using it for everything BUT flying. It was just too big to mount though I did use it a few times just sitting next to the controller. That worked fine. I ended up selling it and buying the 11" Pro and really like the size difference. I just bought a new Mini and the jury is till out on that one. I do like how it sits on the controller without an extension and it feels more balanced but I miss the screen real estate!

I ended up going with an M1 11 inch pro. I don’t believe for a second that we need something as strong as the M1 but it is a little more future approved. I also like the balance when it’s mounted much better just like you say.

I also think that Donnie is right that when necessary or beneficial that a nice large screen mounted somewhere is a great idea.

I had a 12.9" and loved using it for everything BUT flying. It was just too big to mount though I did use it a few times just sitting next to the controller. That worked fine. I ended up selling it and buying the 11" Pro and really like the size difference. I just bought a new Mini and the jury is till out on that one. I do like how it sits on the controller without an extension and it feels more balanced but I miss the screen real estate!
I basically use 2 iPad sizes; 12.9" and 9.7". The former is for larger (read: longer) jobs where the iPad is going to be mounted somewhere and the RC will be mounted in a cradle. The latter is for shorter jobs where I will be walking around.

Here's a shot of my most recent job site.
1677350073346.jpeg

1677350206434.jpeg

Nice, big, phat iPad mounted to my hatchback window. No readers needed....<;^)

D

Very nice. I am glad you mentioned the 9.7" pro as well. That model and even the 10.5" versions still rock the apps. I imagine you out there operating the sticks like the bikers that use the ape bars. Did you just slide the mount up for the antenna reception?

Very nice. I am glad you mentioned the 9.7" pro as well. That model and even the 10.5" versions still rock the apps.
Yes. But to be clear, the 9.7" is the largest that will fit in the RC's cradle. That said, the 9.7" iPad has a rather thick bezel. So if Apple reduced the bezel to increase the visible screen, the 10.5" may actually have the same physical dimensions as the 9.7", which would allow it to fit in the RC's cradle. But I don't own a 10.5" iPad, so I don't know.

I imagine you out there operating the sticks like the bikers that use the ape bars.
Hehe...funny analogy. I just happen to have...

1677392018892.png

The photo is 20+ years old, but I still have the bike. And she still looks exactly like this.

Did you just slide the mount up for the antenna reception?
Yessir. The purpose of the stand is twofold.

1) To physically hold the remote control so I don't have to (for jobs that last hours and hours).
2) To allow better reception by raising the mast. And, yes, this works extremely well.

D

I personally use a 3rd Gen iPad Pro 12.9” and it works great! It’s super bright and works well outside without a hood and the app works without any problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi