Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why commercial drone pilots don't need FAA License

Here's another thought regarding the FAA; I live in CT where the gun drone kid did his test flight and posted it on YouTube. The FAA has responded by saying they have no jurisdiction in the case even though their own regulations specifically say it is absolutely illegal to mount ANY firearm on ANY civilian aircraft (synopsis by Twitter"Droneguy" lawyer). Are you kidding me?
The FAA has no teeth because their broke(n).

Sky,
The FAA isn't aiming for safety or anything else for that matter. It's a simple old school, good ole' boy system. If they were about safety they would have had regulations in place A LONG TIME AGO! The problem is the FAA doesn't suffer from budget cuts & is free to overrun their costs for anything they dream up. You realize that new radar system they developed about 7 years ago, doesn't have a single provision to manage anything unmanned! Here's an article on it:

http://www.equipmentworld.com/faas-...-doubts-over-commercial-flight-regs-increase/

The FAA has spent $5 billion on the NexGen radar system & their saying that it's impossible to include UAS as part of the system. Congress asked the FAA to make this the system future proof radar, streamlined, highly efficient, & they didn't even consider a UAS to be part of it... How stupid can you be a still keep your job?

If you want proof of the lack of safety, then ask yourself, why haven't they mentioned any requirement for licensed maintenance? Sure they want a pilot's license to operate a UAS but, who performs maintenance? Anyone? Come on.... It's a double standard, that they apply only as they are told to by their good ole' boy club.
Your tone implies your stance on the FAA. You, of course, are aware that there is another agency that I would hope you hold in respectful status, NASA. They are the agency now working with Verizon on using the existing mega-infrastructure for NAS envelope awareness to include UAVs in the prescribed zone below 400'AGL. Understand, it is the operator's responsibility to abide by the regulations and always be proactive in avoidance of other aircraft/obstacles/... Fly responsibly, and abide by regulations in place. if you intend/want to be good at what you do, constantly stay on top of your game and lead the way to a better industry. Get on board and Fly Safe!

I just don't understand how the FAA is telling us we can't make money shooting/producing video or photos with these things...that's all I'm saying. What does this have to do with flying safely?

I just don't understand how the FAA is telling us we can't make money shooting/producing video or photos with a small airplane! The nerve, or telling me I can't charge people to take them flying. uuurrgh..

My view is this...the FAA should not be involved regulating the commercial aspect of UAV's making money shooting video or photos. I think their concern should be public safety.

Obviously, there are some real idiots out there with UAV's that are endangering lives and potentially causing an overall ban of this technology...we see this daily on the news...mostly just the bad stuff...guns on drones, idiots over fire scenes, etc.

I would not mind having to take a test to demonstrate that I am a competent and safe flyer...and I would not mind paying reasonable fee to do so. Maybe this would help weed out the wackos, but in the end, I doubt it.

I just don't understand how the FAA is telling us we can't make money shooting/producing video or photos with these things...that's all I'm saying. What does this have to do with flying safely?

Their concern is safety, actually, which is why they've established the system they did. You just chose to see it as restriction.

It's not that your taking video with it that's their concern, if it was they'd try to regulate all video production, which they don't. They've come forward in some article (shortly after the youtube thing) where they said they don't understand commercial aspects very well, understandable it's not their job but you're flying an object into national airspace. At the current time, the only surefire way to make money is by using camera systems, whether you do photos or video, mapping, whatever...all uses cameras, that's why they are hitting that area.

Personally I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Ground school is a definite must (much like a drivers ed course) but a pilots license isn't so far fetched either, it's not that expensive, if you've got money for an inspire...I mean for real, cost me about $4k for my sport license, was done in just about 2 weeks...while the actual learning flying didn't teach a lot about uavs, i think its more important you know how to communicate properly with atc, small airports, know the airspace regulations. I think it makes you more professional...so many people just think "hey, I'm gonna buy a drone, and shoot stuff for people and make money" I think taking a good flight instruction course, learning how to fly, and everything is going to make you stand out from the wackos you speak of, anyone of them can bring their phantom or inspire and show an instructor they can fly safely.

All in all, I don't mind the exemption at all...it really makes you know if you're gonna invest in this industry and a potential future or you're the type of guy that's "just gonna buy a drone to make some money"

Reactions: ___1___
the FAA is for safety,,that's it, they want to keep flying of any kind as safe as possible. The requirement for a pilots license to fly a drone commercially is just a starting point, and remember, teh FAA will start with a very conservative approach.

I think the FAA will come out with licensing for drones, but if you have ever been involved with the FAA (I'm a private pilot) you know they move extremely slowly when it comes to making changes (look at how long before they would approve GPS for instrument landings),,

What we don't want is there to be such a scare by the general population that drones are endangering lives, that Congress gets involved,,,if that happens flying drones will change forever (can you imagine having to fill out paperwork everytime you fly, it could happen).

If you see someone using a drone for public good, try to get press for it,,we need more good press and less news about a drone flying somewhere it shouldn't

Btw just because the FAA gives you a 333 exemption it still doesn't mean you can actually fly commercially. The drone pilot for your company still needs a valid pilots license, which the minimum one is a sports license.

Reactions: Firefly_AI
I am in the overkill zone when it come to a license. In fact I am amazed by the polarization of this topic. How about we throw in a security clearance for operators and background checks! It will come after the first weaponized attack on U.S. soil with one and gee guess what, the perp won't need a pilots license to kill americans!
I do not feel shelling out 6k to get a pilots license is very practical, I do see a ground exam tailored to UAV's with all the topics now covered in a pilots exam and have no problem with that (JUST GET IT DONE!). in fact I have a training package and will take the pilots exam. Hopefully the FAA will back off!
Commercial application and extreme license requirements are not going to safe airspace! Get real! This is the same B.S. about gun laws, prohibit the law abiding citizen and let criminals get away with what they are doing!
The FAA should be working to safe the air space, maybe one day I will wake up and see someone with the balls file a suit against the FAA.

I am in the overkill zone when it come to a license. In fact I am amazed by the polarization of this topic. How about we throw in a security clearance for operators and background checks! It will come after the first weaponized attack on U.S. soil with one and gee guess what, the perp won't need a pilots license to kill americans!
I do not feel shelling out 6k to get a pilots license is very practical, I do see a ground exam tailored to UAV's with all the topics now covered in a pilots exam and have no problem with that (JUST GET IT DONE!). in fact I have a training package and will take the pilots exam. Hopefully the FAA will back off!
Commercial application and extreme license requirements are not going to safe airspace! Get real! This is the same B.S. about gun laws, prohibit the law abiding citizen and let criminals get away with what they are doing!
The FAA should be working to safe the air space, maybe one day I will wake up and see someone with the balls file a suit against the FAA.
There are several pending cases. Example is (twitter-droneguy) Peter Sachs.

Because the moment you take off you are operating in the National Airspace System (NAS) which is governed by the FAA. You cannot ask them to regulate this space, keep it safe for everyone, then allow yahoos with a drivers license and a few hours of ground school access to it. The safest way to weed out the wackos is to make it difficult for them.
Weeds out people that are not good and have no license? One needs to learn to be a pilot? Funny, just how much of the process do you feel covers or is related to drones flying under 400 feet and in line of sight? I don't think a license that requires pilot level will do anything to stop the fools flying in downtown Seattle and dropping on the crowd below or flying into power lines. Idiots are Idiots License or no license!

Weeds out people that are not good and have no license? One needs to learn to be a pilot? Funny, just how much of the process do you feel covers or is related to drones flying under 400 feet and in line of sight? I don't think a license that requires pilot level will do anything to stop the fools flying in downtown Seattle and dropping on the crowd below or flying into power lines. Idiots are Idiots License or no license!
That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. Of course aviation being the safest form of travel would suggest you are wrong and that the current regulations and licensing are working fairly well. Additionally- just because the FAA says you can fly up to 400 feet agl does not mean you have that space to yourself. If you intend to share that space for a living it would behoove you to learn about the other aircraft in that space.

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. Of course aviation being the safest form of travel would suggest you are wrong and that the current regulations and licensing are working fairly well. Additionally- just because the FAA says you can fly up to 400 feet agl does not mean you have that space to yourself. If you intend to share that space for a living it would behoove you to learn about the other aircraft in that space.
I don't need 400 feet only 100 or below! Who fly's that low?

Their concern is safety, actually, which is why they've established the system they did. You just chose to see it as restriction.

It's not that your taking video with it that's their concern, if it was they'd try to regulate all video production, which they don't. They've come forward in some article (shortly after the youtube thing) where they said they don't understand commercial aspects very well, understandable it's not their job but you're flying an object into national airspace. At the current time, the only surefire way to make money is by using camera systems, whether you do photos or video, mapping, whatever...all uses cameras, that's why they are hitting that area.

Personally I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Ground school is a definite must (much like a drivers ed course) but a pilots license isn't so far fetched either, it's not that expensive, if you've got money for an inspire...I mean for real, cost me about $4k for my sport license, was done in just about 2 weeks...while the actual learning flying didn't teach a lot about uavs, i think its more important you know how to communicate properly with atc, small airports, know the airspace regulations. I think it makes you more professional...so many people just think "hey, I'm gonna buy a drone, and shoot stuff for people and make money" I think taking a good flight instruction course, learning how to fly, and everything is going to make you stand out from the wackos you speak of, anyone of them can bring their phantom or inspire and show an instructor they can fly safely.

All in all, I don't mind the exemption at all...it really makes you know if you're gonna invest in this industry and a potential future or you're the type of guy that's "just gonna buy a drone to make some money"

Very well said. You now have a sport license?

Many fine comments guys and gals. I agree with much of what I read. Here's my thoughts. We license people in the U.S. to drive. How often do you scream and curse at drivers who do stupid things with their cars and put others in danger. For me, EVERYDAY! When you first get your driver's license you're even required to do a driving test. Yet people forget, ignore, disregard the things they've learned and demonstrated in their test. The same WILL be true for quad copter hobbyists. I don't like a tough test any more than anyone else but it may be inevitable for flying commercially. If so, I'll study, practice and do my best to get licensed. Even still, there's the question of enforcement. Regardless of what is required by the FAA in the future, if there is no enforcement of the rules, the people who do stupid stuff will continue to do so. Enforcement of the rules may require that drones be confiscated by the gov. Perhaps a system like some states have for drivers, three-strikes laws, get three violations and you lose your drone, period. Buy another one and get a fourth violation and you go to jail. Just saying, without real penalties, people don't learn. None of this should effect the commercial user except to maybe keep the skies safer.

Drones may be like anything else for most people (non commercial users), it's hot so everyone wants one. Then, after shooting several videos of yourself riding a bike, skiing, whatever, people get bored and move on to the next hot thing.

As drone use increases among amateurs, watch how many places ban them...ski lodges, city parks (including bike trails), lakes controlled by associates or governments. etc. That will kill off a lot of peoples' interest in flying.

Actually the faa is going to require a TSA screening which is very intrusive.
The reason I've heard for this screening is to catch potential terrorist. .
like a terriost is going to get a TSA..
the more I read about needing a pilots license and TSA to obtain a comercial drone license the more I feel it's malarkey. ..
I don't believe you need to be flying a drone over 400 feet in the same airspace as aircraft unless you have a military type drone,then of course you would need a pilots license. .
There's only a few times when you would in counter a airplane under 500 feet which are airports while taking off and landing , fire fighting aircraft, crop dusters .
all of which should be avoided. ..
It seems like a simple problem to work out...
drones stay under 400 feet and aircraft stay over 500 feet..
anything past a written proficiency test and a flight skills test is clearly overkill. .
More importantly a drone pilot should carry some type of personal injury and property damage insurance ..
Aircraft get the airspace over 500 and drones under 400..

This morning while I was out walking a large helicopter used for lifting passed about 200' over my head. This is the type of old helicopter you see lifting heavy objects onto building (normally air conditioning systems), it appeared to be headed toward downtown Dallas (about 20 miles away)

Downtown Dallas is just south of Love Field,,,so I'm sure to get the helicopter in safely Air Traffic Control sent it in low and out of the way...so yes, aircraft do fly below 500',,,it happens a LOT more often than you think

He was moving very slow, probable because of the altitude, slow enough I waved and he waved back

As far as TSA screening, sure, I would feel better if they made everyone flying a drone go through TSA screening

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop