Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which lens?

Reaction score
Hi there,

If I were to go for a good quality medium zoom lens (up to 42mm) what would you folk advise me?

Regards,

I tried both the Panasonic 14-42 and the Olympus 14-42 and found both lousy.
Neither was a smooth zoom and camera would often not 'see' the lens. Would have to land, remount lens and reboot.

Reactions: iFly
I tried both the Panasonic 14-42 and the Olympus 14-42 and found both lousy.
Neither was a smooth zoom and camera would often not 'see' the lens. Would have to land, remount lens and reboot.
Yeah, I am afraid it turns out that way.
And since I intend to use it for filming, picture quality has to be quite good.
What is your opinion on the optical quality?

Regards,

Not great. Lack of detail and camera had a hard time focusing, even on manual focus.
Got rid of both of them.
Shame, the Z3 was a decent zoom when I had the Inspire 1.
Wish DJI would make a Z3S.......

I have an Olympus 14-42 for Inspire2 but I can't seem to get the thing to focus I tap the Ipad screen so many times that I am sure I heard it cry out, they are a lousy combination, but tell me who has had success with this lens? I need the help too!

I have an Olympus 14-42 for Inspire2 but I can't seem to get the thing to focus I tap the Ipad screen so many times that I am sure I heard it cry out, they are a lousy combination, but tell me who has had success with this lens? I need the help too!
Sorry you guys are having trouble but for me this lens is turning out to be my favorite. You can change the zoom in the air which is amazing and it's as sharp as anything I've seen for this format, and the little balance rings on the front of the lens are so easy to put on.

I also have the Olympus 9-14 which is also amazing but you have to land it to change zoom. I'm not sure why it's important for people to have fast lenses on drones as most shooting is during the day which means that light isn't the issue and it's rare to want to worry about depth of field in any shot I've seen from a drone. Mostly you want to find the sweet spot of the lens resolution which is typically a few stops down from wide open. I sometimes wonder about drone pilots trying to learn cinematography which is a pretty long learning road. There's so much misinformation on these forums, it would probably be worth learning the basics and then applying these to these amazing cameras that are now on the Inspire 2's.

Sorry you guys are having trouble but for me this lens is turning out to be my favorite. You can change the zoom in the air which is amazing and it's as sharp as anything I've seen for this format, and the little balance rings on the front of the lens are so easy to put on.

I also have the Olympus 9-14 which is also amazing but you have to land it to change zoom. I'm not sure why it's important for people to have fast lenses on drones as most shooting is during the day which means that light isn't the issue and it's rare to want to worry about depth of field in any shot I've seen from a drone. Mostly you want to find the sweet spot of the lens resolution which is typically a few stops down from wide open. I sometimes wonder about drone pilots trying to learn cinematography which is a pretty long learning road. There's so much misinformation on these forums, it would probably be worth learning the basics and then applying these to these amazing cameras that are now on the Inspire 2's.
Hi,
Thank you for your thoughts.
Now that you are the more experienced of us two, another question on the Olympus 14-42.
I experience a rattling sound when the gimbal initializes that seems to come from the lens. Would that be normal?
Regards,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP